William Miller, 2nd Baronet, Lord Glenlee
|Managed by:||Alisdair James Smyth|
About Sir William Miller, 2nd Baronet, Lord Glenlee
Miller of Glenlee, Lord Glenlee, William, Bart. 12/08/1755-09/05/1846. Ref: 1017. Male.
- Titles and British Honours: 2nd Baronet (1789).
- Place of Death: Barskimming, Ayrshire.
- Place of interment: Family Vault at Stair, Ayrshire.
- Profession: Advocate, Mathematician,Landowner.
- Appointments Held: Advocate 1777; MP 1780-1 Edinburgh; 1783-95 Principal Clerk of Justiciary; 1795-1840 Lord of Session; Lord President of the Court of Session.
- Schools and Tutors: High School, Edinburgh 1764-5.
- Undergraduate Studies: Edinburgh University.
- Marital Status: Married (1778) Grizel Chalmers d.1817.
- Mother: Margaret Murdoch.
- Father: Sir Thomas Miller of Glenlee, Lord Glenlee FRSE 1717-89.
- References: DNB 37, 1894, 426; F.J. Grant 1944; Shapin 331; S Devlin-Thorp Scotland's Cultural Heritage, 2, 1981, 64.
- Memberships: FSA(Scot).
- Date of Election: 17/11/1783.
- Proposers: Founder Member.
- Service to the RSE: Councillor 1786-90, President (Literary) 1790-c1812, Councillor (Literary) 1814-16, Vice-President 1816-46.
- Edinburgh Philosophical Society: Residential.
- Fellow Type: OF.
SOURCE: Waterston, Charles D; Macmillan Shearer, A (July 2006). Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002: Biographical Index. II. Edinburgh: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. ISBN 978-0-902198-84-5. page 650
- Complete baronetage; Cokayne, George E. (George Edward); 1906; Vol. V; page 260
- The History of Parliament: the House of Commons 1754-1790, ed. L. Namier, J. Brooke., 1964