About Thomas Buchanan, Of Gartincaber, Drummikill and Carbeth
Chiefs of Clan Buchanan
- 12th – Sir Walter Buchanan, (Guthrie Smith identifies him as 6th Chief and Buchanan of Auchmar identifies him as 13th Chief) first married an unidentified women and by her three sons (Patrick his successor, Walter and Thomas first ancestor of cadets of Gartincaber, Drumikill and Carbeth) and one daughter. He married secondly to Isobel Stewart.
- 'Thomas (Gartincaber Drummikill) Buchanan
- From: http://www.douglashistory.co.uk/famgen/getperson.php?personID=I93225&tree=tree1
- Stirnet - Buchanan01
- ((A)) Walter Buchanan, 11th Buchanan (a 1373)
- BLG1952 and 'Strathendrick' disagree on a number of items over the next few generations. for example: BLG reports that the John Buchanan who married Janet de Lany was the eldest son of Walter, 11th laird, and was himself 12th laird. We follow 'Strathendrick'.
- m. Margaret
- ((i)) Walter Buchanan, 12th of Buchanan
- m1. ??
- m2. Isobel Stewart (dau of Murdoch Stewart, 2nd Duke of Albany)
- BLG1952 reports that Isobel Stewart was mother of Walter's children. However, 'Strathendrick' (which does not identify any daughters) reports: "his children must have been by a former wife."
- ((a)) Patrick Buchanan, 13 of Buchanan (d before 07.1477)
- m. Jonet Conynghame
- ((b)) Walter Buchanan
- ' ((c)) Thomas Buchanan of Gartincaber, Drummikill and Carbeth (a 1495)
- ' We follow 'Strathendrick' in identifying this Thomas as ancestor not only of the Buchanans of Carbeth (as agreed by BLG1952) but also as ancester of the Buchanans of Drummikill. BLG1952 shows Thomas, son of Patrick of Buchanan, as the first of the Buchanans of Drummikill.
- ((d)) daughter
- m. ? Gray of Foulis
- Stirnet - Buchanan04
- 'Thomas Buchanan of Gartincaber, Drummikill and Carbeth (a 1495)
- 1. Robert Buchanan, 2nd of Drummikill and Moss (d c.1518)
- m. (c1472) Margaret Hay of Dillievardis
- A. Thomas Buchanan, younger of Drummikill and Moss (dvp)
- m. Agnes Heriot (dau. of Andrew Heriot of Trabroun)
- B. John Buchanan (a 1533)
- ii. Thomas Buchanan (a 1558)
- Either a brother of son of Robert was ..
- C. William Buchanan, 1st of Blairhennachra
- 2. Thomas Buchanan, 1st of Carbeth (d before 1493)
- 3. Walter Buchanan of Balwill
- Main sources: "Strathendrick and its Inhabitants from Early Times" by John Guthrie Smith, published in Glasgow in 1896.
Thomas Buchanan, Of Gartincaber, Drummikill and Carbeth's Timeline
Milngavie, Stirlingshire, Scotland
Carbeth, Isle Buchanan, Stirlingshire, Scotland