William Smith Bryan, III
|Birthplace:||Banbridge, Co. Down, Ireland|
|Death:||Died in Salem, Botetourt Co., Virginia|
|Place of Burial:||WEST HILL CMETERY, Salem, SALEM CITY, VA, USA|
Son of William Bryan, II; William Bryan, II; Margaret Bryan and Margaret Bryan
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for William Smith Bryan, III
About William Smith Bryan, III
A Patriot of the American Revolution for VIRGINIA (Soldier). DAR Ancestor #: A206882
- William BRYAN , Jr.
- Sex: M
Father: William BRYAN b: 1685 in Belfast, Ireland
Mother: Margaret LNU b: 1689 in Ireland -------------------- “...I William Bryan of Roan Oak in the county of Botetourt...Item, to my son John Bryan I give and bequeath 1/3 art of my right to 1400 acres of land in Kentucky on the waters of Licking for which my son James and me paid the purchase as by reccord at Richmond...Kentucky may appear. By right I mean what the law allows to those who pay the whole purchase money. I likewise give and bequeath to my son John all my wearing apparell of every descriptions except my hat which I give to my son-in-law John Cole...under my hand and seal this second day of July 1806.”
William Bryan (William2, Francis1), 2683, M. Born in ~1716 in Ireland. William died in VA in 1806; he was 90.
1. In 1752 William Jr. joined his father at the Great Springs Plantation.(History of Bryan-Cole Family, p. 12.)
2. According to W. B. Cole, April 1960, Bryans of Ballyroney, pg. 233, William Bryan, Jr. had 3 daughters. Catherine, the oldest daughter married John Cole on 13 Dec, 1786.
3. Will of William Bryan of Roanoke in Botetourt County. Wife, Elizabeth; sons, William, James, John; daughter, Catherine Cole, wife of John Cole; grandson, Wm. Cole. Dated 27th June, 1805. Recorded in Botetourt, October, 1806.
4. Death date from Augusta Co. records, Chakley, Vol. II., pg 23.
5. There was an obit for a William Bryan in the Richmond, VA Enquirer dated February 6, 1806. (Virginia Vital Records, List of Obituaries from Richmond, Virginia Newspapers, Page 156.) Is this the correct William Bryan?
On 2 Apr 1750 when William was 34, he first married Margaret Watson, 2684, F, in Monmouth Co., NJ. Born in 1724. Margaret died in VA in 1804; she was 80.
1. Marriage date from New Jersey Archives, First Series, XXII, 36.
2. Birth and death dates from family monument.
3. it is possible that she actually died much earlier. William had a second marriage to an Elizabeth who he mentions in his will. Elizabeth went to Missouri with James after William’s death and died there 12 Aug 1833. There is a marriage record in early Botetourt Co. records (Kegley, p. 539) for a William Bryan and an Elizabeth Philips. If this, in fact, is the second marriage for William Jr., then Margaret would have been deceased prior to 1785.
4. Margaret Watson is reputed to have been a relation of Philip Freneau, Poet of the Revolution. She may be related in some manner to the Watson’s of Philadelphia.
They had the following children:
49 i. William, 3560, M (1752-1806)
50 ii. David, 3566, M (1754-)
51 iii. John, 3561, M (1756-)
52 iv. James, 3562, M (1762-1837)
53 v. Robert, 4894, M (-<1806)
54 vi. Catherine, 1054, F (1766-1823)
55 vii. Nancy, 3567, F (1768-)
In ~1785 when William was 69, he second married Elizabeth, 4895, F. Born in ~1743. Elizabeth died in MO on 12 Aug 1833; she was 90.
William Smith Bryan, III's Timeline
Banbridge, Co. Down, Ireland
King George, King George, VA, USA
June 3, 1762
Great Spring Plantation, Augusta Co., Virginia
July 28, 1766
Salem, Roanoke Co., VA
July 2, 1796
Salem, Botetourt Co., Virginia