William Goodwin (c.1480 - 1531) MP

‹ Back to Goodwin surname

Is your surname Goodwin?

Research the Goodwin family

William (2nd) Goodwin of Blofield's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Share

Nicknames: "William Goodwyn"
Birthplace: Blofield, Norfolk, England
Death: Died in Blofield, Norfolk, England
Managed by: Henrik Nissen Sætness
Last Updated:

About William Goodwin

Source

William was probably the son of William, the son of John & Alice, which son died in 1465 and Alice in 1480, both of them testate. John was probably the son of Vincent Goodwin who died testate in 1433, naming only a son, William and a wife Asilia.

http://nefamilies.com/fam/groupsheetI1000014479.aspx

Source 2

Although the will names no places, it is obvious that William was of Blofield, because he refered to the parish church of Saint Andrew which is in Blofield, but more, he bequeathed to his son John the tenement called Gibbs. This tenement was in Blofield and was later bequeathee by John's son, John Junior, in his will of 1593. Thus, these two items in his will establish William as being of Blofield and that he was the father of John through whom this line of descent runs.

Addendum

St Andrew & St Peter, Blofield

Blofield Church was consecrated in 1420 and finished 1444. It is a large grand wool church. For the Church historian it is a delight.

The Perpendicular tower stands 110 feet and contains 8 bells, which are rung regularly.

Internally there are ancient benches with poppy heads and some with carved figures.

Raised box pews at the rear of the nave are popular with families as children can see over the heads of those sitting in front.

There are numerous ledger stones on the floors and a marble monument to Edward Paston (1630).

The chancel is separated from the nave by the remains of the rood screen with pained panels of the apostles.

The north wall has a painted consecration cross.

The medieval font is unique with its 8 sides depicting scenes from the Nativity through to the Ascension.

Source 3

Archdeaconry of Norwich 1529-36, folio 118: Will of William Goodwin the elder made 10 March 1528/29 & proved 20 May 1531.

William is very probably the son of William Goodwin who is mentioned in the will of his father & his mother John Goodwin & Alice his wife of Blofield.

But because a will for the probable father William cannot be found, this assumption cannot be proven. This source believes strongly that the line does include William as father of this William & John & Alice as grandfather of this William.

Owned several "tenements" in Blofield, Norfolk, England, UK -------------------- St Andrew & St Peter, Blofield Blofield Church was consecrated in 1420 and finished 1444. It is a large grand wool church. For the Church historian it is a delight. The Perpendicular tower stands 110 feet and contains 8 bells, which are rung regularly. Internally there are ancient benches with poppy heads and some with carved figures. Raised box pews at the rear of the nave are popular with families as children can see over the heads of those sitting in front. There are numerous ledger stones on the floors and a marble monument to Edward Paston (1630). The chancel is separated from the nave by the remains of the rood screen with pained panels of the apostles. The north wall has a painted consecration cross. The medieval font is unique with its 8 sides depicting scenes from the Nativity through to the Ascension.

view all

William (2nd) Goodwin of Blofield's Timeline

1480
1480
Blofield, Norfolk, England
1505
1505
Age 25
Blofield, Norfolk, England
1510
1510
Age 30
Blofield, Norfolk, England
1512
1512
Age 32
Blofield, Norfolk, England
1516
1516
Age 36
Blofield, Norfolk, England
1520
1520
Age 40
<Blofield, Norfolk, Eng.>
1529
March 16, 1529
Age 49
1531
May 20, 1531
Age 51
Blofield, England
May 20, 1531
Age 51
Blofield, Norfolk, England

Between 16 March 1528/9 and 29 May 1531
In accordance with his will, to be buried in the Churchyard of St Andrew