Susanna Smith (Kemball)
|Also Known As:||"Susan", "Kendall"|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Susanna Smith
- History of the Kimball family in America, from 1634 to 1897 : and of its ancestors the Kemballs or Kemboldes of England; with an account of the Kembles of Boston, Massachusetts by Morrison, Leonard Allison
- 1 Henry Kemball1, b. perhaps at Lawford, in the county of Essex, England, son of Richard Kemball of Lawford, wheelwright. Richard's will was proved Sept. 10, 1619. He gives to "my elldest sonne Henry Kemball all my worken Tooles belongeinge to my trad Except out of them as many as shall be fittinge for to searue to axe a cart withall." All the rest of his estate he leaves to his wife, Elizabeth, with the condition that as a "mother shee shall see all my children vertiouslye broughte upp, in the feare of God, according to her poore estate and Abilitye." Henry, the emigrant, may have been the Henry mentioned in the above will. This is, however, a matter of conjecture. We do know, however, that at one time he lived in the adjoining parish, for Henry Kemball of Mistley singleman and Susan Cutting widow of the parish of Great Bromley were married Nov. 27, 1628. Susan Cutting was the widow of Richard
- Cutting. Richard Cutting and Susan Stone were married Aug. 3, 1620, at Great Bromley. "Richard Cuttinge, the sonne of Richard Cuttinge, was baptized the sixth day of ffebruarie 1621."
- Susan Cuttinge, the daughter of Richard Cuttinge and Susan his wife was bap: the xjth of September 1625. The will of Richard Cutting of "Much Bromley" July 27, 1627, mentions his wife Susan and his children Richard and Susan. Richard came with his mother to this country and settled in Watertown, Mass. His descendants are given in Bond's History of Watertown. Henry Kemball died in 1648. His inventory is dated July 22, 1648. His homestead in Watertown was situated near the corner of what are now Belmont and Common streets. He also owned land in other parts of the town.
- Henry Kemball's widow, Susan, married for her third husband one Loe or Low. She survived him and died Aug. 19, 1684, aged 86.
- At a court appointed 1651, Thomas Straite acknowledged that he had received his wife Elizabeth's share of her father's estate. John Randall also acknowledged that he had received Susanna's share.
- In Bond's Watertown three more children are given as belonging to Henry. This careless error is also found in Savage's Dictionary. They were the children of Henry and Mary (Wyatt) Kimball of Wenham, Mass., as shown by the Watertown records. This Henry Kimball2 was the son of Richard Kimball1, and for some time after he was married he lived in Watertown, Mass. After the birth of these three children he moved to Ipswich and then to Wenham, Mass.
- i. Elizabeth2, bap. Nov. 1, 1629, at Mistly, England. She m. Capt. Thomas Straight of Watertown.
- ii. Susanna2, bap. May 27, 1632, Mistly, Sussex county, Eng. ; m. John Randall of Watertown, Mass.
- 2 iii. John2, b. Watertown, Mass., Mar. 5, 1638.
- 2 John Kimball2 (Henry1), b. Watertown, Mass., Mar. 5, 1638; m. Feb. 19, 1667-8, Hannah Bartlett. They lived on the homestead in Watertown, Mass. John Kemball of Water-
- town was allowed to be by the court "Sealer of Weights and Measures" and "Gager" of Casks in 1687 and 1688. He was a cooper by trade. He died June 7, 1714. She was born Aug. 6, 1643, died Nov. 22, 1715.
- i. Hannah3, b. July 11, 1671; d. 1675.
- ii. Susanna3, b. July 18, 1675; m. __ Smith.
- 3. iii. John3, b. Aug. 3, 1678; d. Jan. 1, 1758.
- iv. Hannah3, b. June 8, 1681; m. Jonathan Parke of Newton, Mass., for his third wife.
- .... etc.
- Note - SHE WAS DAU. OF HANNAH BARTLETT & JOHN KEMBALL/KIMBALL, NOT JOHN KENDALL, NOT BORN IN WOBURN.
- KENDALL, Susanna
- b. 18 JUL 1673 Woburn, Middlesex, Mass.
- Father: KENDALL, John
- Mother: BARTLETT, Hannah
- Marriage: 18 JUL 1693 Watertown, Middlesex, Mass.
- Spouse: SMITH, John
- b. 11 AUG 1669 Concord, Middlesex, Mass.
- d. 9 MAR 1759 Waltham, Middlesex, Mass.
- Father: SMITH, Thomas
- Mother: HOSMER, Mary
- SMITH, John
- SMITH, Susanna b. 20 MAR 1696/7 Watertown, Middlesex, Mass.
- SMITH, Hannah
- SMITH, Thomas b. 1 MAY 1700 Watertown, Middlesex, Mass.
- SMITH, James b. 14 FEB 1701/2 Watertown, Middlesex, Mass.
- SMITH, Samuel b. 15 FEB 1703/4 Watertown, Middlesex, Mass.
- SMITH, Joshua b. 6 SEP 1706 Watertown, Middlesex, Mass.
- SMITH, Mehitable b. 7 FEB 1708/9 Weston, Middlesex, Mass.
- SMITH, Moses
- SMITH, Elizabeth
- SMITH, Abraham b. 18 APR 1717 Weston, Middlesex, Mass.
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_25b.htm#19
Susanna Smith's Timeline
July 18, 1675
Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
March 31, 1698
Watertown, Middlesex, MA
February 14, 1701
Weston, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
March 9, 1759