About William Asbury Mints
William A. Mintz or Mints' origin is uncertain. His descendants say that he may have been from Germany. His daughter, Eliza (Elizabeth) Ann Mints Bennett, said in the 1890 U.S. Census that her father was from Holland and her mother from England. Her mother was Betsey Shaw, William A. Mints' first wife. His gg granddaughter, Anne Browning Williams Rubenstein Dick, has a close DNA match with a Dutch family, which suggests that he may indeed have been Dutch.
Records of the following marriages:
- William Mints and Betsey Shaw on December 6, 1803 in Cumberland, NJ
- William Mints married Sarah Davis Bennett on March 31, 1825 (per Mary Petticrew, his granddaughter)
- William Mints and Mary Neff on Sept 28, 1848 in Hancock Co., Indiana
There's some confusion in the records about Sarah Caroline Watters / Waters, whether she married William A. Mints in 1837 or his son, William.
Sarah (Sally) Davis (William A. Mints' second wife) was previously married to Timothy Bennett on March 23, 1803, also in Cumberland County, NJ.
In the 1820 U.S. Census he is living in Franklin County, Indiana. According to History of Franklin County, Indiana,
The land entries in this township were, according to the countv and government records, as follows: In 1811. William Helm. Thomas Clark and Stephen Goble. 1814. Nathaniel Henidon. William Ramsey. 1815. Robertson Jones, William Fread.' James Jones. Jr. 1816. Peter Prifogle. the first German in Highland, and among the earliest in the county; Corbly Hudson. In 1817, John Halborstadt, William Mintz, Samuel Price, Levi Fortner, William Knuwls, J. B. Chapman. In 1818, John Stafford, George W. Matthews, Robert Douglass, William Walker, Bradbury Cottrell, Joseph McCart'erty, Phineas Johnson. In 1819. Joshua L. Sparks, Edward Blackburn, Jonathan Moore..."
In 1820 William Mints was living with a total of nine (9) people in his household: a man over 45, a woman over 45, 2 boys under 10, 1 boy between 10 and 15, 2 girls between 10 and 15 and 2 girls between 16 and 25. That would mean he had SEVEN children:
- 2 girls born before 1804 ???? and ????
- 2 girls born between 1805 and 1810 Eliza Ann Mints and ????
- 2 boys born after 1810 John D. Mints and William S. Mints
- 1 boy born between 1805 and 1810. Philip A. Mints
On 10 Aug 1837 William Mints was granted 320 acres of land in Meridien 2nd PM in the state of Indiana in Hancock County in Township 16-N Range 6-E Section 21.
The children of William Mints and Betsy Shaw were:
- Philip Asbury, born 1809 in New Jersey. Wife: Martha Davis, born New York. THIS NEEDS TO BE VERIFIED. He was granted land in Hancock County around the same time as William A. Mints.
- Eliza Ann, born New Jersey 1811. Married Timothy Bennett in 1830 in Franklin County, IN. She was living as an "aunt" with Martha Ann Mints Petticrew's daughters in St. Louis in 1880.
- William S., born 1813 in New Jersey (1850 Census). Wife: Elizabeth
- John D., born 1818 or perhaps 1820 in Indiana (1850 Census). Wife: Rebecca Jane Shelby, daughter of Joseph Shelby and Mary Elizabeth Forsyth Williams (known as Elizabeth?).
The children of William Mints and Sarah Davis, widow of Timothy Bennett were:
- Martha Ann, born Dec 22, 1829. Martha Ann Mints became the wife of Algernon Sidney Petticrew of Xenia, Greene, Ohio and later of St. Louis, Missouri. She was born Dec 22, 1829.
- (possibly) John Thompson, who died young. THIS NEEDS TO BE VERIFIED. We believe that there were two children of this marriage.
Sarah Davis had at least one child with Timothy Bennett previous to marrying William Mints:
- Sarah Davis Bennett Conover, wife of Peter Conover of Franklin, Warren, Ohio. The Conovers were an old Cumberland County, NJ family who founded The New Jersey Settlement in the Miami Valley of Ohio.
Record of "Mints" in Cumberland County:
- Old Farm Landing: In Fairfield Twp on the south side of Cohansey 1787. Deed Dixon to Mints (A 219) from Notes on Cumberland County Place Names by Lots of People
Record of William Mintz's first Marriage:
- Name: William Mintz
- Spouse: Betsey Shaw
- Marriage Date: 6 Dec 1803
- County: Cumberland
- State: NJ
1820 Whitewater, Franklin County, Indiania US Census
- Name: William Mints
- Home in 1820 (City, County, State): Whitewater, Franklin, Indiana
- Enumeration Date: August 7, 1820
- Free White Persons - Males - Under 10: 2
- Free White Persons - Males - 10 thru 15: 1
- Free White Persons - Males - 45 and over: 1
- Free White Persons - Females - 10 thru 15: 2
- Free White Persons - Females - 16 thru 25: 2
- Free White Persons - Females - 45 and over : 1
- Number of Persons - Engaged in Commerce: 1
- Free White Persons - Under 16: 5
- Free White Persons - Over 25: 2
- Total Free White Persons: 9
- Total All Persons - White, Slaves, Colored, Other: 9
William Asbury Mints's Timeline
Fairfield, Cumberland, New Jersey, USA
December 6, 1803
Cumberland, NJ, USA
Cumberland County, NJ, USA
August 13, 1813
Fairfield, Cumberland County, NJ, USA
July 5, 1820
Whitewater, Franklin, Indiana, United States
March 31, 1825
December 10, 1826
Ohio, United States
December 22, 1829
Indiana, United States
September 28, 1848
Hancock, IN, USA