Sybilla's Top Matches
About Sybilla Prudden
- 'Peter Prudden; a story of his life and New Haven and Milford, Conn. (1901)
- Pg. 72
- (I) Children of Samuel Prudden2 (son of Peter1) and Grace Judson were :
- (4) V. John3, born March 20, 1680, died 1762, married Mary Clark in 1707.*+
- * Mr. Pond of Milford thought that the two brothers, Samuel and John, of this generation married first cousins, Clarks.
- Pg. 73
- (4) Children of John Prudden3 (son of Samuel2, Peter1) and Mary Clark were :
- (6) I. John4, born 1708, died 1786; married Hannah Newton, the granddaughter of Roger Newton, the successor of Rev. Peter Prudden, as minister in Milford. +
- II. Joseph4, born June 21, 1712.
- (7) III. Job4, born 1714, married Esther Sherman of New Haven. His history was as closely identi-
- Pg. 74
- fied with the Second church in Milford as Peter Prudden's was with the First, which for a hundred years remained the only church in the town. In 1737, a dissatisfied minority formed a new church under the leadership of Ephraim Strong, Job's brother-in-law. So violent was the opposition, that Job Prudden, who had graduated from Yale College in 1734 and was invited to become their first pastor, was obliged to go to New Jersey for ordination. He was installed, however, in 1747 and served the church with great devotion and ability all his life, which was ended June 24th, 1774, when he was 59 years of age, by small pox contracted in visiting one of his parishioners. .....
- Pg. 75
- IV. Enoch4, baptized in 1719; unmarried.
- V. Johnathan4, baptized in 1722; no children.
- VI. Mary4, baptized 1728, married Ephraim Strong of Milford. (See the genealogy of the Strong family.)
- ' VI. Sybilia4, baptized 1732, died 1740.