About William Graham
SOURCE: Darryl Lundy's Peerage page on William Graham
William Graham, 7th Earl of Menteith 
- M, #29778,
- b. after July 1589,
- d. after 13 April 1661
- Last Edited=19 Aug 2012
- Consanguinity Index=0.2%
William Graham, 7th Earl of Menteith was born after July 1589. He was the son of John Graham, 6th Earl of Menteith and Maria Campbell.
He married Agnes Gray, daughter of Patrick Gray, 6th Lord Gray and Lady Mary Stewart, after 30 March 1612.
He died after 13 April 1661.
- He succeeded to the title of 7th Earl of Menteith [S., 1427] in December 1598.
- He was invested as a Privy Counsellor (P.C.) [Scotland] in 1626/27.
- He held the office of Lord Justice General in 1628.
- He held the office of Extra Lord of Session between 1628 and 1633.
- He held the office of Lord President of the Council [Scotland] between 1628 and 1633.
- On 13 August 1629 he waived his rights to the title of Earl of Strathearn.
- He was invested as a Privy Counsellor (P.C.) in 1630.
- He was created 1st Earl of Airth [Scotland] on 28 March 1633, with precedency of 6 September 1428.
- He held the office of Lord President of the Council [Scotland] between 1639 and 1661.
- On 11 January 1643/44 he was regranted the title of Earl of Menteith with remainder to his heirs male whomsoever.
He has an extensive biographical entry in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Child of William Graham, 7th Earl of Menteith
- Sir James Graham+
Children of William Graham, 7th Earl of Menteith and Agnes Gray
- Lady Mary Graham+ d. 28 Jan 1653
- Lady Margaret Graham+
- John Graham, Lord Graham of Kinpont+ b. c 1613, d. 6 Sep 1644
- [S15] George Edward Cokayne, editor, The Complete Baronetage, 5 volumes (no date (c. 1900); reprint, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 1983), volume III, page 318. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Baronetage.
- [S15] George Edward Cokayne, The Complete Baronetage, volume II, page 283.
- [S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 2, page 1512. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- [S37] Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition, volume 2, page 2752.
- An Historical Account of the Senators of the College of Justice: From Its Institution in MDXXXII; by George Brunton, David Haig; 1832; Page 278
William Graham, 7th Earl of Menteith's Timeline
Strathern, Menteith, Airth, Scotland
U.K., Airth,Menteith, Scotland
April 13, 1661
Airth, Stirlingshire, Scotland