About Sibylle de Sicile
13. [SIBYLLE] of Sicily. Orderic Vitalis records that Adelaida, widow of Roger I Count of Sicily, arranged the marriage of "her daughter" (unnamed) to Robert de Bourgogne whom she appointed co-regent for her son. Kerrebrouck says that Sibylle was the possible name of this daughter and that she was born from his third marriage, presumably reading the passage in Orderic Vitalis literally. It seems more likely chronologically that she was the daughter of Count Roger's second marriage. m (1102 or 1103) ROBERT de Bourgogne, son of ROBERT I "le Vieux" Duke of Burgundy & his [first/second wife] [Hélie de Semur/Ermengarde [Blanche] d'Anjou] (-poisoned ). He is named as son of Duke Robert by Orderic Vitalis. Jean Richard suggests that Robert was the son of Duke Robert by his second marriage. Given his active career in the early 12th century, a birth date in the 1050s is more likely than in the late 1030s/early 1040s, but there appear to be no surviving primary source which point either way. Orderic Vitalis records that he was declared heir to the duchy of Burgundy by his father, after the death of his older [half-]brother, but was dispossessed by his nephew Duke Hugues I. He left Burgundy to take part in the expedition against the Moors in León with his nephew Duke Eudes 5 Aug 1087. Orderic Vitalis records that he "made a friendly alliance" with Adelaida, widow of Roger I Count of Sicily, who arranged his marriage and appointed him co-regent for her son. He was murdered by his mother-in-law with a poisoned draught after Count Roger II came of age. His death date is estimated from Orderic Vitalis recording that "for ten years he defended the principality [Sicily] vigourously against all attacks".
Her parents were: ROGER de Hauteville, son of TANCRED de Hauteville & his second wife Fressenda --- (-Mileto 22 Jun 1101, bur Mileto, Abbey of the Holy Trinity) and his second wife m () EREMBURGE de Mortain, daughter of ROBERT Comte d'Eu [Normandie] & his first wife Béatrice --- (-)
She had eight siblings:
- 6. [FELICIA] of Sicily (-). ... m (1097) as his first wife, KÁLMÁN "Könyves/the Bookman" King of Hungary, son of GÉZA I King of Hungary & his first wife Sophie van Looz (1065-3 Mar 1116).
- 7. GODEFROI "il Leproso" of Sicily (-[1096/1120]).
- 8. MAUGER of Sicily .
- 9. CONSTANCE of Sicily (-after Jul 1101). ... m (1095) KONRAD King of Italy, son of Emperor HEINRICH IV & his first wife Berthe de Savoie (12 Feb 1074-27 Jul 1101).
- 10. MURIELLA of Sicily (-after 1119). ... m JOSBERT de Lucy, son of --- (-after 1110).
- 11. MATHILDE of Sicily (-after ). ... m (before 1127, separated [1130/32]) RAINULFO Conte di Alife e di Avellino, son of ROBERTO Conte di Airola, Alife e Caiazzo & his wife Gaitelgrima --- (-30 Apr 1139).
- 12. FLANDINA of Sicily. ... m (before 1094) ENRICO del Vasto, son of MANFREDO del Vasto Marchese di Savona & his wife --- (-1137).
- 14. JUDITH of Sicily (-before 19 Oct 1136).
She had nine half-siblings from her father's first and third marriages and from a concubine. (see: )
Sibylle de Sicile's Timeline