|Death:||Died in Guilford, New Haven, Connecticut, United States of America|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Thomas French
About Thomas French
Thomas had thirteen children with two sisters: (1) Mary Button and (2) Deborah Button Joy. Thomas French was born in 1615 in England, and died in 1679 in Guilford (New Haven) Connecticut. He married first about 1639, Mary Button, daughter of John Button and Grace ___. Thomas and Mary had eleven children (Mary 1640-1677, m John Everts; Hannah 1642; Mercy 1644; Elizabeth 1646; Deliverance 1648; Sarah; John; Martha; Thomas 1656-1659; Ebenezer; and Rebecca 1660-1660)
Thomas married second, about 1666, Mary’s sister Deborah Button, daughter of John Button and Grace ___, and widow of Walter Joy. Thomas and Deborah had two children (Samuel; and Abigail 1669)
- D: I304
- Name: Thomas FRENCH 1 2
- Sex: M
- Birth: 1615 in England 3 2 1
- Residence: ABT 1638 Charlestown, Middlesex Co, Massachusetts 2
- Residence: ABT 1643 Guilford, New Haven Co, Connecticut 2
- Immigration: BEF 1650 to New Haven Co, Connecticut 1
- Death: ABT 1665 in Guilford, New Haven Co, Connecticut 2 1
- Note: 4Thomas FRENCH came to Guilford in either 1643 or 1648 (depending on the source), having first gone to Charlestown, Massachusetts in about 1638. He is named on the 1650 list as a planter, but not a freeman. His home lot of three and one-halfacres was next north of Henry GOLDHAM's on Whitfield Street. In addition, he leased some lands and houase from John CAFFNICH for a period of time. Thomas FRENCH had two wives. The first was Mary BUTTON, the second Deborah, maiden name unknown.It is thought that he was one of the poorer planters. His name appears in the records of Guilford court in two lawsuits again John EVARTS for damage to FRENCH's crops from EVART's hogs. (from Guilford Founders Family Tree 1639-1989)
- Change Date: 3 MAR 2001
Father: John FRENCH b: ABT 1585 in England
Mother: Rebecca b: ABT 1593
Marriage 1 Mary BUTTON b: 1619 in England
* Married: ABT 1639 in Charlestown, Middlesex, Massachusetts 3 2 1
1. Has No Children Deliverence FRENCH b: 1639-49 in Charleston, Middlesex Co, Massachusetts
2. Has No Children Hannah FRENCH b: 1639-49 in Charleston, Middlesex Co, Massachusetts
3. Has No Children Mary FRENCH b: 1639-49 in Charleston, Middlesex Co, Massachusetts
4. Has Children Sarah FRENCH b: 15 AUG 1650 in Guilford, New Haven Co, Connecticut
5. Has Children Elizabeth FRENCH b: 25 AUG 1650 in Guilford, New Haven Co, Connecticut
6. Has No Children John FRENCH b: 21 JUL 1652 in Guilford, New Haven Co, Connecticut
7. Has No Children Martha FRENCH b: 6 AUG 1654 in Guilford, New Haven Co, Connecticut
8. Has No Children Thomas FRENCH Jr b: 12 JUN 1656 in Guilford, New Haven Co, Connecticut
9. Has No Children Ebenezer FRENCH b: 3 APR 1658 in Guilford, New Haven Co, Connecticut
10. Has No Children Rebecca FRENCH b: 10 Jan 1659/60 in Guilford, New Haven Co, Connecticut
11. Has No Children Mercy FRENCH b: in Charlestown, Middlesex Co, Massachusetts
Marriage 2 Deborah BUTTON b: ABT 1625 in England
* Married: BEF 1667 in Guilford, New Haven Co, Connecticut 2
1. Has No Children Samuel FRENCH b: 21 AUG 1667 in Guilford, New Haven Co, Connecticut
2. Has No Children Abigail FRENCH b: 2 Mar 1668/69 in Guilford, New Haven Co, Connecticut
1. Author: James Hemenway GIBBS
Title: Ancestors of Lois PARMELEE
Date: 31 Dec 1999
Location: C:/Eigene Dateien/Genealogy/Isbell-Parmelee
2. Author: Harold M Walden
Title: Ancestors of Lois PARMELEE
Date: 6 Dec 1999
Location: c:/eigene dateien/genealogy/isbell-parmelee
3. Text: Homepage: The Descendants of John FRENCH
4. Type: E-Mail Message
Author: Marcia Snodgrass HILL
Title: re: SHEATER, GRAVES, FRENCH, KELSEY
Date: 13 Sept 2000 01:44
Married first to Mary Button
Married second Deborah (__)
Unknown which was mother of children
"Lived in Charlestown, Mass. 1638 and Guilford, Conn. 1648."
Families of Early Guilford, I:498
- Genealogies of Connecticut Families: From the New England ..., Volume 1 By Judith McGhan
- In a Town meeting February 11th 1673. Thomas French desiring that his son in law John Dudley might be accepted as a planter upon Thomas French engaging to give him 20 acres of land. The Town accepted John Dudley to be a planter.
- (DEATH DATE OF about 1665 FOR THOMAS1FRENCH DOES NOT MAKE SENSE SINCE HE WAS IN A TOWN MEETING IN 1673)
- 1 Thomas1 French, } d. about 1665.
- Mary Button, }
- Deborah Button, }
- 2 Mary2 French, }
- John Everts, Jr., } m. Sept. 14, 1665 ; d. Sept. 2, 1677.
- 3 Hannah2 French.
- 4 Mercy2 French.
- 5 Elizabeth2 French, }
- Eleazer Isbel, } m. Nov. 11, 1668.
- 6 Deliverance2 French, }
- Edward Parks } m. Dec. 21, 1669.
- 7 Sarah2 French, } b. Aug. 25, 1650 ; m. Oct. 24, 1668.
- Nathaniel Parmelee, } d. in Indian War, 1676
- (15) 8 John2 French, b. July 25, 1652.
- 9 Martha2 French, } b. Aug. 6, 1654.
- John Deadley, } m. 1673.
- 10 Thomas2 French, b. June 12, 1656 ; d. Feb. 28, 1659.
- (17) 11 Ebenezer2 French. b. April 3, 1658.
- 12 Rebecca2 French, b. Jan. 10, 1660 ; d. Oct. 10, 1660.
- 13 Samuel2 French, b. Aug. 21, 1667 ; d. young.
- 14 Abigail2 French, b. March 2, 1669.
- 8 John2 French, } son of Thos. ; d. Dec. 28, 1727 ; m. July 31,
- Mary Sheather, } 1678 ; dau. of John Sheather, d. Jan. 22, 1707.
- Abigail Stevens, } wid. of John.
- John French lived in East Guildord.
- 15 John3 French, b. May 18, 1679 ; d. Aug. 9, 1679.
- (23) 16 John3 French, b. Aug. 26, 1680.
- John French's list, 1716, £43-4-9.
- 11 Ebenezer2 French, } d. May 3, 1736 ; m. Oct. 8, 1684.
- Susannah Blachley, } d. Jan. 19, 1728.
- 17 Deborah3 French, } b. May 15, 1687 ; d. March 13, 1761.
- John Munger, } m. 1710 ; d. Oct. 5, 1752.
- 18 Jemima3 French, b. Feb. 26, 1693 ; d. young.
- 19 Jemima3 French, } b. Sept. 28, 1696 ; d. Aug. 6, 1755.
- Nathaniel Hand, } m. April 19, 1722 ; d. April 29, 1752.
- (25) 20 Thomas3 French, b. Oct. 30 1698.
- 21 Mercy3 French, } b. May 13, 1701.
- John Bradley, } m. Aug. 15, 1726.
- 22 Susannah3 French, } b. Aug. 28, 1703 ; d. Feb. 17, 1743.
- Ebenezer Hand, } m. May 31, 1725.
- Ebenezer French's list, 1716, £100 - 2 - 6.
- 16 Dea. John3 French, Jr., .... etc.
- Sept. 16th, 1668.--Thomas French was granted three or four acres of land on this side of Clapboard hill swamp, with part of the swamp, according as the Townsmen viewing it shall judge meete that no highway be prejudiced thereby.
- Feb. 11th, 1673-- The town granted Thomas French liberty to exchange his land at Clapboard hill swamp, containing five acres and a half, allowing for it fourteen acres beyong East River.
- A history of the plantation of Menunkatuck and of the original town of Guilford, Connecticut : comprising the present towns of Guilford and Madison by Steiner, Bernard Christian
- THOMAS FRENCH was at Charlestown, Mass., about 1638. and removed to Guilford about 1643. He died about 1665. He was one of the poorer planters.
- EDWARD PARKS, from Killingworth, was admitted a planter May 28, 1671. He was a tailor by trade and became one of the first settlers of Cohabit (North Guilford). He probably first settled at Norwich. He married Deliverance, daughter of Thomas French, in 1669 and died in 1691.
- JOHN DEADLY, DOUDLY, or DUDLEY, came to Guilford in 1673 and was
- admitted planter February 11, 1673-4. He married Martha, daughter of Thomas French, in 1673 and died May 30, 1690. The tradition is that, while quite a boy, he was going over London bridge, when he was met by a pressgang who asked him where he was going. He responded that he was going to see his godfather and godmother. They said they would go with him, but conducted him on board of a British man-of-war, where he was kept until he made his escape, while cruising at Boston some years after. Then he fled, came to Guilford and entered Thomas French's employ.
- History of the Colony of New Haven to Its Absorption Into Connecticut By Edward Elias Atwater, Lucy M. Hewitt, Bessie E. Beach
- THOMAS FRENCH was in Charlestown in 1638. He removed to Guilford in 1650 or before. Of several children only Ebenezer and John lived to middle age. A daughter Mary married September 14, 1665. John Evarts, and died in a few years. (See the N. Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg. of 1893.)
- BUTTON, Mary
- Spouse: FRENCH, Thomas
- b. ABT 1613 England
- d. Guilford, New Haven, CT.
- FRENCH, Mary
- FRENCH, Hannah b. 1642 Guilford, New Haven, CT.
- FRENCH, Mercy b. 1644 Guilford, New Haven, CT.
- FRENCH, Deliverance
- FRENCH, Elizabeth
- FRENCH, Sarah
- FRENCH, John
- FRENCH, Martha
- FRENCH, Thomas b. 12 JUN 1656 Guilford, New Haven, CT. d. 28 FEB 1658/9 Guilford, New Haven, CT.
- FRENCH, Ebenezer
- FRENCH, Rebecca b. 10 JAN 1659/60 Guilford, New Haven, CT. d. 10 OCT 1660 Guilford, New Haven, CT.
- FRENCH, Samuel
- FRENCH, Abigail b. 2 MAR 1668/9 Guilford, New Haven, CT.
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_4fe.htm#84
Thomas French's Timeline
Guilford, New Haven County, Connecticut
August 25, 1650
Guilford, New Haven, Connecticut, United States
August 25, 1650
New Haven, Guilford, Connecticut, United States
Guilford, New Haven County, CT, USA
August 6, 1654
Guilford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
April 3, 1658
Guilford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States