Historical records matching Waterman Baldwin
About Waterman Baldwin
WATERMAN5, Isaac4, John3, Benjamin2, Henry1
'Member of Capt. Spaulding's militia during the Revolution.' Ancestor #: A005365
'Research needed: CC Baldwin has him born Elmira, NY on 1/8/1757; DAR records place his birth in Norwich Ct in 1757; LDS records have him b. Norwich Ct on 1/16/1758; Ashland Cemetery records have him b. 8/1/1857. Find a Grave has birth as 1/7/1755. http://www.joycetice.com/families/baldwinf.htm has him born Jan 8,1757.Also, while CC Baldwin has his birth as Elmira, LDS has Norwich,Ct and the site listed here states that Isaac was "the first Baldwin family to settle in Chemung County, and...emigrated WITH HIS FAMILY to the Wyoming Valley before removing to Elmira.So...actual record of birth date and place are not confirmed. http://archive.org/stream/briefhistoryofch00town#page/98/mode/2up. "A Brief History of Chemung County, New York"...Events in History...1786: Isaac Baldwin and his eight sons settle at Chemung'
Waterman Baldwin, son of Isaac Baldwin and Patience Rathbun, was b. Jan. 8,1757(Ashland Cemetery Records say Aug.1,1757)*, in Elmira, NY.; d. Apr. 21,1810. The Elmira Daily "Advertiser,' of Aug. 20,1875, gives the following account of him: 'Waterman Baldwin was a resident of Pittston until 1798, and about that time removed to the neighborhood of Elmira, NY. He was for some time an agent of the US Government among the Indians in Western New York. In 1808, he was engaged in getting out lumber for market in the neighborhood of Starkey, and had a sawmill and store there. He had been a merchant of Pittston. He m. CELINDA HAZEN.
Children were: Mary (m.Carter), John (m. Mary Jenkins), Harry (m. Zina, dau.Wilkes Jenkins; d. many years ago in Southport), and Nancy (unm).
Says the 'Advertiser': Waterman, the third son of the elder Isaac, as in the list noted above, was a remarkable character. It is believed he filled to the full his measure of usefulness during the Revolutionary war, (in a capacity similar to that of Harvey Birch, whom Cooper has made immortal in the novel of the "Spy," and under the immediate eye of Washington himself. At least Watt, as he was called, prided himself as "one whom Washington had trusted." He is the hero of Chedayne, in the novel of Ausburn Tamer, entitled "Chedayne of Katono," says the Elmira Daily 'Advertiser', of July 20,1878. He possessed a silver-mounted saddle, which had been given him by the officers of the army, and a horse, called Roanoke, which performed some feats that were prodigious. Watt was also an adopted son of the famous Indian Chief, Cornplanter, who had been struck by his bravery and coolness, shown under discouraging circumstances. He did not take kindly to the ways of civilization, preferring life on the mountains and in the woods, taking care of himself with his rifle and his knife. Innumerable incidents of a striking and humorous character are told of him, few of which have ever seen the light, but all of which deserve telling and preserving. He was among the taxables of Pittston, Luzerne county, Penn., in 1796.
- Find a grave memorial. 'Wife's name listed as Celinda Burnham and birth year as 1755. They have been contacted.'
- http://archive.org/details/briefhistoryofch00town. Pg. 98
- http://archive.org/stream/briefhistoryofch00town#page/38/mode/2up. Pg. 39
- http://www.joycetice.com/families/baldwinf.htm. This contradicts birth date of the following URL entry.
- http://www.joycetice.com/military/patriot.htm. Date of birth, burial
- http://www.amrev.org/htdocs/html/fm/Centennialreg/ANCBPage4.shtml. DAR record for Waterman Baldwin.
- http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/daughters-of-the-american-revolution-cn/lineage-book-volume-55-gua/page-14-lineage-book-volume-55-gua.shtml. Item 219. Wife Calinda Hazen.
- http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/h/o/l/Tammy-A-Holton/GENE1-0008.html. #99
- http://archive.org/stream/cu31924028843088#page/n33/mode/2up. Olf Families of Norwich, Conn. IV-V...Waterman Baldwin m. Celinda Hazen.
- The Baldwin genealogy from 1500 to 1881 (1881)
Author: Baldwin, C. C. (Charles Candee), 1834-1895 Subject: Baldwin family Publisher: Cleveland, O, [Leader printing company] Possible copyright status: NOT_IN_COPYRIGHT
Waterman Baldwin's Timeline
January 7, 1757
Norwich, New London Co., New York, USA
April 21, 1810
Southport (Chemung Co), Chemung Co., New York, USA
prob. Pittston, Pennsylvania
prob. Pittston, Pennsylvania, USA
prob Pittston, Pennsylvania
Lowman, Chemung county, New York, USA