Historical records matching William Thomson, 1st Baron Kelvin, OM, GCVO
About William Thomson
Thomson, Baron Kelvin, William. 26/06/1824-17/12/1907. Ref: 1023. Male.
- Titles and British Honours: Baron Kelvin of Largs (1892), OM(1902), PC(1902), KCVO(1866).
- Place of Birth: College Square East, Belfast, Ireland.
- Place of Death: Largs, Ayrshire.
- Place of interment: Westminster Abbey.
- Profession: Physicist, Mathematician.
- Appointments Held: Professor 1846-99, Natural Philosophy, Glasgow University; Founder, Kelvin & White Ltd. Glasgow for manufacture of his inventions; Chancellor 1904, Glasgow University.
- Undergraduate Studies: Glasgow University, BA (Cantab 1845).
- Publications: With P G Tait, "Treatise on Natural Philosophy" 1867 & 1874.
- Marital Status: Married 1st(1852) Margaret Crum d 1870 2nd (1874) Frances Anna Blandy.
- Mother: Margaret Gardiner.
- Father: James Thomson (1780-1849) Professor, Mathematics, Royal Academical Institution, Belfast.
- Siblings: James Thomson, FRSE 1822-92.
- Other Family: father-in-law of James Thomson Bottomley, FRSE 1845-1926.
- References: DNB, 2nd Supplement, 3, 1912, 508-17; Proc Roy Soc, 81, iii-lxxvi, signed JL (Portraits); Williams 511; Who Was Who 1; A Boyle, Scotland's Cultural Heritage 5, 1984.
- Memberships: FRS (1851, President 1890-5), Society of Telegraph Engineers (President 1874), Academie des Sciences (Foreign Associate 1847).
- Date of Election: 01/02/1847.
- Proposers: James David Forbes, 26/11/1846, (ms Proposal NLS Acc 10,000/46).(Billet 4/1/1847, 18/1/,1847).
- Service to the RSE: Councillor 1851-4, Vice-President 1868-73, President 1873-8, 1886-90, 1895-1907.
- RSE Prizes and Medals: Keith Prize 1861-3, Gunning Victoria Jubilee Prize, 1884-7.
- Fellow Type: OF.
SOURCE: Waterston, Charles D; Macmillan Shearer, A (July 2006). Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002: Biographical Index. II. Edinburgh: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. ISBN 978-0-902198-84-5. page 932