About John Howard, MP, Sheriff Of Essex
- Sir John Howard, Sheriff of Essex, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire, & Huntingdonshire1,2,3,4,5,6
- M, #12722, b. circa 1365, d. 17 November 1436
- Father Sir Robert Howard7,8,9 b. c 1342, d. 18 Jul 1388
- Mother Margaret Scales7,8,9
- Sir John Howard, Sheriff of Essex, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire, & Huntingdonshire was born circa 1365 at of Wiggenhall, East Winch, Fersfield, & Terrington, Norfolk, England; Age 23 in 1388.3,4,6 He married Margaret de Playz, daughter of Sir John de Playz, 5th Lord Playz and Joan Stapleton, circa 22 June 1378; They had 1 son (Sir John, 7th Lord Plaiz).3,10,4,6 Sir John Howard, Sheriff of Essex, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire, & Huntingdonshire married Alice Tendring, daughter of Sir William de Tendring and Katherine Mylde, before June 1397; They had 2 sons (Sir Robert; & Henry, Esq.).3,4,5,6 Sir John Howard, Sheriff of Essex, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire, & Huntingdonshire left a will on 1 April 1435.4,6 He died on 17 November 1436 at Jerusalem, Israel; Buried beside his 2nd wife (Alice) at Stoke by Nayland, Suffolk.3,4,6 His estate was probated in 1437.4,6
- Family 1 Margaret de Playz b. c 1367, d. bt 7 Aug 1391 - 14 Aug 1391
- Sir John Howard, 7th Lord Plaiz+7,4,6 b. c 1385
- Family 2 Alice Tendring b. c 1385, d. 18 Oct 1426
- Henry Howard, Esq.+4,6 b. c 1400, d. b 1447
- Sir Robert Howard+11,4,6 b. c 1401, d. bt Jan 1436 - Apr 1436
- 1.[S3541] Unknown author, The Royal Descents of 500 Immigrants, by Gary Boyd Roberts, p. 317; Burke's Peerage, 1938, p. 1857; The Ancestry of Dorothea Poyntz, by Ronny O. Bodine, p. 68.
- 2.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. X, p. 542.
- 3.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 234.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 409.
- 5.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. III, p. 72.
- 6.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. III, p. 330-331.
- 7.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 233-234.
- 8.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 407-408.
- 9.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. III, p. 329-330.
- 10.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 634.
- 11.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 234-235.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p424.htm#i12722
- John HOWARD (Sheriff of Essex)
- Born: 1366
- Died: 17 Nov 1436, Jerusalem
- Notes: Sheriff of Hertford
- Father: Robert HOWARD (Sir)
- Mother: Margery SCALES
- Married 1: Margaret PLAIZ (d. 1381) (dau. of Sir John Plaiz)
- 1. John HOWARD
- 2. Margaret HOWARD
- Married 2: Alice TENDRING (d. 18 Oct 1426) (dau. of Sir William Tendring and Catherine Clopton)
- 3. Robert HOWARD of Stoke Neyland (Sir)
- 4. Henry HOWARD of Teringhampton
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/HOWARD1.htm#John HOWARD (Sheriff of Essex)1
- Sir John Howard1
- M, #274370, b. circa 1357, d. 17 November 1437
- Last Edited=13 Mar 2008
- Sir John Howard was born circa 1357.1 He died on 17 November 1437, while on a pilmgrimage to Jerusalem.1
- Children of Sir John Howard
- 1.Sir John Howard+1 d. 1409
- 2.Sir Robert Howard+1 b. c 1385, d. 1436
- 1.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 2, page 2906. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p27437.htm#i274370
- John Howard, 1st Duke of Norfolk, KG, Earl Marshal (c.1425 – 22 August 1485) was an English nobleman and soldier, and the first Howard Duke of Norfolk. ...
- John Howard, born about 1425, was the son of Sir Robert Howard of Tendring (1385–1436) and Margaret de Mowbray (1388–1459), eldest daughter of Thomas de Mowbray, 1st Duke of Norfolk (of the first creation) (1366–1399), by Elizabeth FitzAlan (1366–1425). His paternal grandparents were Sir John Howard of Wiggenhall, Norfolk, and Alice Tendring, daughter of Sir William Tendring. Howard was a descendant of English royalty through both sides of his family. On his father's side, Howard was descended from Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall, the second son of King John, who had an illegitimate son, named Richard (d.1296), whose daughter, Joan of Cornwall, married Sir John Howard (d. shortly before 23 July 1331). On his mother's side, Howard was descended from Thomas of Brotherton, 1st Earl of Norfolk, the elder son of Edward I of England by his second wife, Margaret of France, and from Edward I's younger brother, Edmund Crouchback. ....
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Howard,_1st_Duke_of_Norfolk
- HOWARD, Sir John (c.1366-1437), of Wiggenhall and East Winch, Norf., Stoke Nayland, Suff., Stansted Mountfichet, Essex, and Fowlmere, Cambs.
- Family and Education
- b.c.1366, s. and h. of Sir Robert Howard (d.1389) of Wiggenhall and East Winch by Margaret, da. of Robert, 3rd Lord Scales (d.1369), and Katherine, sis. and coh. of William de Ufford, 2nd earl of Suffolk. m. (1) c.1380, Margaret (c.1367-Aug. 1391), da. and h. of John, 5th Lord Plaiz, by his 2nd w. Joan, da. of Sir Miles Stapleton of Bedale, Yorks. and Ingham, Norf., 1s. d.v.p.; (2) bef. June 1397, Alice (d. 18 Oct. 1426), da. and h. of Sir William Tendring of Tendring Hall and Stoke Nayland by Katherine, wid. of Sir Thomas Clopton, 2s. Kntd. by Mar. 1387.
- ... etc. ...
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1386-1421/member/howard-sir-john-1366-1437
view all 12
Sir John Howard, MP's Timeline
Wiggenhall, Norfolk, England
Wiggenhall, Norfolk, , England
Wiggenhall, Norfolk, England
Stoke-by-Nayland, Suffolk, England
Tendring, Essex, England
November 17, 1437
Sheriff of Essex and Hertfordshire
Duke of Norfolk