view all 21
About William Morgan, Jr.
- William Morgan1
- M, #471613, d. 7 September 1670
- Last Edited=10 Jun 2011
- William Morgan was the son of Sir William Morgan and Elizabeth Wintour.1 He married Jane Morgan.1 He died on 7 September 1670.1
- He lived at Tumney.1
- 1.[S21] L. G. Pine, The New Extinct Peerage 1884-1971: Containing Extinct, Abeyant, Dormant and Suspended Peerages With Genealogies and Arms (London, U.K.: Heraldry Today, 1972), page 271. Hereinafter cited as The New Extinct Peerage.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p47162.htm#i471613
- William MORGAN (Sir)
- Born: 1561
- Died: 1653
- Father: Thomas MORGAN (Sir Knight)
- Mother: Elizabeth BODENHAM
- Married 1: Elizabeth WINTER (dau. of Sir William Winter and Maria Lanston) ABT 1583
- 1. Elizabeth MORGAN
- 2. Blanche MORGAN
- 3. Thomas MORGAN
- 4. Edward MORGAN
- 5. William MORGAN
- 6. Rowland MORGAN
- 7. Frances MORGAN
- Married 2: Henrietta STUART (b. AFT 1565) ABT 1595
- 8. John MORGAN (b. ABT 1597 - d. 1651) (m. Rebecca Smith)
- 9. Evan MORGAN (b. 1601)
- Married 3: Bridget MORGAN (b. 1587 - d. 1653) (dau. of Anthony Morgan) 1617, Heyford, Northampton, England
- 10. Anthony MORGAN (Sir) (b. 1617 - d. 1665) (m. Elizabeth Fromond)
- 11. Mary MORGAN (b. 1619)
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/MORGAN.htm#William MORGAN (Sir)2
- A genealogical and heraldic dictionary of the peerage and baronetage of the British Empire (1869)
- LLEWELLYN AP IVOR, lineally descended from Cadivor Vawr, Lord of Kilsaint, m. Angharad, dau. and co-heir fo Sir Morgan Meredith, Lord of Tredegar (descended from Rhys, Prince of South Wales), and thus acquired the Tredegar estates. Llewellin was father of three sons, viz,
- MORGAN, his heir.
- Ivor, of Werncleppa, or Gwerney Cleppa, near Tredegar, ancestor of the MORGANS of Werncleppa, whose last male heir, Roger Morgan, Esq., d. in 1632, when his estate passed to the Tredegar family.
- Philip, whose son, DAVID AP PHILIP AP LLEWELLIN, seated at St. Pierrer, in the county of Monmouth, was ancestor of the family of LEWIS of St. Pierre. (See BURKE'S Landed Gentry.)
- The eldest son,
- MORGAN AP LLEWELLIN, Lord of St. Clere, in Carmarthenshire, and of Tredegar, co. Monmouth, m. Maud, dau. of Rhys ap Gronwy, Lord of Kybor, and had two sons,
- LLEWELLYN, his heir.
- Philip, who acquired the estate of Langston, co. Monmouth, in marriage with Gwenllian, 3rd dau. and co-heir of Sir John Norris, Knt. of Penllyne Castle, Glamorganshire, and was ancestor of the MORGANS of Llantarnam, (raised to the degree of a Baronet, in 1642,) now represented by the family of BLEWITT,* and the MORGANS of Tredunnock, whose heir is MRS. JANE HAWKINS, of The Garn. (See BURKE'S Extinct Baronetage.)
- The elder son,
- LLEWELLIN AP MORGAN, Lord of St. Clere and Tredegar, was grandfather of SIR JOHN MORGAN, Knt. of St. Clere and Tredegar, whose grandson,
- ROWLAND MORGAN, Esq. of Machen, living in 1570, m. Blanch, dau. of John Thomas, of Treowen, co. Monmouth, and had two sons,
- THOMAS, his heir.
- Harry, of Llanrumney, ancestor of the MORGANS of that place, now represented by LIEUT-COLONEL WILLIAM PEARCE, K.H., of Ffrwdgrech, co Brecon, and Staventon House, co Gloucester. (See BURKE'S Landed Gentry, Supplement.)
- The eldest son,
- THOMAS MORGAN, Esq. of Machen and Tredegar, m. Elizabeth, dau. of Roger Bodenham, Esq. of Rotherwas, co. Hereford, and was father of
- SIR WILLIAM MORGAN, Knt. of Tredegar, whose will bears date 15 Jan. 1650, and was proved in 1653. Sir William m. 1st, Elizabeth, dau. of Sir William Wintour, of Lidney, co Gloucester, and 2ndly, Bridget, dau. of Anthony Morgan, of Heyford, Northamptonshire. By his 1st wife, Sir William had three sons,
- THOMAS, his successor.
- Edward, of Citligin and Caed-Morgan, co. Monmouth, who left by his wife, Elizabeth, a dau. and heir, who was m. to Henry Chambre, Esq.
- William, who m. Jane, dau. of -- Morgan, of Hurst, co. Glamorgan, and had a son, Richard Morgan, Esq., who m. Eleanor, dau. and co-heir of Henry Probert, of the Argoed and Pantglas, Monmouthshire, and had a son, Richard Morgan, Esq., who m. Miss Abigail Phelps, and whose son, William Morgan, assumed the surname of Clifford, pursuant to the will of his cousin, Thomas Clifford, Esq., and became William Morgan Clifford, Esq. This Mr. Morgan Clifford m. Eliza-Maria, eldest dau. of Richard Lewis, Esq. of Lantillo, Monmouthshire, and had a son, Morgan, who m. Sophia, second dau. of the late Jonathan Willington, Esq. of Rapla, co. Tipperary,
- * FRANCES, dau. and co-heir of SIR EDWARD MORGAN, Bart. of Llantarnam, m. Edmund Bray, Esq., and was mother of MARY BRAY, who m. John Blewitt. Esq. of London, and was great- grandmother of REGINALD - JAMES BLEWITT, Esq. of Llantarnam Abbey, late M.P. for the Monmouthshire boroughs.
- and by her had a son, HENRY MORGAN-CLIFFORD, Esq., now of Perristone, co. Hereford, and Llantillo, co. Monmouth, M.P., and col. of the Monmouthshire militia who is the present male representative of the House of Tredegar. Col. Morgan Clifford was b. in 1806, and m. 12 Aug. 1834, Catherine-Harriet, only dau. of Joseph Yorke, Esq. of Forthhampton Court, co. Gloucester (eldest son of James, Bishop of Ely, and grandson of Lord Chancellor Hardwicke), by Catherine, his wife, eldest dau. of James Cocks, Esq., and niece to Charles, 1st Lord Somers, and has had issue, Henry Somers Morgan, b. in 1836, deceased, and Marian, m. 12 June, 1860, to the Hon. James Fitzwalter Clifford-Butler, eldest son of Lord Dunbeyne (see that title ante).
- Sir Wiliam Morgan was s. by his eldest son,
- THOMAS MORGAN, Esq. of Machen and Tredegar, who m. 1st, Rachel, relict of David Kemeys, Esq., of Cefu Mabley, and dau. of Robert Hopton (younger son of Robert Hopton, Esq., of Witham, co, Seomerset, by his wife Janet dau. and co-heir of Rowland Kemeys, Esq. of the Vaindre, co Monmouth), and sister and co-heir of Ralph, Lord Hopton, of Strattern, by whom he had an only child, Elizabeth, heiress of her mother, and wife of Sir Trever Williams, Bart., which Elizabeth had issue, now represented by William-Adams Williams, Esq. of Llonjiby Castle. Mr Thomas morgan, m. 2ndly, Elizabeth, dau and heir of Francis Windham, Esq. of Sandhill, co Somerset, and by her (who d. 1666), had two sons, WILLIAM his heir and John of Ruperra, who d. 1715. Mr. Thomas Morgan, d. 13 May, 1664, and was s. by his elder son, ....
- A history of the family of Morgan, from the year 1089 to present times ([1902?])
- VIII. LLEWELYN ap IVOR of Tredegar, Lord of St Clear, married Angharad, daughter of Sir Morgan ap Meredith, from the Welsh Lords of Caerleon, ap Griffith ap Meredith ap Rhys, who bore "Argent a lion rampant sable." Sir Morgan died 1332, when Angharad was aged 32. They had : 1. Morgan. 2. Ivor Hael, whence MORGAN OF GWERN-Y-CLEPPA. 3. Philip, whence LEWIS OF ST. PIERRE.
- IX. MORGAN of Tredegar and St. Clear, married Maud, daugter of Rhun ap Grono ap Llwarch, Lord of Cibwr. He died before 1384. Issue: 1. Llewelyn. 2. Philip, whence MORGAN OF LANGSTONE. 3. John, father of Gwenllian, married David Goch ap David, 4. Christian, married Jevan ap Jenkin Kemeys. 5. Ann, married David Gwilim David of Rhiwperra. 6. Margaret, married Traherne ap Meyric of Merthyr. 7. A daughter, married Thomas ap Gwillim of Carnllwyd. 8. Elenor, married Grono ap Howel Bennet.
- X. LLEWELYN ap MORGAN of Tredegar and St. Clear, living 1387, married Jenet daughter and heir of David-vychan ap David of Rhydodyn, 1384-87. Issue: 1. Jevan. 2. Christy, married Madoc ap Jevan of Gelligaer. 3. —— , married Roger ap Adam of St. Mellon's. 4. —— , married Madoc of Bassalleg. 5. —— , married Thomas Llewelyn. 6. Ann, married John ap Jenkin. 7. —— , married —— of Raglan. 8. —— , married —— of Builth.
- XI. JEVAN MORGAN, 1415-48, married Denise, or Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas ap Llewelyn-vychan of Lllangattog-on-Usk. Issue: 1. John. 2. David, 1442-48. 3. Jenkyn, 1454.
- XII. SIR JOHN MORGAN, Knight of the Sepulchre, 1448, steward of Gwentlloog ; married Jenet, daughter and co-heir of John ap David Mathew of Llandaff. Issue: 1. Morgan. 2. Thomas, whence MORGAN OF MACHEN AND TREDEGAR. 3. John, whence a BRANCH. 4. Lewis, 1491. 5. William Morgan, coroner, 1501, father or John of Newport, died 1541, father of William, 1541-1559. 6. Philip, 1491. 7. Elizabeth, married John Fiennes,
- Lord Clinton and Say. 8. Jane, married William David Powel. 9. Mary, married Thomas Llewelyn-vychan of Rhiwperra. 10. Isabella, married James Kemeys of Began, ob. 1591.
- XIII. SIR MORGAN JOHN, knighted 22 June, 1497. after Blackheath ; died in 1504; married Margaret, daughter of Sir Thomas Morgan of Pencoyd. Issue : 1. John. 2. Margaret.
- XIV. JOHN MORGAN ; will dated 4 April, 1513 ; died about 1513 ; married Lettice, daughter of Sir George Herbert of St. Julian's. Issue : 1. William, M. P. for county 1556-57, sheriff 1565 ; will dated 8 August, 1568 ; died 1569, s. p.; married Catherine, daughter of Thomas Bodenham. 2. John. 3. Joan, married Miles Mathew of Llandaff. By Felice, daughter of Thomas Richards : 4. John. 5. Nest, married John Henry Kemeys of Newport.
- XV. JOHN MORGAN of Newport, 1545. married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Edward Stradling. Issue: 1. Miles. 2. Elenor, married William Morgan.
- XVI. MILES MORGAN, sheriff 1574 ; will dated June. 1578 ; proved 1581, s. p.; married Catherine, daughter of Rowland Morgan of Machen, in 1571 ; widow of Thomas Mathew. She afterwards married Henry Jones of the Inner Temple. Miles was lost in America under Sir Humphrey Gilbert. His heir was his brother-in-law, Morgan of Machen.
- MORGAN OF MACHEN AND TREDEGAR.
- XIII. THOMAS, second son of Sir John Morgan, was of Machen; esquire of the body to Henry VII.; living 1538; married Elizabeth, daughter of Roger Vaughan of Porthaml. Issue: 1. Rowland. 2. Reynold, whence MORGAN OF LLANVEDW. 3. John, whence MORGAN OF BASSALLEG. 4. Edmond, whence MORGAN OF PENLLWYN-SARTH. 5. Margaret, married 1st John Kemeys, 2d William Edmunds. 6. Barbara, married Sir Henry Seymour. 7. Maud, married John ap Rosser. 8, Jane, married 1st William Gunter, 2d Richard ap Jenkin, 3d William Vaughan of Magor. 9. Constance, married William
- Jones of Treowen. 10. Mary, married 1st Edward Williams, 2d Richard Herbert. 11. Elizabeth, married Edward James.
- XIV. ROWLAND MORGAN of Machen, 1517-77, married Blanch, daughter of John Thomas of Llanarth. Settlement 11 Nov. 1517; sheriff 1557. Issue: 1. Thomas, 2. Henry, whence MORGAN OF ST. MELLON'S. 3. Catherine, married 1st Thomas Mathew, 2d Miles Morgan, 3d Henry Jones. 4. Ann, married Philip Morgan of Gwern-y-Cieppa. 5. Mary, married Thomas Lewis of Rhiwperra. 6. Elizabeth, married Edward Kemeys of Cefn Mably.
- XV. THOMAS MORGAN of Machen and Tredegar, and of the , Middle Temple, 1567-77; sheriff 1581 ; M. P. for county 1589; will 1603; married Elizabeth, daughter of Roger Bodenham. Issue: 1. Sir William. 2. Edward, 1586, married Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Thomas of Bertholley. 3. Sir John, died before 1610, married Florence, daughter and eventual heir of William Morgan of the Friars. They had William of the Friars, 1663, mayor of Newport, 1667, father of Lewis Morgan, died about 1690, father of Lewis, died 1729, who sold the Friars. He was father of: (a) Blanch, married Richard Greensward ; (b) Catherine, married Anthony Williams. 4. David Morgan, whence a BRANCH. 5. Blanch, married Edward Lewis of Van ; settlement 1585. 6. Catherine, married William Herbert of Coldbrook. 7. Elizabeth, married William Jones of Abergavenny. 8. Jane, married Rowland Morgan of Bassalleg. 9. Elizabeth, married William Blethyn of Dynham. 10. Ann. 11. Margaret, married Henry Williams of Mathern.
- XVI. SIR WILLIAM MORGAN of Tredegar, knighted 1633; M. P. for county 1623-25; will 1650, proved 1653; sheriff 1612; aet 93 at death ; he received Charles I. at Tredegar, 16 and 17 July, 1645 ; married 1st Elizabeth, daughter of Sir William Winter of Lidney, 2d Bridget, daughter of Anthony Morgan of Heyford, county Northampton, widow of Anthony Morgan of Llanvihangel Crucorney. Issue by first wife: 1. Thomas. 2. Edward of Kilfengan ; will 4 April 1660, proved Feb. 1661 ; married Elizabeth, daughter and heir of Charles James of Llandewi Rhydderch, had Elizabeth, daughter and
- heir, married Henry Chambre of Court Morgan. 3. William, whence MORGAN OF RHYMNY. 4. Rowland of Risca; will 19 Dec. 1660, proved Feb. 1661 ; married Honora --- , and had Colonel William Morgan; buried at Bassalleg, 27 Oct. 1679. 5. John, of the Temple in 1652 ; coel. 6. Mary, married George Lewis of St. Pierre. 7. Blanch, married John Carne of Ewenny. 8. Frances, married Charles Williams of Llangibby. 9. Mary, single; will 1687, 10. Elizabeth, married William Morgan of Dderw ; she died 1638, he died 1649. By Sir William's second wife : 11. Anthony of Kilfengan, s. p. His widow was alive in 1673. 12. Mary, married Peter Farmer of London, who died 1691. They had Margaret, daughter and heir, married John More, who sold Kilfengan 1707.
- XVII. THOMAS MORGAN, sheriff 1661; died 18 Oct. 1666 [13 May 1664], aet. 76; married 1st Rachel, daughter of Robert Hopton and widow of David Kemeys, 2d Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Windham of Sandhills. Issue by 1st wife: 1. Elizabeth, married Sir Trevor Williams of LIangibby; settlement 20 Oct. 1640 ; she died 1674. By the second wife. 2. William. 3. Thomas, 1659. 4. John, died young. 5. John of London, merchant; sheriff 1697; M. P. for county 1701 ; died 1 Jan., buried at Machen 9 Jan. 1715, s. p. 6. Edward, s. p. 7. Trevor, 1680, s. p. 8. Lewis of Penylan, sheriff 1703, died 1706, s. p.; married Mary, daughter of — Edwards and heir of, her brother Thomas Edwards. 9. Frances, married 1st William Lewis of Llandewi-Rhydderch, 2d Sir Edward Morgan of Llantarnam. 10. Blanch, married Charles Van, 1650. 11. Ann, married Henry Morgan of Penllwyn-Sarth. 12. Elizabeth, married Thomas Morgan of Llanrhymny. 13. Rachel, married Henry Probert. 14. Mary, married William Thomas, of Llanbradach, 19 Nov. 1668. 15. Catherine, died 29 July 1724, aet. 73, s. p.
- MORGAN OF RHYMNY.
- XVII. 3. WILLIAM MORGAN of Rhymny, third son of Sir William of Tredegar, died before 1660 ; married Jane, daughter and heir of — Morgan of Hurst, county Gloucester. Issue: 1. William of Hurst, 1673. 2. Richard.
- XVIII. RICHARD MORGAN of Hurst, died 1716 ; married Elenor, daughter and co-heir of Henry Probert of the Argoed. She died about 1758. Issue: 1. Probert, died s. p. before 1779; married Mary Catherine, daughter of — Lewis, of Ealing. 2. Richard. 3. Thomas, s. p. 4. Elenor, died before 1779 ; married Andrew Lewis. 5. Magdalen, s. p.
- Sir William Morgan of Tredegar (d before 13.09.1653
- m1. (1598) Elizabeth Wintour (dau of Sir William Wintour of Lidney)
- 1. Thomas Morgan of Machen and Tredegar (d 13.05.1664)
- m1. (1621) Rachel Hopton (dau of Robert Hopton, sister of Lord Ralph)
- A. .... etc.
- 2. Edward Morgan of Kilfiggin and Coyd Morgan
- m. Elizabeth
- A. daughter .... etc.
- 3. William Morgan of Rumney ancestor of family of Morgan-Clifford
- m. Jane Morgan (dau of _ Morgan of Hurst)
- 4. Mary Morgan
- m. George Lewis
- 5. Blanche Morgan
- m. John Carne of Ewenny
- 6. Elizabeth Morgan (bur 28.06.1638)
- m. (1633) William Morgan of Dderrow or Thirrow
- A. Blanche .... etc.
- 7.+ other issue (d unm) - Rowland of Risca, John, Frances, Mary
- m2. Bridget Morgan (d before 1627, dau of Anthony Morgan of Hayford)
- 11. Anthony Morgan (a 1627)
- 12. Mary Morgan
- m. Peter Farmer of London (d 12.1691)
- Main source(s): BP1934 (Tredegar)
- From: Stirnet.com
view all 15
William Morgan, Jr.'s Timeline
Llandaff, Glamorgan, Wales
Cardiff, Glamorganshire, Wales
March 20, 1939
March 20, 1939
June 29, 1939
June 29, 1939
January 8, 1946
January 8, 1946