About Thomas White
From "Copies of the epitaphs in Salisbury cathedral, accompanied by tr. and notes ...", edited by James Harris (of Salisbury), 1825
On a brass, let into a stone, west of the chapel [of Salisbury Cathedral], is the following inscription:
- Epitaphium Thomae White, L. L. Doctoris,
- Cancellarii Ecclesiae Cathedralis B. Marisa
- Virginis Sarum, et Diocaeseos ejusdem,
- Archdiaconi Berks, et quondam Custodis
- Collegii S Mariae Winton in Oxon qui obiit
- 12 die Junii An. Dni- 1588
- AEqui perpetuus bonique Cultor,
- Defensor viduae, Patronus orbi,
- Cujus Judicio labat sagaci
- Nunc Jus Imperiale destitutum,
- Quern notus toties sibi fidelem,
- Ignotus sibi sensit hospitalem,
- Annorum placide satur sub isto
- Obdormit recubans Whitus Sepulchre
Translation.—The epitaph of Thomas White, L L. D. Chancellor of the Cathedral of the Virgin Mary, in Sarum, and Diocese of the same, Archdeacon of Berks, and formerly Master of the College of St. Mary, at Oxford, who died 12 June, 1588. He was a true and active practiser of justice and humanity; the friend of injured widows and of all who wanted his assistance. Alas! his earthly power to help the poor and wretched is gone for ever, and no one can again enjoy his generous hospitality, for as full of years as goodness White lies buried here.
(About Salisbury Cathedral - Wikipedia) Salisbury Cathedral, formally known as the Cathedral Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is an Anglican cathedral in Salisbury, England, and is considered one of the leading examples of Early English architecture. The main body was completed in only 38 years, from 1220 to 1258.
The cathedral has the tallest church spire in the United Kingdom (123m/404 ft). Visitors can take the "Tower Tour" where the interior of the hollow spire, with its ancient wood scaffolding, can be viewed. The cathedral also has the largest cloister and the largest cathedral close in Britain (80 acres (320,000 m2)). The cathedral contains the world's oldest working clock (from AD 1386) and has the best surviving of the four original copies of the Magna Carta (all four original copies are in England). Although commonly known as Salisbury Cathedral, the official name is the Cathedral of Saint Mary. In 2008, the cathedral celebrated the 750th anniversary of its consecration in 1258.