Matching family tree profiles for Sir William Plumpton, I, Kt.
About William Plumpton, I
Sir William Plumpton (1404-15 October 1480) was a 15th century English aristocrat, landowner and administrator.
He was the grandson of Sir William Plumpton executed in 1405 for treason by Henry IV and the son of Sir Robert Plumpton of Plumpton Hall, Yorkshire. On the death of his father in 1421 he became the ward of Henry Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland.
He served in the French war 1427-30 and was knighted. On his return to England he was appointed by Northumberland as Seneschal of Knaresborough Castle and Steward of Northumberland's Spofforth estates.
Plumpton's own estates included Plumpton Hall, Yorkshire, Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire and Hassop Hall, Derbyshire. He represented Nottinghamshire in the Parliament of 1436. He served as High Sheriff of Yorkshire in 1447 and High Sheriff of Derbyshire in 1451.
During the War of the Roses he fought on the Lancastrian side at the Battle of Towton in 1461, where his son William and his benefactor Henry Percy, 3rd Earl of Northumberland were slain. Plumpton was captured but later was pardoned by Edward IV and regained his offices in 1471.
He married firstly in 1430, Elizabeth Stapleton of Carlton, Yorkshire and secondly in 1451 Joan Winteringham.
- 'Beatty-Asfordby; the ancestry of John Beatty and Susanna Asfordby, with some of their descendants ([c1909])
- 14. Sir William Beckwith of Clint, Knight, 1481, who, by his first wife, Elizabeth, the daughter of 'Sir William Plumpton of Plumpton', had issue:
- 11. Sir Robert Plumpton, of Plumpton, County York, son and heir. He was aged twenty-four, 8 Henry IV., 1407. He died 8 December, 1421, and was buried in the Plumpton Quire, Spofforth Church. His second wife was Alice, daughter and heiress of Sir Geoffery Foljambe of Hassop, County Derby, who was aged eight years in 1393, and was married 16 Richard II., 14 January, 1392-93. She died before 3 Henry V., 1416, and was buried at Spofforth, leaving issue :
- ' 12. Sir William de Plumpton, Knight, eldest son and heir. He was born 7 October, 6 Henry IV., 1404. He was in ward to Henry, Earl of Northumberland, High Sheriff of Yorkshire, in 1448, and died 15 October, 20 Edward IV., 1480, as per inquest, seised of the
- ' Manors of Garsington, Steeton, etc. He was twice married. By his first wife, Elizabeth, the daughter of Sir Brian Stapleton of Carlton, Knight, whom he married, 20 January, 1415-16, he had:
- 13. Elizabeth Plumpton, his third child and eldest daughter. She married William, son and heir of Thomas Beckwith of Clint, Esquire, 34 Henry IV. They had issue:
- 'The Beckwiths" (1891)
- Sir William Beckwith, 45, of Clint; Knight in 1481; married twice; his second wife was the daughter of Sir John Rattcliff, K. G.; by his first wife, Elizabeth, daughter of 'Sir William Plumpton', he had the following children:
- 'A genealogical and heraldic History of the Commoners of Great ..., Volume 2 By John Burke
- Pg. 636
- THOMAS BECKWITH, who wedded a daughter of Sir William Haslerton, knt. and in her right was lord of the third part of the manors of Filey Maston, and Thorp. He had issue,
- II. WILLIAM (Sir), who m. first Elizabeth, daughter of 'Sir William Plompton, knt. of Plompton', and by her had one son, William, who married Janetta, daughter of William Beckwith, of Clint, but d. s. p. in 1476. Sir William espoused, secondly, a daughter of Sir William Radcliffe, K. G. but had no other issue.
Name: William Plumpton 1
Birth: BET 7 AND 14 OCT 1404
Note: "Shortly after he was twenty-one, William went to the wars in France and returned just before September 9, 1430, being there a knight. He was Seneschal and Master Forester of the Honour and Forest Constable of the Castle of Knaresborough.
Father: Robert Plumpton b: 1383
Mother: Alice Foljambe
Marriage 1 Elizabeth Stapleton
Marriage 2 Joan Wintringham b: in Wintringham Hall, Knaresborough
Robert Plumpton b: 1453
Title: Coat of Arms Sutliff, Sutliffe, or Sutcliffe
Author: Compilation: Samuel Milton Sutliff, Jr. (1909); Donald D. Sutliff; Bennett Hurd Sutliff
Note: Not clear who published the final manuscript.
Note: A monumental work.
Note: Donald D. Sutliff, 605 SE 98th Ave., Vancouver, WA 98664 Phone 1-360-892-0949
Claims data from LDS site.
Sir William Plumpton, I, Kt.'s Timeline
October 7, 1404
Probably Plumpton, Yorkshire, England
January 20, 1416
Probably Carleton, Yorkshire, England
Of, Plumpton, Yorkshire, England
March 8, 1430
Of, Plumpton, Yorkshire, England
of, Plumpton, Yorkshire, England
Plumpton, Yorkshire, England
February 28, 1436
Plumpton, Yorkshire, , England