Thomas Chase, Sr., of Newbury
|Birthplace:||Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts, United States|
|Death:||Died in Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts, United States|
|Place of Burial:||Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts, United States|
Son of Aquila Chase, Jr., of Newbury and Anne Mussilloway
|Occupation:||Carpenter, Housewright & farmer|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Thomas Chase, Sr., of Newbury
About Thomas Chase, Sr., of Newbury
Among Aquila's sons was Thomas (1654-1733), a carpenter and farmer. He resided in Newbury all his life and served in the militia twice against Indians--once in King Philip's War in 1675, and once against the Narragansetts in Rhode Island. He married twice--not unusual, since many women died from complications following childbirth--and fathered eleven children, all of whom survived to adulthood.
30. Thomas CHASE, Sr. was born on 15 July 1654 in Newbury, Massachusetts. His first wife was the former Rebecca FOLLANSBEE, and they were married on 22 November 1677 in Newbury. Rebecca was born around 1660. Together they had ten children. His occupation was that of a carpenter. Rebecca passed away on 27 December 1711 in Newbury, Massachusetts. Thomas was remarried to the former Elizabeth WOODHEAD, who was previously married to Jonathan MOORES, was born on 28 December 1676 in Chelmsford. They were married on 2 August 1714 in Newbury. Together they had one child. Thomas died in Newbury, on 25 February 1733 at the age of 78. No death or burial information for Elizabeth is currenlty available.
Children of Thomas CHASE, Sr. and Rebecca FOLLANSBEE are:
36. i. Thomas CHASE, Jr. was born on 15 September 1680 and died on 10 February 1756.
37. ii. Jonathan CHASE was born on 13 January 1682 and died around 1749.
38. iii. James CHASE was born on 15 September 1685.
39. iv. Aquila CHASE was born on 15 July 1688 and died 17 March 1713.
40. v. Ruth CHASE was born on 28 February 1690.
41. vi. Mary CHASE was born on 15 January 1694.
42. vii. Josiah CHASE was born on 15 July 1697.
43. viii. Rebecca CHASE was born on 26 April 1700.
- 44. ix. Nathan CHASE, Sr. was born around 1702 and died around 1784.
45. x. Judith CHASE was born around 1703 and died on 14 March 1745
Children of Thomas CHASE, Sr. and Elizabeth WOODHEAD are:
46. i. Elizabeth CHASE was born on 9 July 1715.
Thomas made his home in Newbury, Mass., all his life. He subscribed to the oath of allegiance there in 1678. His will was made 3 Aug 1732 and proved on 25 Feb 1733, indicating death near the end of 1732.
Thomas was a carpenter. He resided near the road leading to Amesbury Ferry.
- The genealogical and encyclopedic history of the Wheeler family in America (1914)
- 5400. JOHN WHEELER. He is said to have been born at Salisbury, Wiltshire, England, and to have sailed for America on March 24, 1633-34 in the ship "Mary and John," bringing his wife Ann and six children and leaving four sons in England. He spent the first year of his residence at Aggawam (now Ipswich), Mass. The following year he removed to the settlement on the north bank of the Merrimac River that was called Salisbury after 1640, and as one of its original proprietors, in 1641 he received land there which he still held and paid tax on as late as 1653, notwithstanding he had removed to Newbury, Mass., before 1650. He died at Newbury, Aug. 29, 1670, aged 52, and his wife Ann died there Aug. 15, 1662.
- Will of John Wheeler. .... etc.
- 5407. ANN WHEELER, dau. of John (5400) and Ann (-- -- ) Wheeler.
- She married Aquila Chase, "a mariner," who came from Cornwall, England. In 1646 he removed to Newbury, Mass., that town having granted "to Aquila Chase, anno 1646, four acres of land at the new towne for a house lott where it is to be had, also on condition that he do go to sea, and do service in the towne with a boat for foure years." There is a tradition in the Chase family that he brought the first vessel over Newbury Bar.
- He died Dec. 27, 1670, aged 52. His will was dated Dec. 19, 1670. The inventory of his estate amounted to £336-14-3.
- They are said to be the original Chase ancestors of America.
- She married (2) June 14, 1672, Daniel Silloway. She died April 21, 1687.
- Children :
- SARAH CHASE, married May 15, 1666, Charles Annis.
- ANNE CHASE, born July 6, 1647; m. April 27, 1671, Thomas Barber.
- PRISCILLA CHASE, born March 14, 1648-9; m. Feb. 10, 1670-1, Abel Merrill.
- MARY CHASE, born Feb. 3, 1650-1; m. March 9, 1669-70, John Stevens.
- AQUILA CHASE, born Sept. 27, 1652; m. abt. 1673, Esther Bond.
- THOMAS CHASE, born July 25, 1654; m. (1) Nov. 22, 1677, Rebecca Follansbee; m. (2) Aug. 2, 1713, Elizabeth Mooers.
- JOHN CHASE, born Nov. 2, 1655; m. (1) May 23, 1677, Elizabeth Bingley; m. (2) Dec. 21, 1687, Lydia Challis.
- ELIZABETH CHASE, born Sept. 13, 1657; probably m. June 27, 1678, Zachariah Ayer.
- RUTH CHASE, born March 18, 1659-60; d. May 30, 1676.
- DANIEL CHASE, born Dec. 9, 1661; m. Aug. 25, 1683, Martha Kimball.
- MOSES CHASE, born Dec. 24, 1663; m. (1) Oct. 10, 1684, Anne Follansbee; m. (2) Dec. 13, 1713, Sarah Jacobs.
- Encyclopedia of Connecticut biography, genealogical-memorial; representative citizens; (1917-) Vol. 3
- (VI) Aquila Chase, fourth son of Richard and Joan (Bishop) Chase, was born at Hundrich, Parish Chesham, England, and baptized there, August 14, 1580. He was prominent in community affairs, and was highly regarded by all with whom he was brought in contact. He married and was the father of two children : Thomas ; Aquila, of further mention.
- (VII) Aquila (2) Chase, youngest son of Aquila (1 ) Chase, was a native of England, born in 1618, and died in Newbury, Massachusetts, December 27, 1670. He was the emigrant ancestor of the family, but the date of his coming to the New World is not here recorded ; he was a resident of Hampton, New Hampshire, in 1640, from whence he removed to Newbury, Massachusetts, in 1646, where he was granted four acres for a house lot, and six acres of marsh on condition that he go to sea and do service in the town with a boat for four years. He was a mariner, and shipmaster, and the supposition is that he was employed by his uncle or brother, Thomas Chase, who in 1626 was part owner of the ship, "John and Francis." He married Anne, daughter of John Wheeler, and she bore him nine children, as follows : Sarah, became the wife of Charles Annis; Anna, born July 6, 1647; Priscilla, March 14, 1649; Mary,
- February 3, 1651 ; Thomas, July 25, 1654; John, November 2, 1655 ; Elizabeth, September 13, 1657; Ruth, March 18, 1660; Daniel, December 9, 1661 ; Moses, of whom further. After the death of her husband, Mrs. Chase married (second) June 14, 1672, Daniel Mussiloway. Her death occurred in May, 1688.
- (VIII) Moses Chase, youngest son of Aquila (2) and Anne (Wheeler) Chase, was born in Newbury, Massachusetts, December 24, 1663. He was a man of thrift and enterprise, and provided well for the necessities of his family. He married (first) November 10, 1684, Ann Follansbee, and (second) December 13, 1713, Sarah Jacobs. Children, all of first marriage : Moses, born September 20, 1685, died young ; Daniel, twin of Moses, of whom further; Moses, January 20, 1688; Samuel, May 13, 1690; Elizabeth, September 25, 1693; Stephen, August 29, 1696; Hannah, September 13, 1699; Joseph, September 9, 1703 ; Nenoni.
-------------------- Thomas Chase Sr Born July 25, 1654 in Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts Son of Aquila Chase II and Anne (Wheeler) Chase Brother of Sarah (Chase) Annis, Anne (Chase) Barber, Priscilla Chase, Mary (Chase) Stevens, Aquila Chase III, James Chase, John Chase, Elizabeth Chase, Ruth Chase, Daniel Chase and Moses Chase Sr Husband of Rebecca (Follansbee) Chase — married November 22, 1677 in Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts, USA Husband of Elizabeth Morse — married August 2, 1713 in Newbury, Essex, Massachusettsmap Husband of Elizabeth Woodhead — married August 2, 1714 in Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts, USA Father of Thomas Chase Jr, Jonathan Chase, James Chase Sr, Aquila Chase, Ruth Chase, Mary Chase, Josiah Chase, Rebecca Chase, Nathan Chase, Judith Chase and Elizabeth (Chase) Rogers Died February 25, 1733 in Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts, USA
THOMAS2 CHASE (Aquila1) was born at Newbury, Massachusetts, July 25, 1654, and was sixteen years old when his father died. In 1675 he served in King Philip's War in Capt. Samuel Appleton's Company and took part in the Great Swamp Fight. He was a carpenter and lived near the road leading to the Amesbury ferry. Thomas Chase married first, November 22, 1677, Rebecca, daughter of Thomas and Mary Follansbee, born about 1660. She died December 27, 1711. He married, secondly, August 2, 1714, Elizabeth Moores, probably a widow, who surveved him. He died at Newbury, Febraury (sic) 25, 1733(f),
Children of Thomas2 and Rebecca (Follansbee) Chase: i. Thomas, b. Sept. 15, 1680; d. Feb. 10, 1756; m. Sara Stevens; eight children; lived at Newbury. ii. Jonathan, b. Jan. 13, 1682/3; d. Stratham, N. H., May 3, 1749; m. Joanna Palmer of Bradford, Mass.
3. iii. James, b. Sept. 15, 1685.
iv. Aquila, b. July 15, 1688; d. Ipswich, Mass., Mar. 17, 1713/4; m. 1712, Mary Smith; only child died in infancy. v. Ruth, b. Feb. 28, 1690/1; m. Nathaniel Miller of Rehoboth, Mass., May 29, 1716. vi. Mary, b. Jan. 15, 1694/5; m. ----------------- Horton, perhaps of Rehoboth. vii. Josiah, b. July 15, 1697; d. before July 30, 1723; m. May 15, 1718, Boston, Sarah Porter; only child, Edward, living in 1732.
Thomas Chase, Sr., of Newbury's Timeline
July 15, 1654
Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts, United States
November 22, 1677
Portsmouth, Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States
November 22, 1677
September 15, 1680
Newbury, Essex County, MA, USA
September 15, 1680
Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts
January 13, 1682
January 13, 1683
Newbury, Essex, MA, USA
September 15, 1685
Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts
September 15, 1685
July 15, 1688