|Birthplace:||Tullibardine, Perthshire, Scotland|
|Death:||Died in Perthshire, Scotland|
|Occupation:||Laird of Tullibardine|
|Managed by:||Justin Swanström|
About William Murray
Sir William de Moravia acquired the lands of Tullibardine in Perthshire in 1282 through his marriage with a daughter of Malise, seneschal of Strathearn. Sir William Murray of Tullibardine, who succeeded in 1446, had seventeen sons, many of whom founded prominent families of Murray. Sir John, 12th of Tullibardine, was created Lord Murray in 1604, and Earl of Tullibardine in 1606. William, 2nd Earl of Tullibardine, claimed the Earldom of Atholl by right of his wife but died before the patent was granted. His son, John, however, obtained the title of Earl of Atholl in 1629 and became the first Earl of the Murray branch.
(87) Sir William Murray got the above-mentioned lands from his brother. He married before 28th October 1284 Ada, daughter of Sir Malise, Steward of Strathearn, with whom he got the western half of the lands of Tullibardine.
ARMS on Seal, 1296. A chevron between three stars, a label of three points in chief (Laing's Seals). [Plate III., fig. 7.]
He was succeeded by his son:
(88) Andrew Murray of Tullibardine