About Walter Hurst
Mr Walter Hurst
- Born: Saturday 24th November 1888 in Southampton Hampshire England
- Age: 23 years 4 months and 22 days.
- Marital Status: Married.
- Last Residence: in Southampton Hampshire England
- Occupation: Fireman / Stoker
- Engine crew
- First Embarked: Southampton
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
- Died: Thursday 17th December 1964
Mr Walter Hurst, 23, lived on Chapel Rd, Southampton. He was married on 18th May 1907 to Rosina née Mintram. His father-in-law William Mintram was also a fireman on board.
William Mintram and Walter Hurst met each other shortly before the Titanic went down. William had found a lifejacket, but Hurst had not, so William gave his lifejacket to his son-in-law. This may have contributed to the fact that Walter was able to stay on collapsible B, and to survive, while William did not.
Walter Hurst died on 17 December 1964 at Harefield, Southampton References and Sources Crew Particulars of Engagement Southern Evening Echo, 14 April 1958, Article General Register Office Certified Copy of an Entry of Death
Credits Peter Andrews, UK (great grandson of Walter Hurst) Chris Dohany, USA Brian Ticehurst, UK