William Crothers Dulles
|Death:||Died in At Sea - Titanic Casualty|
|Cause of death:||Died in the sinking. Body recovered|
|Place of Burial:||Laurel Hill Cemetery Philadelphia Pennsylvania United States|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for William Crothers Dulles
About William Crothers Dulles
- Name: Mr William Crothers Dulles
- Born: Thursday 19th December 1872
- Age: 39 years
- Last Residence: in Philadelphia Pennsylvania United States
- 1st Class passenger
- First Embarked: Cherbourg on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 17580 , £29 14s
- Cabin No.: A18
- Died in the sinking.
- Body recovered by: Mackay-Bennett (No. 133)
- Buried: Laurel Hill Cemetery Philadelphia Pennsylvania United States
Mr William Crothers Dulles, 39, was born 19 December 1872.
Dulles worked as an attorney (lawyer) in Philadelphia, PA and had been traveling in Europe with his mother. He left her in Europe with his sister while he returned to the United States. He boarded the Titanic at Cherbourg as a first class passenger (ticket number PC 17580, £29 14s). He occupied cabin A-18.
Mr Dulles was a bachelor, and owned a horse-breeding farm in Goshen, New York. During the voyage, survivor William Sloper remembered befriending Mr Dulles and the two spent time conversing on numerous occasions. It was reported that Mr Dulles was returning on the Titanic with a dog but the specific breed is unknown.
Dulles died in the sinking. His body was recovered by the MacKay Bennett (#133) and forwarded to R. R. Bringhurst in Philadelphia on 1 May 1912.
N0. 133. - MALE. - ESTIMATED AGE, 50.
CLOTHING - Green suit; grey sweater and overshoes.
EFFECTS - Gold watch and chain; gold plated knife and chain; gold tie clip; "W. C. D."; four memo books; gold stud; 11s. 6 1/2d.
NAME - W. C. DULLES.
William Dulles was buried in a private mausoleum at the Laurel Hill Cemetery in Philadelphia, PA. Vandals have since damaged the doors to the Dulles mausoleum and knocked out the glass. However the inside of the mausoleum was not disturbed. Thanks to the vandals, one can read the inscription on the William Dulles' crypt:
- WILLIAM CROTHERS DULLES
- DECEMBER 19, 1872 - APRIL 15, 1912
- DIED FROM S.S. TITANIC
References and Sources
- Record of Bodies and Effects: Passengers and Crew, S.S. Titanic (Public Archives of Nova Scotia) (#133)
- Contract Ticket List, White Star Line 1912 (National Archives, New York; NRAN-21-SDNYCIVCAS-55)
- Michael A. Findlay, USA
William Crothers Dulles's Timeline
December 19, 1872
April 15, 1912
At Sea - Titanic Casualty
Laurel Hill Cemetery Philadelphia Pennsylvania United States