Matching family tree profiles for William Drake, of Southleigh
About William Drake
- Birth: Abt 1553 in Ashe, Devonshire, England
- Parents: Robert Drake (of Wiscombe Park, Devon), Elizabeth Prideaux
- Married: Philippa Dennys, daughter of Sir Robert Dennys , Knt. (of Holcombe-Burnell, Devonshire).1
- Death: between 4 December 1619 (will dated) and 18 May 1625 (estate probated on 19 May 1625) 1
4th cousin (and more) of his wife?
- John Drake+ b. 1585, d. 17 Aug 1659
- [S2] Frederick Lewis Weis, Ancestral Roots.
- [S359] Charles Henry Browning, Colonial Dames.
- Burke's genealogical and heraldic history of the landed gentry, Volume 1 By John Burke
- John Drake, Esq. of Ashe, who s. his father in the representation of the family, m. (26 HENRY VIII.,) Amye, dau. of Roger Grenville, Esq. of Stow, co. Cornwall, and had issue,
- I Bernard, his heir.
- II. Robert, of Wiscomb Park, in the parish of South Legh, m. Elizabeth, dau. of Humphrey Prideaux, Esq. of Theoborough, and had issue seven son and three daus.,
- 1. 'WILLIAM, Esq. of Wiscombe, m. PHILIPPA, dau. of Sir Robt. DENYS, Knt. of Halicomb, and had issue.
- 2. Bernard.
- 3. John, m., and had issue.
- 4. Robert,}
- 5. Henry,} both in the army, and killed at the defene of Osten, in the prime of their age, s. p.
- 6. Nicholas, m. Katherine, dau. of William Tottle, and relict of __ Kingley.
- 7. Humphrey.
- 1. Gertrude, m. to Henry Honychurch, of Awn Gifford.
- 2. Amye, m. __ Poole, of Nottingham.
- 3. Ursula, unm.
- III. Richard, equerry to Queen Elizabeth, m. Ursula, dau. of Sir William Stafford, Knt., and from whom the Drakes of Shardeloes.
- Mr. Drake, who served the office of sheriff for the county of Devon, 4 Queen Elizabeth, d. 4 Oct. 1558, and was s. by his son,
- The descendants of William and Elizabeth Tuttle, who came from old to New England in 1635, and settled in New Haven in 1639, with numerous biographical notes and sketches : also, some account of the descendants of John Tuttle, of Ipswich; and Henry Tuthill, of Hingham, Mass. (1883)
- II. Sir John Drake, Exq., of Ashe, High Sheriff of Devon; d. 1588; m. 1529, Amy Grenville, sis. to Sir Richard, and had: 1. Sir Bernard Drake, b. abt. 1530; a distinguished Naval Officer; d. Jan. 11, 1585; gave Sir Francis, s. of Edmund Drake, b. 1545, the great Admiral, a box on the ear for assuming the family arms, Sir Francis being of a younger branch. He m. Gertrude Fortesque, and had; 1. John, d. 1628; m. Helena, dau. of John, Baron Boteler of Herts, and his wf. Elizabeth, half-sis. to Geo. Villiers, Duke of Buckingham, and had: 1. Sir John. 2. George, d. unm., 1664. 3. Thomas of Ireland; d. s. i. 1659. 4. Henry, settled at Barnstaple, Devon, of which he was Mayor, 1679. 5. Dorothy. 6. Mary. 7. Eleanor. 8. Elizabeth, m. Sir Winston Churchill. (1). John Churchill, b. at Ashe (while his mother was on a visit to her father) Duke of Marlboro; m. Sarah Jennings. (2) Arabella, had 4 chil. by James, Duke of York, afterwards James II, King of England. She afterwards m. Col. Charles Godfrey, and had, 1. Charlotte, m. April 23, 1700, High Bascawen, Viscount Falmouth and had 18 chil. (3) George. 2. Margaret, m. John Sherman and had dau. Alice, m. Richard Percival, ancestor of Earls of Egmont. 2. Robert Drake of Wiscomb, m. and had 7 sons and 3 daus. '1. WILLIAM.' 2. Bernard. 3. John, m. and had i. 4. Robert. 5. Henry, killed in army; s. i. 6. Nicholas, m. Katharine, dau. of William Tothill and wid. of Wm. Kingsley. 7. Humphrey. 8. Gertrude. 9. Amy. 10. Ursula. 3. Richard Drake, b. 1534; of Surrey; d. July 11, 1603, Equerry to Queen Elizabeth. Introduced his kinsman, Francis Drake, afterwards the great Admiral, to the Queen; m. Ursula, dau. of Sir Wm. Stafford. 1. Francis Drake of Shardeloes, d. 1613; m. Joan, dau. of Wm. Tothill of Shardeloes, Esq. At her house Thomas Hooker sojourned, afterwards ??u de? of the Conn. Colony. *2. George Drake of Spratshays, Esq.; supposed of this family; had dau; Katharine m. John Ford of Bagton, Devon, Eng. who had Sir Henry Ford, Secretary of Stateof Ireland for Charles II; sold Bagton to Mr. Tothill, whose descendants sold it to Lord Ashburton.
- Robert Drake of Wiscombe Park
- m. Elizabeth Prideaux (dau. of Humphrey Prideaux of Theoborough)
- 1. William Drake of Wiscomb (d before 19.05.1625)
- m. Philippa Denys (d before 05.10.1655, sister of Sir Thomas Denys)
- A. Thomas Drake of Wiscomb (b c1594, d before 24.09.1661)
- m. Helen Walker (d before 26.04.1678, dau/coheir of Alexander Walker of Bampton)
- B. Joan Drake
- m. Robert Collyns
- C.+ other issue - John (to New England), William, Amy of Ottery St. Mary (d before 16.07.1680)
- 2. Henry Drake of Childhay (d by 03.1640-1)
- m. Anna Crukerne (dau/heir of John Crukerne, widow of Sir Arthur Champernowne)
- 3. Bernard Drake of Wiscomb
- m. (c02.1596-7) Elizabeth Densloe
- 4. Nicholas Drake (d 1640-1, 6th son)
- m. Katherine Tothill (d 18.06.1622, dau/coheir of William Tothill, widow of William Kingsley)
- 5.+ other issue - Robert (d before 15.05.1604, Colonel), John (dsp), Humphry (d c04.1604, dspl but had issue), John (dsp), Gertrude, Ursula, Amy
- ID: I7871
- Name: William DRAKE
- Surname: Drake
- Given Name: William
- Sex: M
- Birth: 1564 in Wiscombe, Devon, England
- Death: DEAD
- _UID: FD1D4D5898C7744A826FD679BD55D2474758
- Change Date: 8 Jul 2004 at 21:45:50
- Marriage 1 Phillippa DENNYS
- 1. Has Children John DRAKE b: ABT 1600 in Wiscombe, Devon, England
The line of ancestry of the Windsor (Conn.) Drakes may be thus summarized:
ROYAL LINE TO DRAKE FAMILY
EDWARD I, King of England. = Eleanor, dau. of Ferdinand
III, King of
Lady Elizabeth Plantagenet. = Humphrey de Bohun, Earl of
Lady Margaret de Bohun, m. in 1325. = Hugh de Courtenay, 2nd Earl
Margaret, dau. of Hugh, Earl of Devon. = Theobald Granville, son of
William Granville, of Stow, in Cornwall, = Philippa, dau. of William
d. about 1450.
Sir Thomas Granville, of Stow, High = Elizabeth, sister of Sir
Sheriff, 21 Edward IV.
Sir Thomas Granville, of Stow, K. B., d. = Isabel, dau. of Sir Otes
Gilbert, of Compton.
6 Henry VIII.
Roger Granville, Esq., of Stowe, Sheriff, = Margaret, dau. and coheir
of Richard Whitley,
Temp. Henry VIII, d. in 1524. of Efford.
Amyre, dau. of Roger Granville, of Stow. = John Drake, Esq., of Ash,
Co. Devon, d.1558.
SEE DRAKE ancestry No. 6, John Drake.
(See Burke's "Royal Families," Vol. II, Pedigree cxxix.)
References: "History of Windsor, Conn.," 1859, page 583.
"Memorial History of Hartford, Conn.," Vol. II, pg. 549.
For Royal Line, See Vol. I, Families Directly Descended from all the Royal Families in Europe.
SUMMARY OF ANCESTRY:
1. JOHN, of Exmouth, Eng., b. 1360; m. Christian, dau. of John Billet; he acquired the estate of Ashe. His widow m. (2) Richard Francheyney.
2. JOHN, m. Christian, dau. of John Antage, and settled at Otterton; founded the Otterton family of Drake, through his son. He was unlawfully excluded from Ashe by his half-brother, Christopher Francheyney
(son of his mother by her second marriage).
3. JOHN, inherited Otterton; m. a Cruwys, of Cruwys, Morchand.
4. JOHN, of Otterton, m. Agnes, dau. of John Killoway.
5. JOHN, settled first at Axmouth, and by a suit-at-law recovered Ashe.
He m. Margaret, dau. of John Dole of Rill.
6. JOHN, inherited Ashe; m. Anne, dau. of Roger Greenville; his son, Bernard, inherited Ashe.
7. ROBERT, settled at Wiscomb, parish of South Leigh, County Devon.
8. WILLIAM, of Wiscomb, County Devon.
9. JOHN, b. at Wiscomb, County Devon, about 1590 or 1600; m. Elizabeth Rogers. He came to Boston about 1639; he d. from the result of an injury, Aug. 17, 1659. His widow d. Oct. 7, 1681, it is stated, "at 100th year of age." If so, she must have been several years older than her husband, or else, which is more probable, he was b. at a considerably earlier date than stated above.
10. JOHN, b. about 1635; m. Hannah, dau. of Thomas Moore. ("Soc. Col. Wars," page 151--John Drake, Jr., 1656-1739, deputy to General Court Assembly of N. J., 1698; King Philip's War, page 450--John Drake credit 02-1400.
11. RUTH, b. Dec. 1, bapt. Dec. 6, 1657; m. Samuel Barber, of Windsor, Jan. 25, 1677; Samuel Barber was bapt. Oct. 1, 1648.
12. RUTH BARBER, b. July 24, 1683; m. (2) Apr. 18, 1706, William Phelps, who was b. Feb. 4, 1668/9.
13. LIEUT. SAMUEL2 PHELPS, b. Apr. 5, 1708; d. Aug. 14/17, 1754; m. 1731, Ruth Phelps, who was b. Jan. 23, 1713.
- FamilySearch AFN: 8Q6C-74
- http://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/dd/drake02.php#top (subscription required to view without interruption)
William Drake, of Southleigh's Timeline
Wiscomb, Devon, England
Somerset, England, United Kingdom
Wiscombe, Devon, England
Wiscomb, Devon, England
Wiscomb or Southleigh, Devon, England
Wiscombe, Devonshire, England, United Kingdom
Wiscomb, Devon, England