|Also Known As:||"1st Marquess of Douglas"|
|Birthplace:||Huntly, Aberdeenshire, Scotland|
|Death:||Died in Douglas, South Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Place of Burial:||Douglas, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom|
Son of William Douglas, 10th Earl of Angus and Elizabeth Douglas
|Occupation:||1st Marquess of Douglas|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for William Douglas, 1st Marquis of Douglas
About William Douglas, 1st Marquis of Douglas
William Douglas, 1st Marquis of Douglas and 11th Earl of Angus (1589-1660) was the eldest son of William Douglas, 10th Earl of Angus and Countess Elizabeth Oliphant, eldest daughter of Laurence Oliphant, 4th Lord Oliphant. His younger brothers were James Douglas, 1st Lord Mordington and Lord Francis Douglas. His sons by his first wife were Archibald Douglas, Earl of Angus, who was created Earl of Ormond, and Lord James Douglas. His second wife bore him two more sons, William, created Earl of Selkirk and later Duke of Hamilton for life, and George, created Earl of Dumbarton. The 1st Marquess of Douglas was succeeded in his titles by his grandson James, son of Archibald.
“ ... William, eleventh earl of Angus and first marquis of Douglas, like his father, was a Roman Catholic, and a faithful adherent of the king during the civil wars. He maintained to its fullest extent the old princely hospitality and grandeur of the family at Douglas castle, where he chiefly resided. The king constituted him his lieutenant on the borders, and created him Marquis of Douglas, 17th June 1638. He joined the Marquis of Montrose after his victory at Kilsyth in August 1645, escaped from the rout at the battle of Philiphaugh, 13th September of that year, and soon after made terms with the ruling powers. He was fined one thousand pounds sterling by Cromwell’s act of grace and pardon. He died 19th February 1660. He was twice married; first to the Hon. Margaret Hamilton, only daughter of Claud Lord Paisley, sister of James, first earl of Abercorn, and secondly to Lady Mary Gordon, third daughter of George Gordon, 1st Marquis of Huntly. ”
From Darryl Lundy's Peerage page on William Douglas:
William Douglas, 1st Marquess of Douglas1
- M, #109418,
- b. 1589,
- d. 19 February 1659/60
- Last Edited=12 Apr 2011
- Consanguinity Index=0.33%
William Douglas, 1st Marquess of Douglas was born in 1589. He was the son of William Douglas, 10th Earl of Angus and Elizabeth Oliphant.,
He married, firstly, Hon. Margaret Hamilton, daughter of Claud Hamilton, 1st Lord Paisley and Margaret Seton, in 1601.
He married, secondly, Lady Mary Gordon, daughter of George Gordon, 1st Marquess of Huntly and Lady Henrietta Stuart, on 15 September 1632 at Bellie, Scotland.
He died on 19 February 1659/60.
- He succeeded to the title of 11th Earl of Angus [S., 1389] on 3 March 1611.
- He resigned as Earl of Angus on 13 June 1633. He was created 1st Marquess of Douglas [Scotland] on 14 June 1633. He was created 1st Earl of Angus [Scotland] on 14 June 1633.
- He was created 1st Lord Abernethy and Jedburgh Forest [Scotland] on 14 June 1633.
- He held the office of Chief Lieutenant of the Borders.
- In 1644 he joined the Marquess of Montrose, fought at Philiphuagh, and escaped, but was later taken prisoner. Between April 1646 and 1647 at Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland, he was held prisoner. In 1654 he was fined £1,000 by Cromwell's Act of Grace.
- He has an extensive biographical entry in the Dictionary of Nationary Biography.
Children of William Douglas, 1st Marquess of Douglas and Hon. Margaret Hamilton
- 1. Lady Margaret Douglas1 b. bt 1601 - 1614, d. 1 Jan 1660
- 2. Lady Jean Douglas+1 b. bt 1602 - 1616, d. 1669
- 3. Lady Grizel Douglas+1 b. bt 1603 - 1623
- 4. Archibald Douglas, Earl of Angus+2 b. c 1609, d. 16 Apr 1655
- 5. Colonel Lord James Douglas3 b. 1617, d. 21 Oct 1645
- 6. stillborn son Douglas1 b. a 1618
Children of William Douglas, 1st Marquess of Douglas and Lady Mary Gordon
- 1. Lady Henrietta Douglas+1 b. c 1633, d. 1 Jun 1673
- 2. Lady Catherine Douglas1 b. bt 1633 - 1641
- 3. William Douglas-Hamilton, 1st Earl of Selkirk+2 b. 24 Dec 1634, d. 18 Apr 1694
- 4. Maj.-Gen. George Douglas, 1st Earl of Dunbarton+1 b. 1635, d. 20 Mar 1691/92
- 5. Lady Isabel Douglas+1 b. c Apr 1642, d. 2 Dec 1691
- 6. Lady Jean Douglas+1 b. bt 1643 - 1655
- 7. Lady Lucy Douglas+1 b. bt 1644 - 1654, d. 8 Jan 1713
- 1. [S8] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 106th edition, 2 volumes (Crans, Switzerland: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 1999), volume 1, page 1282. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 106th edition.
- 2. [S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume IV, page 437. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 3. [S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume IV, page 438.
William Douglas, 1st Marquis of Douglas's Timeline
Huntly, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Drumlanrig, Dumfries-Shire, Scotland
Douglas, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Morton, Dumfrieshire, Scotland