view all 18
About Susanna Tuttle (Tothill)
- The genesis of the United States: a narrative of the movement in ..., *Volume 2 By Alexander Brown
- Harley (Hawley, etc.), Captain Henry. Possibly the third son of Jeremy Hawley, Esq., of Boston near Brentford, Middlesex, England. He died unmarried, ............. His brother, John Hawley, married Amy, daughter of Thomas Studley, ........... His eldest brother, 'JAMES HAWLEY, Esq., of Brentford, born in 1558, and still living in 1619, was twice married and had a large family, by his first wife, SUSAN, daughter of Richard TOTHILL of Devonshire'. He is said to have had seven sons, viz.: (1) Jerome, (2) Capt. Henry, (3) Dr. Richard, (4) James, (5) William, and two others. I think the two others were Gabriel, who died in Virginia, and John, who came to Virginia in 1619. ...........
- Debrett's Baronetage of England: with alphabetical lists of such baronetcies ... By John Debrett, William Courthope
- Jeremy Hawley, 2d son of John, was of Boston, near Brentford, co. Middlesex, and d. 1593; m. Kynburgh, da. of Valentine Saunders, of Sutton Court, co. Middlesex, by whom (who d. Feb. 1575) he had issue, besides several children, who d. infants,
- 1. 'JAMES'. 2. William, d. unm. 3. John, D. D., principal of Gloucester Hall, Oxford, m. Amy, da. of Thomas Studley, and had issue. 4. Henry, a merchant, d. unm. 5. Francis. 6. Mary, m. John Gaynsford, of Carshalton, co. Surrey. 7. Kynburgh, m. Richard Wroth.
- 'JAMES, son and heir of Jeremy, was also of Brentford, b. 1558, d. Sept. 1622, having m., 1st SUSANNA, da. of Richard TOTHILL of Amersham, by whom (who d. 1602) he had issue, 1. Jeremy, d. in Maryland, without male issue. 2. William, d. unm. 3. Richard. 4. James, m. but d. s. p. 1667. 5. Gabriel, d. unm. 6. Henry, of Barbadoes, m. and had issue. 7. Johanna, m. George Dethick, esq., son of sir William Dethick, knt., garter king of arms. 8. Catharine, m. William Thornborough. 9. Susanna, m. sir Richard Piers, of Barbadoes.
- 'JAMES HAWLEY, esq., m., 2ndly, ELIZABETH BURNELL, by whom (who d. 1621) he had issue, 10. Henry, a Spanish merchant, d. unm. 1675. 11. Valentine, of Barbadoes. 12. Thomas, of London, merchant, twice m., but d. s. p. 1680.
- ENCYCLOPEDIA of VIRGINIA BIOGRAPHY
- [Pages 107-108]
- Hawley, Jerome. Burke's "Peerage and Baronetage" gives the pedigree of the present baronet of the name of Hawley, tracing to an ancestor in Somersetshire, from whose eldest son the extinct Lords Hawley were descended, and whose second son, Jeremy Hawley, of Boston, near Brentford, Middlesex, England, was the father of (1) 'JAMES HAWLEY, Esq., of Brentford'; (2) John, who married Amy, daughter of Thomas Studley, possibly the first "Cape Merchant" of Virginia; and (3) Capt. Henry Hawley. John and Amy (Studley) Hawley had issue: (1) Jerome, of Virginia and Maryland; (2) Capt. Henry, governor of Barbadoes; (3) Dr. Richard, of London, ancestor of the present baronet; (4) James, who was also interested in the colonies and perhaps lived in Northumberland county, Virginia; (5) William, who came from Barbadoes to Maryland after the death of his brother Jerome, and was a signer of the Protestant Declaration of 1650. There were two other sons, who were probably Gabriel, who died in Virginia while holding the office of surveyor-general, and John, who came to Virginia in 1619. Jerome Hawley was a councillor of Maryland in 1634, and returned to England in the summer of 1635. On Jan. 5, 1637, the King appointed him treasurer of Virginia and a member of the council there. At this time he was "one of the gentlemen servers to Queen Henrietta Maria. He came to Virginia in march, but soon returned to Maryland, where he had large interests. he died about Aug., 1638, deeply in debt, an don the 14th of that month the Maryland authorities, who spoke of him as "late of St. Maries," appointed Thoams Cornwallis administrator of his estate.
- (THIS BOOK MAY HAVE INCORRECT PARENTAGE FOR JAMES HAWLEY)
- The descendants of William and Elizabeth Tuttle, who came from old to New England in 1635, and settled in New Haven in 1639, with numerous biographical notes and sketches : also, some account of the descendants of John Tuttle, of Ipswich; and Henry Tuthill, of Hingham, Mass. (1883)
- Richard Tothill m. Joan, dau. of Richard Grafton; i. 1. Jane, m. Andrew Kowldhurst. 2. Ais, m. Thomas Knowldhurst, 3. Mary, m. Jesse Snyder. 4. 'SUSAN, m. JAMES HAWLEY', s. of James, s. of William. 5. William. 6. James, m. Ellen, dau. of William Goch. 7. Richard. 8. John. 9. Elizabeth, m. William Bradshaw. 10. Judith. 11. Ann.
Susanna Tuttle's Timeline