William Bertram Greenfield
|Birthplace:||Newark, New Jersey, USA|
|Death:||Died in New York City, USA|
|Cause of death:||Heart Failure/Disease|
|Place of Burial:||USA|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Historical records matching William Bertram Greenfield
About William Bertram Greenfield
- Name: Mr William Bertram Greenfield
- Born: Friday 11th May 1888
- Age: 23 years
- Last Residence: in New York City New York United States
- 1st Class passenger
- First Embarked: Cherbourg on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 17759 , £63 7s 2d
- Cabin No.: D10
- Rescued (boat 7)
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
- Died: Saturday 12th November 1949
- Cause of Death: Heart Failure / Disease
- Buried: Salem Fields Cemetery New York City New York United States
Mr William Bertram Greenfield, 23, was born in New York City, on 11 May 1888, the son of Leo Greenfieldand Blanche Strouse.
A furrier from New York, NY, Mr Greenfield boarded the Titanic at Cherbourg with his mother Blanche Greenfield, they they held ticket number PC 17759, price £63, 7s, 2d and occupied cabins D-10/12.
After the collision Mr Greenfield played cards in the first class smoking room with Alfred Nourney (Baron von Drachstedt) and Henry Blank.
He was rescued in lifeboat 7.
William rarely spoke about the Titanic disaster largely out of respect to his mother, Blanche, who was forever haunted by the screams of those who died in the icy waters.
William Greenfield served during World War I, married, had two daughters and continued to live in New York City. He died on 12 November 1949 at the age of 61. He was buried at the Salem Field Cemetery in Brooklyn, New York.
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Mrs Blanche Greenfield
References and Sources
- Contract Ticket List, White Star Line 1912 (National Archives, New York; NRAN-21-SDNYCIVCAS-55)
- Borough Of Manhattan Certificate Of Death
- New York Times, 14 November 1949, Obituary
- Nell Greenfield (Daughter of William Greenfield)
- Michael A. Findlay, USA
- Phillip Gowan, USA
- Hermann Söldner, Germany
- Craig Stringer, UK
- Geoff Whitfield, UK