|Birthplace:||Rockbeare, Devon, England|
|Death:||Died in Piddlehinton, Dorset, England|
Son of Thomas Churchill, Esq. and Grace Churchill
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for William Churchill, of Dorset
About William Churchill, of Dorset
From Collin's Peerage
William Churchill, his Heir and Successor, who married Mary, eldest Daughter to Richard Creuse of Wicroft-Castle in the County of Devon, Esq; and by her he had three Sons, Roger of Catherston, William of Corton, and John who was seated at Muston, all in the County of Dorset.
From Re: Josiah (Josias) Churchill (ca. 1613 - 1686) 2012 (msg from Malcolm Churchill)
This response is drawn directly from Bill Churchill's work.
The William to whom you refer was one of two sons of Thomas of Rockbeare, who was born between 1465 and 1470 in Rockbeare, Devon. His elder son was Thomas of Rockbeare, born between 1490 and 1495 and died between 17 May 1577 and 24 December 1577 in Rockbeare. The Rockbeare, Devon, Churchills who descend from him include the immigrant to America, John of Plymouth.
The younger son, William of Dorset, whose wife as you say was Mary Creuse, was born between 1490 and 1495 and died before 11 July 1583 in Piddlehinton, Dorset. As you say, he had sons John, William, and Roger, though he also had a fourth son, Alexander. The Marlborough line is, as you say, descended from Roger.
From Re: Churchill-Bogart Connection 2005
Thomas and Grace (Tylle) Churchill had sons Thomas and William. Thomas was the eldest. He married Ibote [true spelling Iseult] Provedher and in accordance with the custom of the day assumed the whole of the Rockbeare holding upon the death of his father (i.e. through Primogeniture).
William was married off to Mary Creuse the eldest daughter of Richard of Wicroft (Wycroft) Castle in Devonshire. He initially removed to Colyton, Devon (pronounced like “Colliton.”) where he apparently became a minor Copyholder (a renter). He then removed to Catherston Leweston in Dorset where he acquired free tenure (possibly through Richard Creuse or possibly in his own right since he was a Yeoman of Devon). He is the earliest confirmed ancestor of the Dorset Churchills and was the progenitor of the later very prominent Churchills of Colliton and Alderholt Park.
His son John acquired an interest in a manor farm called Muston in Piddlehinton Parish, Dorsetshire initially by copyhold. Muston Manor survives to this day.
- The life of John, Duke of Marlborough : Prince of the Roman empire (1743)
- This William Churchill had his Seat at Rockbear, in Devonfhire. Who his Wife was, I do not find ; But he left Iffue Giles
- Churchill, Efq; who was Father of Charles Churchill, Efq; This Charles Churchill was engaged by ____ Courtney, Earl of Devonfhire, in the Caufe of King Edward IV. And, when Thomas Courtney, Earl of Devonfhire, forfook the Interefts his Father had efpoufed, continuing faithful, that Prince took him into his Favour, and advanced his Fortune, by procuring him, in Marriage, Margaret, only Daughter and Heirefs of Sir William Widville, who brought him a confiderable Eftate.
- By this Margaret, Charles Churchill had Iffue, Thomas Churchill, Efq; who married Grace, Daughter and Coheirefs of Thomas Tylle, of Tylle-Houfe, in Cornwal. He was fucceeded by William, his Son and Heir, who married Mary, the eldeft Daughter of Richard Cruefe, of Wicroft-Caftle, in Devonfhire, Efq;
- The visitation of the county of Dorset, taken in the year 1623 by St. George, Henry
- Will'm Churchell of Dorchest. in com. Dorset gent. = ch: Vertue (m. . . . . Hunton), John (m. Elino'r Miller), Grace (m. Joh. Wattes) Churchell.
- Vertue vxr . . . . Hunton of Knoyle in com. Wilts.
- Grace vxr Joh. Wattes of Dorchest.
- John Churchell of Dorchest. Esq. = Elino'r da. of John Miller of Keyme in com. Dorset. ; ch: Mathew, Anne (m Lancelet Cooper), Edith, Jane, Sara, Geruas, Rich., John, Rob't, Maximilian, Jasper, Thomas, Will'm (m. Mary Yarde) Churchell
- Mathew 9 sonne.
- Anne vx. Lancelet Cooper of ffaringdon in com. Deuon.
- Edith 2.
- Jane 3.
- Sarah 4.
- Geruas 2.
- Rich. 3.
- John 4.
- Rob't 5.
- Maximilian 6.
- Jasper 7.
- Thomas 8.
- Will'm Churchell of Muston in com. Dorset Esq. now liuinge 1623. = Mary da. of Geo. Yarde of Cherston fferrers in com. Devon. ; ch: Christian, John Churchell
- Christian a da. ætat. 2 annor. 1623.
- John Churchell sone and heyre ætat. 1 yeare annoru' (sic) 1623.
William Churchill, of Dorset's Timeline
Rockbeare, Devon, England
Catherstone Leweston, Dorset, , England
Dorchester, Dorset, England
Catherston Leweston, Dorset, England
July 11, 1583
Piddlehinton, Dorset, England