Edmund Compton, Sir
|Also Known As:||"Sir Edmund Compton"|
|Birthplace:||Compton, Warwickshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Warwickshire, England, United Kingdom|
Son of Robert Compton; Robert De Compton; Robert Compton; Agnes Compton; Agnes De Compton
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Sir Edmund de Compton
About Sir Edmund de Compton
Compton Wynyates is a country house in Warwickshire, England, and is a Grade I listed building. The Tudor period house is constructed of red brick and built around a central courtyard. It is castellated and turreted in parts. Following the Civil War, half timbered gables were added to replace the damaged parts of the building. Today, set in its topiary gardens and green lawns, it represents the perfect ideal of the English country house. However, the story of the family who have lived there for over five hundred years is less than idyllic, and their history is perhaps more inextricably linked to the history of their house than that of any other family and mansion in England. The house has prospered, declined and prospered again alongside the family; it has even been wounded in battle alongside its owner.
The Compton family, who live today in this private house, are recorded as resident on the site as early as 1204. The family continued to live in the manor house here as knights and squires of the county until Sir Edmund Compton decided circa 1481 to build a new family home.
Edmund Compton constructed the house of bricks which have a glowing raspberry colour of striking intensity. Edmund's four-winged house around a central courtyard is recognisable by the thickness of the 4ft deep walls which form the core of the existing mansion. This new fortified house was fully moated, and parts of the moat form a pond in the garden today. There was also a second moat (probably dry) and second drawbridge. However, fortifications were not the only consideration for the new mansion--dark brick diapering and decorative mouldings add variety to the façade. Over the entrance the Royal Arms of England are supported by the dragon and greyhound of Henry VII and Henry VIII. The architect or mason builder is unknown.