Sir Frederick Gowland Hopkins, Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, 1929
|Birthplace:||Eastbourne, East Sussex, England, United Kingdom|
|Death:||Died in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England, United Kingdom|
|Managed by:||Michael Lawrence Rhodes|
Historical records matching Sir Frederick Gowland Hopkins, Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, 1929
About Sir Frederick Gowland Hopkins, Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, 1929
Sir Frederick Gowland Hopkins OM FRS (20 June 1861 – 16 May 1947) was an English biochemist who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1929, with Christiaan Eijkman, for the discovery of vitamins. He also discovered the amino acid tryptophan, in 1901. He was President of the Royal Society from 1930 to 1935.
Hopkins, Sir Frederick Gowland. 20/06/1861-16/05/1947. Ref: 2837. Male.
- Titles and British Honours: Knight (1925), OM (1935).
- Place of Birth: Eastbourne, Sussex.
- Profession: Chemist, Biochemist.
- Appointments Held: Lecturer 1898-1902, Reader 1902-21, Chemical Physiology, Professor 1921-43, Biochemistry, Cambridge University.
- Schools and Tutors: City of London School.
- Undergraduate Studies: B.Sc (London 1890) MA, MB (1894).
- Postgraduate Studies: D.Sc (Oxford 1922), Sc.D (Cantab 1933).
- Marital Status: Married (1898) Jessie Anne Stevens d.1956.
- Mother: Elizabeth Gowland.
- Father: Frederick Hopkins.
- References: DNB 1941-1950, 1959, 406-8; Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society, 6, 115-40 signed H.H.Dale (portrait), 140-5 catalogue of publications; Who Was Who 4.
- Memberships: FRS (1905, President 1930-5).
- Date of Election: 04/07/1927.
- Proposers: Proposed by Council as Honorary British Fellow (Billet 4/7/1927).
- Notes: Joint Nobel Laureate,Physiology & Medicine 1929.
- Fellow Type: HF.
SOURCE: Waterston, Charles D; Macmillan Shearer, A (July 2006). Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002: Biographical Index. I. Edinburgh: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. ISBN 978-0-902198-84-5. page 455
Sir Frederick Gowland Hopkins, Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, 1929's Timeline
June 20, 1861
Eastbourne, East Sussex, England, United Kingdom
August 5, 1910
May 16, 1947
Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England, United Kingdom