Sarah Jane Sargent (Minshall)
|Birthplace:||Of Whitchurch,,,, Salop, Shropshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Malden, Massachusetts, USA|
|Place of Burial:||Barnstable, Massachusetts, USA|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Sarah Sargent (Minshall)
About Sarah Sargent (Minshall)
- Sargent genealogy : Hugh Sargent, of Courteenhall, Northamptonshire and his descendants in England (1895)
- Hugh Sargent must have been born about the year 1530. He died Feb. 23, 1595/6, (buried 1st of March).
- That he heeded the Scripture injunction, "Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth," is evidenced by the fact that he was the father of fifteen children, the eldest having been born in 1556, and the youngest in 1579.
- His children, in their order of birth, were : —
- IV. Roger, b. about 1562 ; m. Jan. 3, 1589/90, Ellen Makernes (d. October, 1645, buried the 21st). He died July, 1649 (buried the 16th).
- Ellen, wife of Roger Sargent, was daughter of William Makernes, of Finedon, thirteen and a half miles north-easterly from Northampton. The will of William Makernes, dated March 10, 1612,. proved March 30, 1616, names sons, Richard, Edmund, George, and William, "son-in-law Roger Seargeant," and daughter, Margery Chapman.
- Roger Sargent (probably named for his mother's brother, Roger Gilford, or his great-grandfather of the same name) was junior bailiff in 1616 and 16 17, and mayor of Northampton in 1626. The following is a copy of his will : — .... etc.
- Children of Roger (son of Hugh).
- VII. William, bap. June 20, 1602; m. 1st Hannah ---- (d. September, 1632, buried 20th); 2d, Marie ---- (d. probably in 1637); 3d, Sarah, widow of William Minshall, of Whitchurch, county of Salop, Gent, and earlier of Bunbury, in Cheshire.
- William Sargent was made freeman of Northampton July 20, 1626, and was senior bailiff, 1632-33. He came to New England in 1638. (See "American Lineage.")
- Children of William (son of Roger) and Hannah.
- I. Elizabeth, bap. July 3, 1628; d. January, 1629/30.
- II. Hannah, bap. July 13, 1629; came to New England with her father.
- III. Elizabeth, bap. Sept. 12, 1630; came to New England with her father.
- IV. Mary, bap. Sept. 2, 1632; probably d. in infancy
- Children of William and Marie.
- I. Sarah, bap. Oct. 26, 1635; probably d. in infancy.
- II. Marie, bap. Jan. 22, 1636/7; probably d. in infancy.
- Children of William and Sarah. (See "American Lineage."
- By the Barnstable records it appears that William died Dec. 16, 1682, and his wife Sarah, Jan. 12, 1688/9.
- Children of William and Hannah. (See "English Ancestry.")
- 2. I. Hannah, b. in England; m. in 1649 Henry Felch, of Reading; d. Dec. 15, 1717. A
- 3. II. Elizabeth, b. in England; m. about 1651 David Nichols; m. Jan. 14, 1652/3, Thomas Bill of Boston; d. March 5, 1657/8. A
- Children of William and Sarah, b. in Charlestown (Mystic Side).
- 4. I. John, b. December, 1639 (bap. on the 8th); m. March 19, 1662, Deborah Hillier, of Barnstable (b. at Yarmouth, Oct. 30, 1643; d. April 20 1669; da. of Hugh); m. Sept 3, 1669, Mary Bense (d. February, 1670/1); m. 3d, Lydia Chipman, of Barnstable (b. at Barnstable, Dec. 25, 1654; d. March 2, 1730; dau. of John); d in Malden, Sept. 9, 1716. Ch. 7-21. P-P
- John Sargent (born in Charlestown) went to Barnstable with his father, and was admitted to inhabit there between 1662 and 1666. He returned to Malden about 1669, .... etc.
- Like his transatlantic great-grandfather, he heeded the scripture injuction; and all his fifteen children are named in his will of May 20, 1708. .... etc.
- 5. II. Ruth, b. Oct. 25, 1642; m. about 1663 Jonathan Winslow, of Marshfield (son of Josiah and a nephew of Governor Edward Winslow); m. July, 1677, Richard Bourne, of Sandwich (b. in England; m. in 1694 John Chipman, of Sandwich; d. Oct. 4, 1711. A-P
- 6. III. Samuel, b. March 3, 1644/5; made freeman of Plymouth Colony in 1684; d. Sept. 22, 1710, um.
- His slate gravestone is near that of his brother.
- The New England historical and genealogical register, Volume 75 By Henry Fitz-Gilbert Waters, New England Historic Genealogical Society
- 1. HUGH SARGENT, of East Haddon and later of Courteenhall, co. Northampton, Gent., born probably about 1530, died 28 Feb. 1595/6, and was buried at Courteenhall 1 Mar. 1595/6. He married, about 1554(f) MARGARET GIFFORD, born about 1535, daughter
- of Nicholas, Gent., and Agnes (Maister) of St. James near Northampton. (Vide supra, 19.) Children: (*) .... etc.
- 2. ROGER SARGENT (Hugh), of the town of Northampton, mercer, born about 1560, was buried in the parish of All Saints, Northampton, in July (perhaps 5 July) 1649. He married, 3 June 1589, ELLEN (or ELEANOR MAKERNES (or MACHARNES), baptized at Finedon, co. Northampton, 24 Nov. 1564, buried at Northampton 20 Oct. 1645, daughter of William and Agnes (Harrgat) of Finedon.(t)
- Roger Sargent was an alderman of Northampton in 1616, senior bailiff the following year, and mayor in 1626. his will dated 12 Apr. 1649 and proved 22 Feb. 1649/50, is printed in Aaron Sargent's "Sargent Genealogy," 1695, pages 16-17.
- Children, recorded in the parish of All Saints, Northampton:(+) .... etc.
- Pg. 140
- 3. WILLIAM SARGENT (Roger, Hugh), of Northampton, haberdasher, and of New England, baptized in the parish of All Saints, Northampton, 20 June 1602, died at Barnstable, in the Plymouth Colony in New England, 16 Dec. 1682. he married first, probably about 1627, HANNAH ----, who was buried at All Saints 25 Sept. 1632; secondly, probably about 1634, MARY ---- , who died probably in 1637; and thirdly, probably in 1638, SARAH (----) MINSHALL, who died at Barnstable in the Plymouth Colony 12 Jan. 1688/9, widow of William Minshall of Whitchurch, co Salop, Gent.
- William Sargent, like his father, resided in the parish of All Saints, Northampton. He was made a freeman of Northampton 20 July 1626, being then called son of Roger Sargent. He was senior bailiff in 1632-3. His name appears for the last time in the register of All Saints in the entry of the baptism of his daughter Mary, 22 Jan. 1636/7, and his is
- next found at Charlestown, Mass., where he was admitted to the church on 10 Mar. 1638/9. .... etc.
- William Sargent was admitted a freeman in the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1639. He removed to Malden, Mass., where he was a deacon and lay preacher in the church. His farm was in that part of Malden which was set off in 1870 as the town (now the city) of Everett. He removed to Barnstable, probably in 1656 or 1657, was made a freeman of the Plymouth Colony in 1657, and was a preacher also at Barnstable. His will, dated 9 Mar. 1679/80, is printed in Aaron Sargent's "Sargent Genealogy," where also further details of his life in New England and a genealogy of his descendants may be found.
- Children by first wife, baptized at All Saints, Northampton:
- i. ELIZABETH, bapt. 3 July 1628; bur. at All Saints 5 Jan. 1629/30.
- ii. HANNAH, bapt. 13 July 1629; came to New England; d. at Reading, Mass., 15 Dec. 1717, "being near a 100 years old"; m. in 1649 HENRY FELCH of Reading, who d. there 11 Nov. 1699. Eleven children.
- iii. ELIZABETH, bapt. 12 Sept. 1630; came to New England; d. 5 Mar. 1657/8; m. (1) about 1651 DAVID NICHOLS of Boston, who d. 13 Mar. 1652/3; m. (2) 14 June 1653 THOMAS BILL of Boston, who m. (2) Abigail Willis, dau. of Michael, and d. 29 Oct. 1696. Two sons by second husband.
- iv. MARY, bapt. 2 Sept. 1632; bur. at All Saints 9 Feb. 1635/6.
- Children by second wife, baptized at All Saints, Northampton:
- v. SARAH, bapt. 22 Oct. 1635; probably d. young.
- vi. MARY, bapt. 22 Jan. 1636/7; probably d. young.
- Children by third wife:
- vii. JOHN, of Barnstable and of Malden, Mass., bapt. at Chrlestown, Mass., 8 Dec. 1639; d. at Malden 9 Sept. 1716, aged 76 years, 9 months; m. (1) 19 Mar. 1662/3 DEBORAH HILLIER of Barnstable, b. at Yarmouth in the Plymouth Colony 30 Oct. 1643, d. 20 Apr. 1669, dau. of Hugh; m. (2) 3 Sept. 1669 MARY BENSE, who d. s.p. in Feb. 1670/1; m. (3) LYDIA CHIPMAN of Barnstable, b. at Barnstable 25 Dec. 1654, d. 2 Mar. 1729/30, dau. of Elder John and Hope (Howland). Four children by first wife and eleven children by third wife.
- viii. RUTH, b. at Charlestown, Mass., 25 Oct. 1642; d. 4 Oct. 1711; m. (1) about 1663 JONATHAN WINSLOW of Marshfield in the Plym-
- outh Colony, b. in 1638, bur. 8 Sept. 1676, s. of Josiah and Margaret and newphew of Gov. Edward Winslow; m. (2) in July 1677, as his second wife, RICHARD BOURNE of Sandwich in the Plymouth Colony; m. (3) in 1684, as his second wife, ELDER JOHN CHIPMAN of Sandwich. One son by first husband.
- ix. SAMUEL, b. at Charlestown, Mass., 3 Mar. 1644/5; d. unm. at Malden 22 Sept. 1710, in his 66th year.
Name: Sarah Jane Minshall
Given Name: Sarah Jane
Birth: Abt 1609 in Whitechurch, Shropshire, England
Death: 12 Jan 1688/89 in Malden, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
Reference Number: Sharrow-909108
Change Date: 3 Jul 2007 at 15:23
Marriage 1 William Sargent b: 20 Jun 1602 in Courteenhall, Northampton, England c: 20 Jun 1602 in Courteenhall, Northampton, England
Married: Abt 1638 in Charlestown, Suffolk County, Massachusetts
Sarah Sargent (Minshall)'s Timeline
Salop, Shropshire, England
Charlestown, Suffolk, Mass
December 8, 1639
Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts
October 25, 1642
Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts
March 3, 1645
Charlestown, Middlesex County, Ma
Charlestown [present Boston], Suffolk County, Massachusetts
January 12, 1689
Malden, Massachusetts, USA
March 3, 1932
June 12, 1932
September 29, 2001