About Thomas Cornwallis, Esq.
- Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Coloncial And Medieval Families
- 11. PHILIPPE TYRRELL, She was a legatee in the 1442 will of her father. She was co-heiress after 1442 to her brother, Edward Tyrrell. She married before 1446-7 (date of fine) THOMAS CORNWALLIS, Esq., of Brome, Suffolk, Basildon, Essex, and London, Knight of the Shire for Suffolk, son and heir of John Cornwallis, of Brome and Oakley, Suffolk, by Philippe, daughter and co-heiress of Robert Bucton, Esq. He was born about 1421 (did homage for lands in 1441/2). They had four sons, John, Esq., Edward, Esq., Robert, and William Esq., and one daughter, Katherine (wife of Francis or Thomas Froxmere) In 1479 he was suing a bargeman of London for the "Crane Warf Dock" in the Vintry. THOMAS CORNWALLIS, Esq., died 26 May 1484. .... etc.
- 12. WILLIAM CORNWALLIS, Esq., of Brome and Oakley, Suffolk, London, Bedfordshire, and Norfolk, Justice of the Peace for Suffolk, 4th son, born about 1470 (aged 40 in 1510). He married ELIZABETH STANFORD (or STAMFORD) daughter and co-heiress of John Stanford, Esq., of Stagsden, Bedfordshire and Banks (in Wimpole), Cambridgeshire, by Joan, daughter ad heiress of John Butler (or Boteler), of Meppershall, Bedfordshire. They had five sons, John, Knt., Thomas (clerk), Edward, William, and Francis, and six daughters, Elizabeth (wife of William Singleton), Affra (wife of Anthony Aucher, Knt.), Dorothy (wife of John Head), Katherine (nun at Elstow Abbey), Prudence (wife of __ Roydon), and Edith (wife of William Barwike). He was heir in 1510 to his older brother, Edward Cornwallys, Esq. WILLIAM CORNWALLIS, Esq., died 20 Nov. 1519, and was buried in the chancel in St. Nicholas's, Oakley Suffolk. He left a will proved 29 Nov. 1519 (P.C.C. 24 Ayloffe). His widow, Elizabeth, died testate 1 April 1537, and was buried in the chacel at Thrandeston, Suffolk. .... etc.
- Children of William Cornwallis, Esq., by Elizabeth Stanford:
- i. JOHN CORNWALLIS, Knt. [see next].
- ii. AFFRA CORNWALLIS, married ANTHONY AUCHER, Knt., of Bishopsbourne, Kent [see LOVELACE 13].
- 13. JOHN CORNWALLIS, Knt., of Brome, Suffolk, son and heir, Steward of the Household to Edward Tudor, Prince of Wales (later King Edward VI). He married MARY SULLIARD, daughter of Edward Sulliard (or Sulyard), Esq., of London and Otes (in High Laver), Essex, by his 2nd wife, Anne, daughter of John Norris of Bray, Lancashire. They had four sons, Thomas Ktn., Henry, Esq., Richard, Esq., and William, and three daughters, Elizabeth, Anne (wife of Thomas Kent), and Mary (wife of Wiliam Halse and Roger Warren). SIR JOHN CORNWALLIS died at
- Ashridge, Buckinghamshire 23 April 1544, and was buried at Berkhamstead, Hertfordshire, with a monument in the chancel at Brome, Suffolk. He left a will proved 9 July 1544 (P.C.C. 11 Pynnyng). .... etc.
- Children of John Cornwallis, Knt., by Mary Sulliard:
- RICHARD CORNWALLIS, Esq. [see next].
- ELIZABETH CORNWALLIS, married JOHN BLENNNERHASSET, Esq., of Barsham by Beccles, Suffolk [see THROCKMORTON 14].
- 14. RICHARD CORNWALLIS, Esq., of Shotley and Okenhill Hall (in Badingham) Suffolk, 3rd son. He married MARGARET LOUTHE, daughter and heiress of Lionel Louthe, of Sawtrey Beaumes, Huntingdonshire, and Cretingham, Suffolk, by Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Blennerhasset, Knt., of Frenze, Suffolk. She was born about 1529 (aged 4 in 1533). They had two sons, Thomas and John, and five daughters, including Anne. RICHARD CORNWALLIS, Esq., is said to have died before 1581. His widow Margaret, then of Tannington, Suffolk, left a will proved in 1603, and was buried at Cretingham, Suffolk.
- 15. ANNE CORNWALLIS, married about 1575 (as his 1st wife THOMAS DADE, Gent., of Tannington, Suffolk, son and heir of William Dade, Gent., of Witton, Norfolk, by Margery, daughter and heiress of Nicholas Godbold, Gent., of Badingham, Suffolk. He was born about 1556. They had four sons, William, Esq., Thomas, Henry, Esq., and John, and six daughters, Audrey (wife of Nicholas Garneys, Gent.), Anne, Frances, Margaret (wife of John Fox), Elizabeth (wife of Thomas Fletcher, Gent.), and Ellen. His wife, Anne, died 2 May 1612, and was buried at Tannington, Suffolk. He married (2nd) ANNE HASELOP, daughter of Thomas Haselop, of Trumpington, Cambridgeshire. They had one son, Thomas, and three daughters, Anne, Frances, and Margery (wife of George Harrison, Gent.). THOMAS DADE, Gent., died at Tannington, Suffolk 13 April 1619, and was buried there in the chancel. He left a will proved in 1619 (P.C.C. 80 Parker). .... etc.
- 16. WILLIAM DADE, ESq., of Tannington and Ipswich, Suffolk, son and heir, born about 1580. He married (1st) in 1612 MARY WINGFIELD, daughter of Henry Wingfield of Crowfield, Suffolk, by Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Risby [see HANKFORD 14 for her ancestry]. They had seven sons, Thomas, Esq., William, Henry, Robert, Gent., Anthony, [Maj.] Francis, and Charles, and six daughters, Elizabeth, Mary (wife of John Soanes), Anne (wife of John Vere, Gent., and George Gosnell), Frances (wife of Samuel Aldus), Martha (wife of John Glanville, Gent.), and Audrey (wfie of Robert Neale). His wife, Mary died at Tannington, Suffolk 3 Feb. 1624/5. He married (2nd) ELIZABETH REVETT, widow of Robert Armiger, of Freston, and daughter of John Revett, Esq., of Brandeston, Suffolk, They had one daughter, Joan. His wife, Elizabeth, died at Tannington, Suffolk 24 Feb. 1656/7. WILLIAM DADE, Esq., died 22 Feb. 1659/60, and was buried at Tannington, Suffolk with both of his wives. He left a will proved 26 April 1660 (P.C.C. 25 Nabbs). ....etc.
- 17. [MAJOR] FRANCIS DADE, born about 1622. He immigrated to Virginia, where he settled at Patomak in Westmoreland County. He married in 1652 BEHEATHLAND BERNARD, daughter of [Capt.] Thomas Bernard, by Mary, daughter of Robert Beheathland. They had one son, Francis, and one daughter, Mary (wife of [Capt.] Robert Massey and [Col.] Rice Hooe). He served as a member of House of Burgesses from Warwick County and as Speaker of the Houes of Burgesses, 1658 (under alias as John Smith). [MAJOR] FRANCIS DADE died on a return voyage from England in 1662/3. He left a nuncupative will proved 1 May 1663. His widow, Beheathland, married (2nd) [MAJOR] ANDREW GILSON, of Lancaster, Rappahannock, and Stafford Counties, Virginia. They had issue. She left a will dated 20 Aug. 1716, proved 3 March 1720/1. .... etc.
- Thomas Cornwallis1
- M, #252843, d. 1447
- Last Edited=20 Nov 2007
- Thomas Cornwallis was the son of John Cornwallis and Philippa Bucton.2 He married Philippa Tyrrel, daughter of Edward Tyrrel.1 He died in 1447.1
- Child of Thomas Cornwallis and Philippa Tyrrel
- 1.Thomas Cornwallis+2
- 1.[S37] Volume 1, page 903. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S37]
- 2.[S37] See. [S37]
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p25285.htm#i252843
- Thomas Cornwallis, Esq.1,2,3
- M, #37378, b. circa 1421, d. 26 May 1484
- Father John Cornwallis2,3 b. c 1380, d. Aug 1446
- Mother Phillipa Buckton2,3 b. c 1382
- Thomas Cornwallis, Esq. was born circa 1421 at of Brome & Oakley, Suffolk, England; Adult in 1442.1,2,3 He married Philippe Tyrrell, daughter of Edward Tyrrell, Esq., Sheriff & Escheator of Essex & Hertfordshire and Anne Pashley, before 1447; They had 4 sons (John, Esq; Edward, Esq; Robert; & William, Esq.) and 1 daughter (Katherine, wife of Thomas Foxmere).1,2,3 Thomas Cornwallis, Esq. died on 26 May 1484.2,3
- Family Philippe Tyrrell b. c 1424
- Edward Cornwallis, Esq.1
- William Cornwallis, Esq.+1,2,3 b. c 1470, d. 20 Nov 1519
- 1.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 252.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 20.
- 3.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 376.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p1245.htm#i37378
view all 11
Thomas Cornwallis, Esq.'s Timeline
Broome, Suffolk, England
Of Broome, Suffs, Eng.
May 26, 1484
Oakley, Hartismere, Suffolk, England
Oakley, Suffolk, England