Matching family tree profiles for Sir John Weld
About Sir John Weld
In about 1610, Sir Humphrey Weld's son, Sir John Weld (1582 - 1622/23) moved with his wife Lady Frances Weld (1586 - 1656/57), to an estate called Arnold's Court in Edmonton, Middlesex. In 1615 he built a chapel there for the estate workers and villagers. The chapel was originally known as Arnold's Chapel, and later as the Weld Chapel. In 1862 the church of Christ Church, Southgate was consecrated on the same site, and the old Weld Chapel was demolished. The book contains previously unpublished illustrations of the old chapel.
Sir John Weld and his wife Frances had nine children.
Thomas Colte owned Arnos Grove Estate until his death in 1584 when it was sold to Humphrey Weld, a Grocer of London, who later became The Lord Mayor of London. He lived at the Estate until his death in 1610, when his son John Weld took over the estate and built the Weld Chapel in 1615. Although a private family chapel, it was used by the local people, whose nearest church was All Saints Church in Church Street, Edmonton.
John Weld later Sir John, became a renowned brewer. His death in 1622 was commemorated by a memorial tablet, which can be found in the Christ Church, Southgate on Waterfall Road.
Wild Court WC2
It was in 1640 that John Weld, son of Sir Humphrey Weld, grocer and Lord Mayor of London in 1608, acquired the Queen Street mansion and named it Weld House. His family lived there until 1675 and at some point, presumably after the death of John, Mrs Weld received a letter from the Lord Mayor stating that he had been requested by the Lord Chamberlain to provide a house in London for the Spanish Ambassador who was shortly expected, and that he had chosen the Weld household. We have no knowledge of how long the Ambassador stayed, but it was of a sufficiently lengthy period to cause him to set up his private stables in nearby Parker Lane, now Parker Street.
- 14 His will.
- 356 Dennis Willcocks, The Weld family of Arnold's, Southgate.