Thomas Bayley, Sr. (1603 - 1681) MP

‹ Back to Bayley surname

Is your surname Bayley?

Research the Bayley family

Thomas Bayley, Sr.'s Geni Profile

Records for Thomas Bayley

192,882 Records

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Share

Nicknames: "Thomas Bailey"
Birthplace: Bromham, Wiltshire, England
Death: Died in Weymouth, Suffolk County, Massachusetts Bay Colony
Occupation: Planter
Managed by: Thomas Edward Shirley
Last Updated:
view all

Immediate Family

About Thomas Bayley, Sr.

Bailey as a word is derived BAILEY through the French bailie, from the mediaeval Latin ballium, which is a corruption of the Latin vallum, a rampart. The bailey was the whole space enclosed within the external walls of a castle with the exception of that covered by the keep. Sometimes this space consisted of several courts, divided from each other by embattled walls, so as to form a series of fortifications. When those courts were two in number, they were known as the outer and inner bailey. The bailey was often of great extent, containing the barracks of the soldiers-, lodgings for the workmen and artificers, magazines, wells and chapels, and sometimes even a monastery.

Philip James Bailey, author of the well-known poem, "Festus," and a native of Nottingham, England, says : "The name, is of Kelto-British origin, and signifies a keep or tower, or mural fortification as the names of S. Peter's le Bailey (or in the Bailey) of Oxford; the Old and New Bailey, London ; the Bailey Tower, Howth Hill, Dublin ; and other places sufficiently show."

The patronymic is evidently derived from bailiff, the keeper or superintendent of the bailey, a name which in time came to be applied to a place of confinement.

The Baillies of Georgia, however, who intermarried with the Bullochs, to which family President Roosevelt's mother belonged, give a different origin to the name. They claim that it is corrupted from Baliol, a powerful and eminent family in the early days of England and Scotland, closely related to the kings, John and Edward Baliol, but eventually siding with the Scottish king, David II. The name was changed from Baliol to Baillie to escape the wrath of Edward First of England, who was incensed against the family ; and also to distinguish them from the Scottish kings. Baliol is evidently of French origin, for among the companions of William the Conqueror we find Renaud de Bailleul.

In the reign of William Rufus Guy de Bailiol had a grant from the crown of the barony of Biweld in the county of Northumberland. From him is directly descended John de Baliol, founder of Baliol College, Oxford. Alexander de Baliol, brother of John, was grand chamberlain of Scotland in 1292, and from him the Baillies of Lamington, Dunain and all of the name in Scotland are descended.

In 1735 Kenneth Baillie of the Dunain family was an ensign in the Darien Company of Rangers in Georgia, and went on an expedition with General Oglethorpe against the Spaniards in Florida. He was captured and sent to Spain, but subsequently returned where he became a landed proprietor and colonel of the Second Southern Regiment. His sons did good service in the revolution.

In France the name is still spelled Baily ; in Scotland. Baillie ; while in England and America, Baily, Bailey and Bayley are most common.

There are two distinct coats-of-arms. That of the Bailey family consists of a bezant, or gold coin, on a fesse- between three martlets (flying swallows') gules. The crest is a demi-lady, holding in her dexter hand a tower, and in sinister, a branch of laurel. The Baillie escutcheon is as different as possible. The shield has nine mullets or five-pointed stars, supported by two boars rampant; and the crest is a boar's head. The motto is : "Quid clarius astris" — What is more glorious than the stars? (I)

---

Thomas Bayley, of Wessagussett, admitted freeman in Massachusetts Colony, May 13, 1640, was the first by the name of Bayley that we find settled in New England. When he came or how he came we have no record. He was very early in Wessagussett, and had probably pre-empted land some years prior to the incorporation of the land as Weymouth, in 1635. Whether he came in the Weston Colony in 1622, or in the Kjorges Company in 1623, .or whether he came from Weymouth, England, in '1624, or from Virginia, there is no way to determine.

His farm and home place of 25 acres was located on the southerly side of King Oak Hill; and in 1899 the cellar hole of his house was still visible. He was a man of integrity and influence, and was several times chosen to appraise estates. In March 1655, he and William Chard were elected constables to serve for the ensuing year. Thomas Bayley died in 1681, probably at an advanced age, and it is thought that he was buried in the Old North cemetery at North Weymouth.

The name of his wife is unknown, and she probably died before him. as no mention of her is made in the will probated May 10, 1681.

view all 13

Thomas Bayley, Sr.'s Timeline

1603
September 14, 1603
Bromham, Wiltshire, England
September 14, 1603
Bromham,Wiltshire,England
1624
1624
Age 20
Weymouth, Norfolk, Massachusetts, United States
1630
1630
Age 26
England
1637
1637
Age 33
Probably Weymouth, Suffolk County (Present Norfolk County), Massachusetts Bay Colony
1638
1638
Age 34
Weymouth, Norfolk, Mass.
1642
1642
Age 38
Weymouth, Norfolk, Mass.
1681
October 1681
Age 78
Weymouth, Suffolk County, Massachusetts Bay Colony
1945
August 31, 1945
Age 78
October 19, 1945
Age 78