|Nicknames:||"Willem Adriaansz VAN WIJK", "WIJCK", "van Wyk"|
|Birthplace:||Wijk bij Duurstede, Utrecht, Netherlands|
|Death:||Died in Cape of Good Hope|
Matching family tree profiles for Willem van Wijk, SV/PROG 2
About Willem van Wijk, SV/PROG 2
Descendant of the Kings of England:
Descendant of Kings of England, Scotland and France:
Adriaen Gerritsz van Wijk his father
Gerrit Jerephaesz Van Wijk his father
Margriet van Hattem his mother
Dirck van Hattem her father
Gerrit van Hattem his father
Willem van Hattem his father
Bartold van Hattem his father
Jan van Hattem his father
Regnald III, hertog van Gelre his father
Eleanor of Woodstock his mother
Edward II of England her father
http://www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk/kfp/I225.html good reference for this family.
For Geni, I recommend we stick to the theory below that Willem and Roelof were brothers until someone comes up with information to confirm this or prove otherwise. It is possible that Willem and Arij could have been brothers but for the time being we will adopt the thinking below.
Willem van Wyk (Wijck)
He was one of the two stamvaders of the van Wijk family who arrived at the Cape in the 17th Century. The other was Arij van Wijk. It seems likely that they were related to one another but how is not yet apparent.
For comprehensive information on the family van Wyk go to -
Willem van Wijk at the Cape
He first appears at the Cape as a Company servant, working in the Company's Garden in 1672. By 1678 he was a free burger, farming around Cape Town, working first in partnership with Gerrit Teunisz and then, from 1679 to 1685, with Hans Erntrout (?Hans Rutger Troost?).
His Farm He and his family seem first to have lived in Cape Town, but from 1692 at the latest they were farming in Drakenstein. In the estate accounts drawn up after the death of his first wife, their farm was named as Sandwijk, and was situated in Drakenstein. They would seem to have concentrated on wine, with their number of vines rising from 2000 in 1692 to 6000 in 1702.
His First Marriage - Trijntje Hillebrands He married firstly Trijntje Hillebrands in 1685 at Cape Town. Occasionally in the Muster Rolls, she is given the surname Wijkens. I don't know if this refers to her own surname or is derived from that of her husband. She died between 1693 and 1695. Her estate accounts were drawn up on 10th March 1695 where she is noted to have left two surviving children.
His Second Marriage - Trijntje Harmensz: He married secondly Trijntje Harmensz: around 1694, probably in Drakenstein where they lived, since no record of the marriage survives. After Willem van Wijk's death, she married a second time to Jurgen Kervel (sometimes also Kerver) with whom she had several more children. In 1712 the Orphan Chamber called her to account for apparently not paying out their paternal inheritance to the two children of the first wife of Willem van Wijk.
Willem van Wijk's Children
By his first wife, Trijntje Hillebrands, we know of three children:
- b1. Arij, baptised Cape Town 13 April 1686.
- Around 1711 he married Anthonetta Campher, the widow of Gerrit van der Swaan, and left 9 children when he died in 1731
- b2. Jannetie, baptised Cape Town 13 June 1688
- She would seem to have died before 1695 as she is not mentioned in the will described above.
- b3. Gerrit, date of birth or baptism not known.
- He married firstly Elisabeth Vivier in 1722 and secondly Maria Provo (Prevost) around 1731. He died around 1737, leaving 8 children.
By his second wife, Trijntje Harmensz:, we know of another three children:
- b4. Maria
- She married Cornelis Pieters Stapper
- b5. Anna
- She lived first with Gerrit Willemse and then Isaac Nieuwoudt (or both at the same time?)
- b6. Willem
- He married firstly Johanna Catharina Campher in 1729 and secondly Hendrina Monk around 1746.
- He died in 1756 leaving 9 children.
Death of Willem van Wijk His death is noted in an Orphan Chamber entry dated 31st March 1702. In this same document, Trijntje Harmensz:, his widow, states that her husband had been beset with many illnesses before he died.
Estate Accounts - Van Wijk, Willem Willemsz: 1756
Estate Accounts - Van Wijk, Willem d'oude, 21 October 1772
Inventory - Campher, Johanna Catharina, 2 May 1746
Inventory - Hillebrants, Trijntjen, en nagelate man Willem van Wijk, 1695
Inventory - Van Wijk, Arij, 1731
Muster Rolls of Free Burgers (VC39, vol.1, p. 123 and p. 161, p. 179)
Opgaaf (tax) rolls of Freemen at the Cape
Provision for children of previous marriage - Provo, Maria, 1740
Weesmeesteren: Extracten 1699 enz.
Will - Helmes, Cornelia and Jacob Coetser, 1720
Will - Van Wijk, Arij & Cornelia Helmes, 1713
Will - Van Wijk, Gerrit & Maria Provo, 1731
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk Argief
(in the form of microfilm copies)
Cape Town Congregation - Registers of baptism and marriage
Drakenstein Congregation - Membership Register
Drakenstein Congregation - Registers of baptism and marriage
Stellenbosch Congregation - Registers of baptism and marriage
Research by: Richard Ball who would have been unable to do this research without the help of André Kellerman, Helena Liebenberg, Graham Lloyd, Maureen de Villiers and Mansell Upham.
For a more detailed account of the families and the evidence, see:
Introduction to the early Van Wijks at the Cape
Willem van Wijk and his family
Notes on Trijntje Harmens:
Arij van Wijk and his family
on Richard Ball's web site.
In the early records of inhabitants of the Cape of Good Hope, the Muster Rolls of Free Persons (Monsterollen van Vrije Luijden), and the Tax Lists (Opgaafrollen) there are 3 Van Wijks featured:
1 Willem van Wijk who first appears as a free settler in 1678 as an apparently single man working in partnership with another free settler. He appears fairly regularly over the years, making his last appearence in 1702. I [Richard Ball] have prepared a timeline for him here.
2 Roelof van Wijk and his wife Trijntje Jans first appear in 1686 in the Cape Town baptismal registers when he and his wife were witnesses at the baptism of the son of Willem van Wijk. Their fist appearance in the muster and opgaaf rolls was in 1688. In the opgaaf rolls of that year they are listed as having one son.
They appear regularly over the years. The muster roll of 1692 credits them still with one child, but the Tax roll of the same year list them without any children. They make their last appearance apparently in 1698. See their timeline.
3 Arij van Wijk appears first in the Muster Roll of 1693 with his wife Cornelia Hellemans and 3 children and makes his last appearance in these records in 1712, the year before his death. See his timeline.
Philip van Wyck suggested1 that this Arij van Wijk was the son of Roelof van Wijk; that he was the one son listed with Roelof and his wife up to and including 1692; after which Arij appears in the records in 1693 with his newly married wife, Cornelia Helmes, and her three children by her previous husband.
Although I do believe that Arij van Wijk was the son of Roelof and Trijntje, I think that this child, listed with them in the Muster Rolls and the Opgaaf Returns, was probably another child. From 1688 to 1692 Arij van Wijk would have been aged 20 through to 24 - I do not think he would have been listed with his parents as a child at that age.
My guess would be that Willem and Roelof van Wijk were brothers, both sons of an unknown Arij van Wijk3, but I have so far come across no hard evidence of this.
My conclusions from the research I have done so far may be seen here:
Willem van Wijk,
farmer of Sandwijk, in Drakensteijn
second wife of Willem van Wijk
Arie van Wijk
farmer of Stellenbosch
born circa 1668, Amsterdam
died circa 1713, Stellenbosch
Gerrit van Wijk, mentioned above.
I would be very grateful to hear of any other information which may throw light on these people and their relationships.
1 The Ancestors of the South African Van Wyks in Holland, by Phillip van Wyck, in Familia, Vol 3, 1966, p42-48.
2 In his will, dated 1713, Arij van Wijk is described as having been born in Amsterdam and being 45 years old.
3 Both named a son Arij, in both cases this would seem to have been their eldest son. In the baptismal entry for Arij the son of Roelof van Wijk and Trijntje Jans, Roelof is given the patronymic 'Adriaensz':
Amsterdam, Nieuwe Kerk
parents: Roelof Adriaensz van Wijk and Trijntje Jans
witnesses: Hendrik Coenraetsz van der Meijde and Aaltje Adriaens van Wijk
(Information supplied by Bob Kernkamp)
Willem van Wijk M, #6290, b. circa 1660
- NGK (Cape Town) Baptisms 1665-1695 NGK (Cape Town) Baptisms 1665-1695
- NGK (Cape Town) Marriages1665-1695 NGK (Cape Town) Marriages 1665-1695
- NGK Drakenstein Baptisms 1694-1732 NGK Drakenstein Baptisms 1694-1732
- NGK Drakenstein Marriages 1717-1740 NGK Drakenstein Marriages 1717-1740
- Birth* Willem van Wijk was born circa 1660.1
- Marriage* He married Trijntjen Hillebrants on 5 August 1685 at Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, (Cape Town), de Caep de Goede Hoop.2
- Marriage* He married Catharina Harmensz circa 1696 at Drakenstein.1
- Baptism He and Catharina Kiens witnessed the baptism of Margarita Groot on 26 May 1686 at Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, (Cape Town), de Caep de Goede Hoop.3
- Baptism He and Trijentijen Ijans witnessed the baptism of Willem van Wyk on 19 January 1698 at Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Stellenbosch, de Caep de Goede Hoop.4,5
- NameRecord 19 January 1698, the name of Willem van Wijk was written in the record as Wijelùm van Wijck.6
Family 1 - Trijntjen Hillebrants b. c Apr 1660, d. c 1695
- Arie van Wijk Willemse+1 b. b 15 Apr 1686
- Jannetie van Wijck7 b. b 13 Jun 1688
- Gerrit van Wijk+8 b. c 1689
Family 2 Catharina Harmensz b. c 1676
- Maria van Wijk9
- Anna van Wijk+10 b. c 1698, d. a 1732
- Willem van Wijk+11 b. b 31 Jul 1703, d. c 1756
- [S331] Webpage Ball Family Records (www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk) "http://www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk/kfp/I225.html."
- [S392] NGK G1 1/1, Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Mar), 1665-1695: ao' 1685 eodem dito (den 5 Augustus)
- Willem van Wyck, vryburger, en Catharina Hillebrants, transcribed by Richard Ball, Norfolk, England, (May 2006), Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/. Hereinafter cited as Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Mar).
- [S397] NGK G1 1/1, Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Bapt.), 1665-1695: ao' 1686 den 26 Mei Margarita Simon de Groot, en Geertruyd Witt. Willem van Wyck en Catharina Kiens, transcribed by Richard Ball, Norfolk, England, (May 2006), Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/. Hereinafter cited as Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Bapt.).
- [S325] Lorna Newcomb and Ockert Malan, compilers, Annale van Nederduits Gereformeerde Moedergemeente Stellenbosch No 1.., CD-ROM (Stellenbosch) Die Genootskap vir die Kerkversameling, 2004 0-9584832-1-3), Baptism Register, Wijellum soon van Aerrij van Wijck de Moeder Cornelija HELLEM de getuijgen Wijellum van Wijck and Trijentijen Ijans - ijs gedoop den 19 Januarij 1698. Hereinafter cited as Palmkronieke I Baptisms.
- [S324] GSSA, "Van Wij(c)/VanWyk CD", 2005 (Pretoria). , In the baptism record he named as 'Wijellum' with parents 'Aerrij van WIJCK' and 'Cornelija HELLEM' and witnesses 'Wijellum van WIJCK and Trijentijen Ijans'.. Hereinafter cited as "Van Wij(c)/VanWyk CD."
- [S325] Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms, Wijeliùm zoon van Aeririj van Wijck de moeder Cornelija Hellem de getùijgen Wijellùm van Wijck en Trijentijen Ijans - is gedoop den 19 Ijanùarij 1698.
- [S397] NGK G1 1/1, Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Bapt.): Den 13 Junii  is een kindt gedoopt en genaamd Jannetie waar van vader is Willem van Wijck moeder Catarina Wijekens. de getuigen Willem Meijer en Catarinaa Kien., 1665-1695, Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/
- [S324] GSSA, "Van Wij(c)/VanWyk CD."
- [S331] Webpage Ball Family Records (www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk) "http://www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk/kfp/I225.html##I417."
- [S331] Webpage Ball Family Records (www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk) "http://www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk/kfp/I303.html##I330."
- [S331] Webpage Ball Family Records (www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk) "http://www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk/kfp/I207.html."
Willem Van Wij(c)k * c. 1655 a. 1676 v. Engen, Nederland † voor 31.3.1702 s.v. Adriaen Gerritsz van Wijck en Jantgen Aerts x Kaapstad 5.8.1685 Catharina HILLEBRANDT * Nederland c. 1657 xx Trijntje HARMENSZ
b1 Arij (Willem) * c. 1686 ≈ Kaapstad 13.4.1686, eienaar v. “Bontevallei” † voor 1734 x Stellenbosch 27.12.1711 Anthoinetta (Agnita) CAMPHER /KAMFER (wed. v. Gerrit van der Swaan) * c. 1688 d.v. Lorenz Campher en Ansela Hanselaar (sy xxx Stellenbosch 31.5.1733 Joachim Scholtz Burger)
b2 Johanna/ Jannetje * c. 1688 ≈ Kaapstad 13.6.1688
b3 Gerrit (Arie), burger v. Drakenstein x Kaapstad 26.4.1722 Elisabeth (Isabeau) VIVIER (wed. v. Nicolas Labat en Mattijs Hendrik Eijkhoff /Eckhoff)
- c. 1698 ≈ Drakenstein (Paarl) 12.2.1698 † c. 1730
d.v. Abraham Vivier en Jaquemina des Pres xx Kaapstad 25.3.1731 Marie PREVOT * c. 1712 ≈ Drakenstein (Paarl) 28.1.1713 d.v. Abraham Prevot en Anna van Marseveen
b5 Anna x c. 1716 Gerrit WILLEMS (voorheen x Magteld Cornelisse) * Friesland, Nederland c. 1686 xx Kaapstad 6.2.1724 Isaac NIEUWOUDT (wew.) * Amsterdam, Nederland c. 1688, stamvader v.d. Nieuwoudts in SA a. 1716, soldaat later chirurgyn
b6 Willem, burger v. Drakenstein x Drakenstein (Paarl) 2.1.1729 Johanna Catharina CAMPHER ≈ Stellenbosch 19.6.1707 d.v. Cornelis Campher en Dorothea Oelofse xx 30.8.1746 Hendrina MONK * c. 1729 ≈ 30.10.1729 d.v. Andries Monk en Aletta Gerritse (sy xx 25.5.1756 Johannes Hendrik Maritz)
Willem van Wijk, SV/PROG 2's Timeline
Wijk bij Duurstede, Utrecht, Netherlands
Cape, South Africa
June 13, 1688
Cape, South Africa
Drakenstein ( Paarl), Cape, South Africa
Cape Town, South Africa
March 31, 1702
Cape of Good Hope
Cape, South Africa