|Also Known As:||"Sir Thomas Moore IV"|
|Birthplace:||Southwell, Nottinghamshire, England, United Kingdom|
|Death:||Died in Town of Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts Bay Colony, (Present USA)|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Thomas Moore, of Southwell & Salem
About Thomas Moore, of Southwell & Salem
Michael Cooley's Genealogy Pages, http://ancestraldata.com
Thomas MOORE, born 1574 in Southwell Nottinghamshire, England; died 1636 in Salem Sussex, MA. He was the son of. John MOORE and Ann. He married Ann Carte Abt. 1590 in Southwold, Suffolk, England.
Ann Carte, born 1578 in Of, Southwold, Suffolk, England; died 28 Feb 1638/39 in Salem, Essex, Massachusetts.
More About Thomas MOORE:
Emigration: English Colonial Immigrant
Immigration: Abt. 1630, From England to Salem, MA'
Children of Thomas MOORE and Ann Carte are:
- i. Mary Moore, born 1600 in Of Southwold, Suffolk, England; died Nov 1674 in Salem, Essex, Massachusetts; married Joseph Grafton; born 1596 in Of Southwold, Suffolk, England; died 24 Jun 1682 in Salem, Essex, Massachusetts.
- ii. Margaret Moore, born 1602 in Southwell, Nottingham, England.
- iii. Joseph Moore, born 1604 in Southwell, Nottingham, England.
- iv. Thomas(1) Moore, born 1605; died 1615.
- v. Thomas(2) MOORE1, born 20 May 1616 in Oultown, Suffolk, England; died 27 Jun 1691 in Southold, Long Island, NY; married Martha Sarah Yonges 11 Jul 1636 in Salem, Essex, MA; born 01 Jul 1613 in Reyden, Southwold, Suffolk, England; died 27 Jun 1671 in Southold, Suffolk, Long Island, NY.
- vi. Richard Elvin Moore, born 1617 in Southwold, Suffolk, England; died 1647.
- vii. John Moore, born 1619 in Of Southwell, Nottingham, England; died 17 Sep 1657 in Long Island, New York; married Margaret Howell.
- viii. Ann Moore, born 1621 in Of Southwell, Nottingham, England.
- Name: Thomas Moore 
- Born: 1574 at , Southwell, Nottinghamshire, England
- Married: Abt 1590 at Of Southwold, Suffolk, England
- Died: Bef 1636 at , Salem, Essex, MA
- Name: Ann 
- Born: 1578 at Of, Southwold, Suffolk, England
- Died: 28 Feb 1639 at , Salem, Essex, MA
1. Name: Mary Moore
- Born: 1600 at , Southwold, Suffolk, England
- Died: Nov 1674 at , Salem, Essex, MA
2. Name: Margaret Moore
- Born: Abt 1602 at , Southwell, Nottinghamshire, England
3. Name: Joseph Moore
- Born: Abt 1604 at , Southwell, Nottinghamshire, England
4. Name: Mary Moore
- Born: Abt 1613 at Southwold, Norfolk, England
5. Name: Thomas Moore
- Born: Bet 1615 and 1616 at Of Southwold, Suffolk, England
- Died: 27 Jun 1691 at Southold, Suffolk, NY
- Wife: Martha Sarah Yonges
6. Name: Richard Elvin Moore
- Born: Abt 1617 at Southwold, Norfolk, England
- Died: 1647
7. Name: Mary (moor) Moore
- Born: Abt 1617 at , , , England
8. Name: John Moore Rev.
- Born: 1620 at England
- Died: 17 Sep 1657 at Newtown, Long Island, New York
- Wife: Margaret Howell
9. Name: Ann (moor) Moore
- Born: Abt 1621 at Possibly Born In England
10. Thomas Moore
- b.1574 Southwell, Nottinhamshire, England, parents ukn
- d.bef.1636 Salem, MA
- m.abt.1590 Southwold, Suffolk, England Ann ______
- b.1578 of Southwold, Suffolk, England
- d.Feb. 28, 1639 Salem, MA
- 1. Mary Moore b.1600 of Southwold, Suffolk, England d.Nov. 1674 Salem, MA m.1622 Joseph Grafton
- 2. Margaret Moore b.abt.1602
- 3. Joseph Moore b.abt.1604
- 4. Thomas Moore b.1615/16 d.June 27, 1691 Southold, NY
- 5. Richard Elvin Moore b.bef.1617 d.1647
- 6. John Moore b.bef.1619
- 7. Ann Moore b.bef.1621
Thomas Moore and his family were in Salem, Mass in the 1630's. Thomas Moore, Sr. died there in 1636. Thomas Moore, Jr. married, Martha, the sister of Reverend John Youngs of Southold, Long Island. He was in Southold, Long Island, New York by 1650 and died there in 1691.
Born: Possibly abt 1580, in, or near, possibly Southwold, England
Spouse of Thomas, Sr.: Ann (____). She survived him.
Spouses of Thomas, Jr.:
1) 1635-1638 Margaret Youngs, sister of Rev John Youngs of Southold, Long Island; as well as Joseph and Christopher Youngs, also immigrants. Probably mother to all of his children and probably married in England. She died June 27, 1671, in Southold, Long Island, New York
2) Aft 1671. (Death of first wife) Catherine Westcott, Per Suffolk Co Register, Vol 1, No. 1, Jun 1975, fr Ned E-mail: Possibly married 1st Thomas Doxy, 2nd Daniel Lane. She survived him.
Migration: At least by 1636. It is likely that most of the children of Thomas Moore, Sr were adults or close to it. If he was born in 1580, he would have been 56. His kids would have been from teenagers up to 40 years in age. I don't know if all of the family came at once, or if all of the children came to America. It is most likely that Thomas, Jr. and Margaret Youngs were married in England and came together.
Residences: It appears that Thomas, Sr. lived and died in Salem, Mass. It appears that Thomas, Jr. was in Salem until at least 1650, then to Southold, Long Island, where Rev John Youngs was located. It appears that most of his children married Southold sons and daughters.
Died: Thomas, Sr. Before 1636 in prob Salem. Suffolk County Historical Society Register, Vol 1, No. 1, Jun 1975, reports that wife Ann joined the church as a widow in 1636. Thomas Moore, Jr. died June 27, 1691, in Southold, Long Island, New York
Savage on Thomas Moore:
"THOMAS, Salem 1636, prob. s. of Thomas, to whose wid. Ann, a midwife, was next yr. gr. of ld. made, by w. Martha had Thomas, and Martha, both apt. 21 Oct. 1639, soon aft. the parents were rec. of the ch.; Benjamin, 2 Aug. 1640; Nathaniel, 3 July 1642; Hannah, 9 Dec. 1644; Eliz. 31. Jan. 1647; Jonathan, 3 June 1649; and Mary, 15 Dec. 1650; was freem. 27 Dec. 1642, and in few yrs. rem."
Long Island Genealogies, Pg 250
"Thomas1 Moore b. in England before 1600, d. at Salem, Mass., 1636, wife Ann, dau Mary2 m. Joseph Grafton of Salem.
"Thomas2 Moore, shipbuilder, at Salem in 1676, m. Martha Youngs b. 1613, dau. of Rev. Christopher Youngs (Vicar of Reyden, Suffolk Co. Eng. he d. 1640) and Margaret Elvin, dau. of Richard who d. in Boston 1647," 17 Feb. 1636-7, XX for Yong was received for inhabitant of Salem."
"THOMAS2 MOORE came to Southold, L. I. in 1650, wife Martha and 8 children followed in 1651, he d. June 27, 1691, 2d wife Catharine survived him, no children by her.
"Baptized in Salem 1739, Martha3 m. Capt. John Seaman, her father's Will says Symonds. Hannah3 m. a Symon, Elisabeth3 m. a Grover. Sarah3 m. Samuel Glover, son of Charles. Thomas3 b. 1649, m. 1662 a Mott, of Mamaroneck. Nathaniel3 m. Sarah Vail, dau. of Jeremiah. Benjamin3 m., Jonathan.3
"THOMAS3 MOORE and wife had Thomas4 b. 1663, Nathaniel,4 Elisa4 and Martha4 m. John Peck."
- This is the text version of the PDF file http://www.billputman.com/Moore.pdf. THE MOORE FAMILY Thomas Moore and his parents came from Southwold, Suffolk County in England to the Puritan Colony at Salem, Massachusetts about 1630. Young Thomas married Martha Youngs in Salem and they moved to Southhold on Long Island, New York in about 1651 and it was here their daughter, Elizabeth married Richard Clark. The Clark's daughter, Elizabeth, married John Marsh. Other sections of this history deal with the Marsh and Clark families, this brief section will deal with the Moore Family up until the time they married into my Clark lineage. THOMAS MOORE SENIOR The earliest firm record that I have concerns a Thomas Moore who would have been born in England sometime around 1585 or so. He was probably in the area of Southwold, Suffolk on the coast northeast of London. It was here that he married. His wife's name was Ann, but her last name is unknown. They had a child baptized there in 1630 and must have left almost immediately afterwards for America. The family sailed to Salem and in 1631, Thomas Moore was sent by John Mason of Salem to settle in the Province of New Hampshire. It would seem he died there, or possibly returned to Salem to die. He had passed away by July 11, 1636 because at that time there was a record of Thomas Moore son of Widow Moore and his wife are received as inhabitants of Salem, Massachusetts.' Nothing else is known about Thomas Moore Senior. Ann Moore was a midwife in Salem and the last note of her there was on August 17, 1668 when she sold her house and lot in Salem. By that time her son had moved to Long Island so she had elected to remain in Salem, perhaps with another of her children. I am only aware of two children, Thomas junior and Mary who married Joseph Grafton in Salem. There was that son baptized in 1630, but I do not know anything about him. Our line descends from the son, Thomas Moore
Thomas Moore, of Southwell & Salem's Timeline
Southwell, Nottinghamshire, England, United Kingdom
Southwold, Suffolk, England
Southwell, Nottinghamshire, England
Henham, Essex, England, United Kingdom
Southwell, Nottinghamshire, England
Southwold, Suffolk, England
May 20, 1616
Moore Place, Benenden, Kent, England, (Present UK)
Southwold, Norfolk, England
July 11, 1636
Town of Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts Bay Colony, (Present USA)