Walter Devereux, 7th Baron Ferrers of Chartley
|Birthplace:||Weobley, Herefordshire, UK|
|Death:||Died in Leicestershire, England, United Kingdom|
Son of Sir Walter Devereux; Walter Devereaux; Elizabeth Devereux and Elizabeth Devereaux
|Managed by:||Jason Scott Wills|
About Walter Devereux, 7th Baron Ferrers of Chartley
Walter Devereux, jure uxoris 7th Baron Ferrers of Chartley (c. 1431 – 22 August 1485) was a minor member of the English peerage and a loyal supporter of the Yorkist cause during the Wars of the Roses. He was killed at the Battle of Bosworth Field, fighting for Richard III.
Walter was born in Weobley, Herefordshire. His parents were Walter Devereux, Lord Chancellor of Ireland from 1449 to about 1451 and his wife Elizabeth Merbury.
His mother was the daughter and heiress of Sir John Merbury, Chief Justice of South Wales.
At the age of only thirteen, Walter married Anne Ferrers, 7th Baroness Ferrers of Chartley - who predeceased him by seventeen years - and became Baron Ferrers of Chartley in right of his wife in 1462. They had at least five children:
- John Devereux, 8th Baron Ferrers of Chartley (1463 - 3 May 1501).
- Elizabeth Devereux. Married first Sir Richard Corbet of Morton Corbet and secondly Sir Thomas Leighton of Watlesborough.
- Anne Devereux, who married, as his first wife, Sir Thomas Tyrrell (c.1453–1510?), son of Sir William Tyrrell, slain at the Battle of Barnet in 1471, and his wife Eleanor Darcy.
- Isabel "Sybil" Devereux. Married Sir James Baskerville.
- Sir Richard Devereux.
- Sir Thomas Devereux.
He was knight of the shire for Herefordshire in 1450.
As a Yorkist, he held many offices under Edward IV. In 1461 and 1469, Walter was commissioner of array for Herefordshire, Shropshire and Gloucestershire, as well as Worcestershire in 1469. He also served in 1470 and 1471, as joint commissioner of array for Herefordshire, and then again in 1474 for Herefordshire and Shropshire. Walter's military career was also thorough. He fought at Towton in 1461, where he was made a Knight of the Garter. He also fought at Barnet and Tewkesbury.
Walter Devereux supported Richard III of England during his reign, and fought on his side at the Battle of Bosworth Field (22 August 1485). There, Lord Ferrers commanded in the vanguard under John Howard, Duke of Norfolk, alongside Sir Robert Brackenbury and Thomas Howard, Earl of Surrey. Devereux was slain during the initial fight with the opposing van under John de Vere, 13th Earl of Oxford, fighting next to the young John, Lord Zouche. An in-law, Sir John Ferrers, was also killed at Bosworth.
- Sir Walter Devereux, Lord Ferrers1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
- M, #11013, b. circa 1432, d. 22 August 1485
- Father Sir Walter Devereux, Sheriff of Herefordshire & Gloucestershire, Constable of Wigmore, Keeper of Leominster2,3,4,7,8 b. c 1412, d. 22 Apr 1459
- Mother Elizabeth Merbury2,3,4,7,8 b. c 1412, d. b 1459
- Sir Walter Devereux, Lord Ferrers was born circa 1432 at Cottesbach & Newbold Verdon, Leicestershire, Market Rasen, Lincolnshire, England; Age 26 or 27 in 1459.2,4,7 He married Anne Ferrers, daughter of Sir William Ferrers, 7th Baron Ferrers of Chartley and Elizabeth Belknap, before 26 November 1446; They had 3 sons (Sir John, Lord Ferrers; Sir Richard; & Sir Thomas) and 2 daughters (Elizabeth, wife of Sir Richard Corbet; & Isabel/Sibyl, wife of Sir James Baskerville).2,3,4,5,6,7,8 Sir Walter Devereux, Lord Ferrers married Jane (Joan) Verdun between 1481 and 29 September 1483.9,4 Sir Walter Devereux, Lord Ferrers died on 22 August 1485 at Battle of Bosworth Field, Market Bosworth, Leicestershire, England.4,7
- Family 1 Anne Ferrers b. Nov 1438, d. 9 Jan 1469
- Elizabeth Devereux+2,10,4,5,6,7 d. 1516
- Katherine Devereux+ b. c 1459
- Sir Richard Devereux b. c 1461
- John Devereux, 3rd Lord Ferrers+ b. c 1464, d. 3 May 1501 or 7 May 1501
- Sir Thomas Devereux b. c 1467
- Family 2 Jane (Joan) Verdun d. a 1522
- 1.[S2816] Unknown author, Lineage and Ancestry of HRH Prince Charles by Paget, Vol. II, p. 440.
- 2.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 310.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 3.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 163-164.
- 5.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 69.
- 6.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 294.
- 7.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 575-576.
- 8.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. V, p. 249.
- 9.[S11588] Some Early English Pedigrees, by Vernon M. Norr, p. 65.
- 10.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 473-474.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p367.htm#i11013
- Sir Walter Devereux, 1st Lord Ferrers (of Chartley)1
- M, #250952, b. circa 1432, d. 22 August 1485
- Last Edited=21 Apr 2012
- Sir Walter Devereux, 1st Lord Ferrers (of Chartley) was born circa 1432.2 He was the son of Sir Walter Devereux and Elizabeth Merbury.3 He married, secondly, Joan Verdon.1 He married, firstly, Anne Ferrers, daughter of Sir William Ferrers, 7th Lord Ferrers (of Chartley), on 26 November 1446.2 He died on 22 August 1485, killed in action.2
- He held the office of Member of Parliament (M.P.) for Herefordshire in 1460.2 He was invested as a Knight in 1461.2 He was created 1st Lord Ferrers, of Chartley [England by writ] on 26 July 1461.2 He was invested as a Knight, Order of the Garter (K.G.) in 1472.2 He fought in the Battle of Bosworth on 22 August 1485.2 He was attainted posthumously.2
- Children of Sir Walter Devereux, 1st Lord Ferrers (of Chartley) and Anne Ferrers
- 1.Sir Richard Devereux3
- 2.Sir Thomas Devereux3
- 3.Elizabeth Devereux+3
- 4.Isabel Devereux3
- 5.John Devereux, 2nd Lord Ferrers (of Chartley)+3 b. c 1463, d. fr 3 May 1501 - 7 May 1501
- 1.[S35] BLG1965 volume 1, page 580. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S35]
- 2.[S37] BP2003 volume 2, page 1875. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S37]
- 3.[S37] BP2003. [S37]
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p25096.htm#i250952
- Walter DEVEREUX (1º B. Ferrers of Chartley)
- Born: 1432, Carmarthenshire, Wales/ABT 1443, Weobley, Herefordshire, England
- Died: 23 Aug 1485, Bosworth Field, Leicestershire, England
- Notes: Knight of the Garter. Killed at the battle of Bosworth, fighting for Richard III.
- Father: Walter DEVEREUX (Sir)
- Mother: Elizabeth MERBURY
- Married 1: Anna (Agnes) FERRERS (8º B. Ferrers of Chartley) BEF 26 Nov 1446 /ABT 1456, Carmarthen Castle, Wales
- 1. John DEVEREUX (2º B. Ferrers of Chartley)
- 2. Richard DEVEREUX
- 3. Thomas DEVEREUX
- 4. Elizabeth DEVEREUX
- ¿5. Catherine DEVEREUX?
- Married 2: Jane ?
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/DEVEREUX.htm#Walter DEVEREUX (1º B. Ferrers of Chartley)
Walter Devereux, 7th Baron Ferrers of Chartley's Timeline
Weobley, Herefordshire, UK
November 26, 1446
Moreton Corbet, Shropshire, England
Chartley, Herefordshire, , England
Stowe, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
August 23, 1485
Leicestershire, England, United Kingdom