Thomas Kilbourne, Sr.
|Also Known As:||"Thomas Kilbourne"|
|Birthplace:||Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut, USA|
|Death:||Died in East Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut, USA|
Son of Sgt. John Kilbourne, Sr. and Naomi Kilbourn
|Managed by:||Kimberly Clare Ronson|
Matching family tree profiles for Thomas Kilbourne, Sr.
About Thomas Kilbourne, Sr.
- 'Full text of "The Hills family in America; the ancestry and descendants of William Hills, the English emigrant to New England in 1632; of Joseph Hills, the English emigrant to New England in 1638, and of the great-grandsons of Robert Hills, of the parish of Wye, county of Kent, England, emigrants to New England 1794-1806"
- It has been generally accepted as a fact that Mary, the widow of the emigrant of 1632, was his second wife, but it appears by probate records that she had two predecessors. The distribution of the estate of Thomas Bunce shows that one parcel of real estate, about four acres on the east side of the great river, had been bought by the decedent of William Hills, and that the lot was " formerly Richard Risley's, and came to said Hills by right of his wife relict of said Risley, as appears by a writing under said Hills hand, dated Feb. 26, 1680," witnessed by James Steele and Thomas Watts. The inventory of the Risley estate was filed October 17, 1648. The court records show there were three children, the eldest less than eight years old, "William Hill bringing them up and giving security to the court " for their several portions of their father's estate.
- The wife who probably survived William Hills was, before her last marriage, Mary, the widow of John Steele, Junior, who died about 1653 leaving two sons, John and Samuel. The inventory of his estate was taken March 11, 1654. The Warner genealogy states that Mary, daughter of Andrew Warner, of Hadley, Mass., married John Steele, January 22, 1646, and that her second husband was William Hill, of Hartford. When the widow Steele again became a wife is unknown. It was before the 25th of January, 1669, for at that date the Steele estate was settled, and in the instrument of distribution she is referred to as Mary Hill, and William Hill, her husband, " having taken upon himself to administer the estate, is to make good to the children as they come of age." That her second husband was William Hills, of Hartford, and that she was living some twelve years later, appear from the will of the emigrant of 1632, which is dated February 21, 1681, in which he refers to the revenues of the lands in Farmington as those he has " right unto by and in right of my wife," and provides that they be " demanded and received " for her. She probably was the mother of Jonathan ( born about 1664 ), youngest son of the emigrant. ...........................
- 1. William1, born in England came in ship " Lyon," arrived in Boston, September, 1632; probably died at Hartford, 1683, where his will was probated, December 6 of that year. Married 1st, Phillis Lyman, daughter of Richard and Sarah (Osborne) Lyman who emigrated from High Onger, Essex County, England, in 1631. He married, 2d, the widow of Richard Risley, who died prior to October 17, 1648, the date of the inventory of his estate. The date of her death is unknown. He married, 3d, Mary, widow of John Steele, Jr., of Farmington, who died there, 1653-4, daughter of Andrew Warner of Hadley, Hampshire Co., Mass., who was living in 1681.
- Children of William Hills, the emigrant of whom record has been found :
- 9. 'Hannah, b. Hartford, — ; d. before Oct., 1712.
- 9. 'Hannah2 (William1), b. Hartford, Conn., d. before October, 1712. Married, February 1, 1700, Serg. Thomas Kilbourn (John2, Thomas1) of Glastonbury, Hartford Co., Conn., 1653, d. October 3, 1712. (See Kilbourn Gen., p. 69.) Thomas Kilbourn was born 1578, in Wood Ditton, County of Cambridge, England, and was baptized there May 8 of that year.
- Child of Hannah (Hills) and Thomas Kilbourn :
- i. Thomas Kilbourn, b. — 1705; d. — 1748.
- 'Families of Early Hartford, Connecticut By Lucius Barnes Barbour
- Pg. 355
- THOMAS KILBOURN
- Thomas Kilbourn died 1712 mar poss Hannah Hills dau of William Hills. Wife of Thomas Kilbourn ad full com 1 Ch May 2, 1686.
- Hannah b. Feb. 14 (HTR) m Solomon Gilman
- Thomas b. (HTR) m
- Susannah b. Apl 20, 1677 (HTR)
- Child b. Jan 20, 1679 (HTR)
- Child b. Sept 14, 1682 (HTR)
- Child b. Feb 19, 1684 (HTR)
- Child b. Aug 21, 1687 (HTR)
- Hfd Records illegible.
- Mary bp Aug 1, 1686 (1 Ch Rec) m a Bidwell
- Naomi bp June 4, 1693 (1Ch Rec) m a Abbe
- Sarah bp Mch 29, 1696 (1Ch Rec)
- John Executor
- 'Savage says Thoms s of John m Hannah dau of William Hills.
- Thomas b ca 1677
- Mary b 1686
- Naomi b 1693
- Samuel b 1696
- 'The Risley family history: including records of some of the early English ... By Edwin Hills Risley
- Pg. 215
- If the record stopped here, it would indicate that Richard's wife died prior to his decease, but there is a record of a conveyance of lands made in Farmington by William Hill (Hills) by virtue of his marital relation with the "relict" of "Richard Risley."
- The fact stated in the decree of distribution that Will. Hill gave bonds to bring up the children to "write and read" and gave security for the performance of these conditions would indicate that he married or expected to marry the widow very near the time this decree was entered. It is fair to assume that the three children were brought up in the family of Will. Hill and that the "relict" of Richard Risley became Hill's second wife.
- William Hill, sr. (second husband of Mrs. Risley), died July 1683, leaving an estate L274 60s. 2d. At the time of his death or at least at the time of the execution of the will, Feb. 22, 1680-1, he describes himself as William Hills of Hockanum within the township of Hartford. By his will he makes Jonathan, his eldest son, his executor and imposed obligations upon his wife "Mary Hills" which indicates that Mary (Risley) Hills was living at the date of his death. The children mentioned in his will are Jonathan, Mary, 'Hannah Hills Kilbourn', Benjamin, Joseph, William, jr., John, Sarah Hills Ward.
Thomas Kilbourne, Sr.'s Timeline
Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut, USA
Wethersfield, Hartford County, Connecticut
Hockanum, Hartford County, Connecticut Colony
East Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut, USA