Matching family tree profiles for Sir John Clerk of Penicuik, 5th Baronet
About John Clerk, of Penicuik, 5th Baronet
CLERK OF PENNYCUIK, SIR JOHN, Bart. ?-24/02/1798. Ref: 329. Male.
- Titles and British Honours: 5th Baronet (1784).
- Place of Birth: Midlothian.
- Place of interment: Penicuik Churchyard. Midlothian.
- Profession: Naval Officer.
- Marital Status: Married Rosemary Dacre Appleby.
- Mother: Dorothea Clerk Maxwell.
- Father: Sir George Clerk Maxwell FRSE 1715-84.
- Other Family: Uncle of Sir George Clerk of Pennycuik, 6th Baronet FRSE 1787-1967.
- References: Shapin 99; S Devlin-Thorp Scotland's Cultural Heritage 1, 1981.
- Memberships: Highland Society (Director 1785).
- Date of Election: 17/11/1783.
- Proposers: Founder Member.
- Notes: Born 1736.
- Fellow Type: OF.
SOURCE: Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002, pt. 1. A-J, page 190
- Wikipedia contributors. "Sir John Clerk, 5th Baronet." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.
Sir George Clerk Maxwell died in 1784, and was succeeded by his eldest son, Sir John, who married Mary Dacre, but died without children in 1798...
Source: The life of James Clerk Maxwell:with a selection from his correspondence and occasional writings and a sketch of his contributions to science (Google eBook) By Lewis Campbell, William Garnett Macmillan, 1882
From p. 16..