|Nicknames:||"Tilman Fishbach", "Tyl van Hollensteyn", "Tillman Hollenstein"|
|Birthplace:||Hilchenbach, Arnsberg, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany|
|Death:||Died in Freudenberg, Arnsberg, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany|
|Occupation:||owner of ironworks, copper and iron mines|
|Managed by:||Patrick Brommer|
About Tyl van Fishpe
Notes for Tyl "Tilman" van Fishpe ("Also known as Tillman Hollenstein....ancestor of the Fishbach family.")
A Martin Genealogy as Tied to the History of Germanna, Virginia
Tyl van Fishpe is shown as the owner of the ironworks at Niederndorf in governmental rent accounts of 1444-45. The ironworks existed before 1444, and was probably owned by his father. From about 1465, Tyl van Fishpe was a “Schultheis” (Count’s Representative and Chief Justice) of the district of Freudenberg. He was Chief Justice and owner of the Niederndorf ironworks, also a lessee of the Count’s ironworks at the castle in Freudenberg. As Tyl van Hollensteyn, he was also part owner of the copper and iron mines near Oberschelden.
According to the list of incomes and rents of the Counts of Nassau (1417-19), Tyl paid ground rent and water rent for the ironworks. It continued in his name until 1493-94 when it is listed in the name of Johan van Fispe, who inherited the smelter from his father but lived only a few years longer. The smelter was carried on in 1495 by Johann, son of Demoden Henchen, also the lessee of the mines in the district of Siegen. From 1497 the lessee was Hermann Kalf. Johann vonn Holenstein (or Fischbach) was owner of the ironworks from 1505. In 1559, he was called former “Schultheiss at Freudenberg.” As his name and succession to the property shows, he was a grandson of the older “Schultheiss,” “Tyl van Fishpe.”
The iron smelter was purchased by the Count of Nassau. The Count was seeking to gain control of the iron industry of the country, through the purchase of hammers and smelters. The trade of “Hammersmiths and Smelterers” opposed this and had the Count give a binding promise that he would not build any new ironworks. It was after this agreement that the Count sold the Niederndorf ironworks. He sold it to Hans Koenig, steelsmith, who built a building, without permission, near the site of the old ironworks. The site was to build the new “steel-hammer.” The children of Johann Fischbach went to court and asked the building be removed.
It was this “ironworks” founded before 1444 by the Fishpe (Fischbach) family that probably had an influence on the early immigrants from this area who came to Virginia in 1714 and helped found Germanna and build the first "iron furnace" to make "pig iron" in America.
Children of Tyl van Fishpe and (unknown) van Fishpe(?-maiden) are:
- (daughter) van Fispe, born Abt. 1435; died Unknown; married Hen vor der Hardt Abt. 1495; born Unknown; died Unknown.
- Johan van Fispe, born Abt. 1440; died Abt. 1495; married (unknown) Fispe(?-maiden).
- .Otto Johannsen's article in Stahl und Eisen, 10 August 1910, pp. 1373-1376. The article concerns a German manuscript dated 1454 with a detailed description of how iron can be cast - probably the earliest description in Europe.
- Marc Wheat database
- Ancestors of James(Jim) Robert Etherton III - Generation No. 18
------------------------------------------------------ B.C. Holtzclaw, Ancestry and Descendants of the Nassau-Siegen Immigrants to Virginia, 1714-1750 (Germanna Record No. 5), 1964. pp 145-146.
VOCATION: Like his grandson, owner of the iron-works at Niederdorf in the Fischbach parish, and the Schultheiss of the district of Freudenberg (representative of the Count and chief justice of the district court). Mentioned by name as "Tyl van Fispe" in the governmental rent accounts of 1444/45 (Staatsarchiv, Wiesbaden, Division 171, page 435) as the owner of the iron-works (smelter) at Niederndorf, for which he paid 3 Gulden ground rent at that time.