About William Hassam
William Hassam, master mariner, was born 11 August 1752; he died 9 April 1833. His intention to marry Elizabeth, daughter of Ambrose Allen, was published 22 July 1775, but he was seized by a press-gang shortly after and served nearly five years on board a British frigate during the greater part of the revolutionary war. He then succeeded, with a number of others, in making his escape. The banns were published the second time 29 April 1780, and they were married 15 May 1780.
Marriage and Children
- Elizabeth Allen Hassam (died 10 February 1833). Their children, all born in Manchester, were:
- William Hassam (4 May 1781 - 1803), lost at sea.
- Jonathan Hassam (23 May 1784 - 14 January 1859)
- Betsey Hassam (11 October 1786 - 4 October 1859) married Benjamin Leach on 4 November 1810
- Nancy Hassam (10 November 1788 - 5 April 1871) married (1) Jacob Cheever on 26 November 1812; (2) Samuel Cheever on 10 October 1819
- Hassam, John T. The Hassam Family. [The Hilton Family. The Cheever Family]. Boston: [D. Clapp & Son, Printers], 1896. Print and [ttp://books.google.com/books?id=LE8UAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA23-IA16&lpg=PA23-IA16&dq=Nancy+Hassam+1788&source=bl&ots=o6VodjbSmT&sig=Npj9ckL7ZrVlAuK-dHFu2XYlbR0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_QhkUpbKJOKligKGr4GgBw&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q=Nancy%20Hassam%201788&f=false web]
- "Pedigree Resource File," database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/9HKZ-57V : accessed 2013-12-07), entry for Nancy Hassam, submitted by saallen2742753.