Matching family tree profiles for Sir William Huddesfield, Kt.
view all 14
About William Huddesfield, Kt.
- Sir William Huddersfield, Recorder of Exeter, Attorney General to Kings Edward IV & Henry VII, Justice of the Peace for Devonshire1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
- M, #54000, b. circa 1441, d. 20 March 1499
- Father William Huddersfield11,2,6,10 b. c 1416
- Mother Alice Gold2,6,10 b. c 1419
- Sir William Huddersfield, Recorder of Exeter, Attorney General to Kings Edward IV & Henry VII, Justice of the Peace for Devonshire was born circa 1441 at of Shillingford (near Exeter), Farringdon, Widecomb, & Witheridge, Devonshire, England.11,2,3 He married Elizabeth Bozom, daughter of Sir John Bozom and Joan Fortescue, after 9 September 1461; They had 1 daughter (Katherine, wife of Sir Edmund Carew).3,6,7,10 Sir William Huddersfield, Recorder of Exeter, Attorney General to Kings Edward IV & Henry VII, Justice of the Peace for Devonshire married Katherine Courtenay, daughter of Sir Philip Courtenay, Forester of Dartmoor and Elizabeth Hungerford, before 12 October 1479; They had 1 son, & 2 daughters (including Elizabeth, wife of Sir Anthony Poyntz).12,2,4,6,8,10 Sir William Huddersfield, Recorder of Exeter, Attorney General to Kings Edward IV & Henry VII, Justice of the Peace for Devonshire died on 20 March 1499; Buried at Shillingford, Devonshire.1,2,6,10 His estate was probated on 6 July 1499.6,10
- Family 1 Elizabeth Bozom d. b 12 Oct 1479
- Katherine Huddersfield+13,3,5,7,9 b. c 1462, d. a 9 Jun 1528
- Family 2 Katherine Courtenay b. c 1440, d. 12 Jan 1515
- Elizabeth Huddersfield+2,6,10 b. c 1483, d. b 20 Feb 1522
- 1.[S11583] The Wallop Family and Their Ancestry, by Vernon James Watney, p., 234.
- 2.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 595.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 403-404.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 31.
- 5.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 60.
- 6.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 395-396.
- 7.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 100.
- 8.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 403.
- 9.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 436-437.
- 10.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. IV, p. 424-425.
- 11.[S11583] The Wallop Family and Their Ancestry, by Vernon James Watney, p., 450.
- 12.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 258.
- 13.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 185.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p1797.htm#i54000
- Sir William Huddersfield1
- M, #250347
- Last Edited=12 Nov 2007
- Sir William Huddersfield lived at Shillingford, Devon, England.1
- Child of Sir William Huddersfield and Katherine Courtenay
- 1.Elizabeth Huddersfield+2
- 1.[S35] Volume 1, page 579. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S35]
- 2.[S35] See. [S35]
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p25035.htm#i250347
- Catherine COURTENAY
- Born: ABT 1438
- Died: 12 Jan 1515, Shillingford, Devonshire, England
- Father: Phillip COURTENAY of Powderham and Molland (Sir)
- Mother: Elizabeth HUNGERFORD
- Married 1: St. Clare POMEROY (Sir Knight) (d. 31 May 1471) (son of Henry De La Pomeroy and Alice Raleigh)
- Married 2: William HUDDESFIELD (Sir) ABT 1477
- 1. Elizabeth HUDDESFIELD ( b. ABT 1479) (m. Sir Anthony Poyntz)
- Married 3: Thomas ROGERS
- 2. Thomas (John) ROGERS
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/COURTENAY2.htm#Catherine COURTENAY1
- Edmund CAREW (Sir)
- Born: 1466
- Died: 24 Jun 1513, Thorounne
- Notes: supported Henry Tudor and was knighted by him at Bosworth as was Rhys ap Thomas. Sir Edmund died heavily in debt in 1513 while fighting in France. He was buried at Calais. His heirs were unable to keep up the mortgage payments and Carew castle was lost. It eventually became a crown possession, and was regained by the Carews about 100 years later.
- Father: Nicholas CAREW (Sir)
- Mother: Margery DYNHAM
- Married: Catherine HUDDESFIELD (d. 1499) (dau. of Sir William Hudsfield Kt., attorney general to Edward IV)
- 1. Thomas CAREW of Bickley (Sir)
- 2. William CAREW (Sir)
- 3. Anne CAREW
- 4. Dorothy CAREW
- 5. George CAREW (Sir)
- 6. Isabelle CAREW
- 7. Gawen CAREW (Sir)
- 8. Catherine CAREW
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/CAREW1.htm#Edmund CAREW (Sir)1
- CAREW, Sir Gawain (c.1503-85), of Exeter and Wood, Devon and of London.
- b. 1503, 4th s. of Sir Edmund Carew of Mohun’s Ottery, Devon by Catherine, da. and coh. of Sir William Huddesfield of Shillingford, Devon. m. (1) lic. 28 Jan. 1531, Anne, da. of Sir William Brandon, wid. of Sir John Shilston† of Wood and of Southwark, Surr., s.p.; (2) by July 1540, Mary, da. of Sir Robert Wotton of Boughton Malherbe, Kent, wid. of Sir Henry Guildford† of Leeds Castle, Kent and Blackfriars, London, s.p.; (3) by Dec. 1565, Elizabeth, da. of Sir John Norwiche, s.p. Kntd. 1545.
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/carew-sir-gawain-1503-85
- Sir Anthony Poyntz (1480? – 1533) was an English diplomat and naval commander. .... etc.
- His parents were Sir Robert Poyntz, and Margaret Woodville, an illegitimate daughter of Anthony Woodville, 2nd Earl Rivers. In 1523 he was administrator for his father. He inherited Iron Acton, where his descendants were seated for many generations.
- He married, first, Elizabeth, daughter of Sir William Huddesfield; and, secondly, Joan, widow of Sir Richard Guilford. His eldest son by Elizabeth was Sir Nicholas Poyntz, a prominent courtier who built Acton Court.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Poyntz
- Sir Philip II Courtenay (18 January 1404 – 16 December 1463) of Powderham,[a] Devon, was the senior member of a junior branch of the powerful Courtenay family .... etc.
- In about 1426 Courtenay married Elizabeth Hungerford, daughter of Walter Hungerford, 1st Baron Hungerford, Speaker of the House of Commons, Steward of the Household to KingsHenry V and Henry VI, and Lord High Treasurer. They had seven sons and four daughters:  .... etc,
- Katherine Courtenay (died 12 January 1515), who married thrice:
- Firstly Sir Seintclere Pomeroy (died 31 May 1471),
- Secondly Thomas Rogers,
- Thirdly Sir William Huddesfield (died 20 March 1499). of Shillingford St. George, Attorney General to King Edward IV. His monumental brass exists in Shillingford Church (with a copy rubbing framed in Powderham Castle Chapel) showing him dressed as a knight in armour, with sword and spurs. He is bare-headed, and wears over his armour a tabard, on which is embroidered the arms of Huddesfield: Argent, a fess between three boars passant sable, on the fess a crescent for difference. He kneels before a prie dieu, on which is an open book, and on the floor by his side lie his gauntlets, and helmet with mantling and crest, a boar rampant. Katherine his wife kneels behind the knight. She wears a pedimental head dress and lappets, gown, ornamented girdle, with dependant pomander. Over this she wears a robe of estate, on which is her arms: Or, three torteaux a label of three, for Courtenay. Behind her kneels her only son by her second husband, George Rogers, and following them her two daughters, by Sir William Huddesfield, in similar costume to their mother, Elizabeth Poyntz, and Katherine Carew. Below is this inscription (the abbreviations of the Latin extended): Conditor et Redemptor corporis et et anime Sit michi medicus et custos utriusque. Dame Kateryn ye wife of Sr Willm Huddesfeld & dought of S'r Phil' Courtnay kny'kt. In the centre of the cover-stone of the tomb is a shield with the arms of Huddesfield impaling Courtenay. When Westcote, in 1630, visited the church, he noted this inscription, which was probably on the ledger line round the table of the tomb, and has since disapappeared : "Here lieth Sir William Huddiffeild, knight, Attorney-general to King Edward IV, and of the Council to King Henry VII, and Justice of Oyer and Determiner; which died the l0th day of March, in the year of our Lord, 1499. On whose soul Jesus have mercy, Amen. Honor Deo et Gloria" 
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Philip_II_Courtenay
- POYNTZ, Sir Nicholas (by 1510-56), of Iron Acton, Glos. of London.
- b. by 1510, 1st s. of Sir Anthony Poyntz of Iron Acton by Elizabeth, da. and coh. of Sir William Huddesfield of Shillingford, Devon. m. 24 June 1527, Joan, da. of Thomas, de jure 5th Lord Berkeley, 5 or 6s. inc. Sir Nicholas† 3da. suc. fa. Sept. 1532/Feb. 1533. Kntd. Apr. 1535/Oct. 1536.2
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/poyntz-sir-nicholas-1510-56
Sir William Huddesfield, Kt.'s Timeline
Shillingford, Devon, England
Shillingford, Devon, England
Shillingford, Devon, , England
March 22, 1499
Shillingford, Devon, England
Powderham, Devon, England