About Sir John Berry, Colonial Governor of New Jersey
Sir John Berry (1635 – 14 February 1689 or 1690) was an English naval officer of the Royal Navy, and was in 1675 the captain of the annual convoy to Newfoundland that took place during the years of the colony's founding.
Berry's advocacy of the right of the small number of settlers to remain in Newfoundland, which was opposed by the British Committee for Trade and Plantations, was an important factor in determining the future course of European settlement in Newfoundland.
Soon after British annexation of the Dutch province of New Netherland in 1664, Philip Cartaret, governor of what became the proprietary colony of East Jersey, granted land to Captain John Berry in the area known as Achter Kol He soon took up residence and called it "New Barbadoes," having previously resided on the island of Barbadoes. The land patent encompassed area between the Hackensack River and Saddle River in what is now Bergen County, New Jersey.
From 1672–1673, Berry was the Governor of the Province of New Jersey. He is recalled in the name of a stream in the New Jersey Meadowlands, Berrys Creek, and the historic Yereance-Berry House.