William's Top Matches
About William Wishart, Min. of Tron Parish, Edinburgh
"William Wishart (secundus), son of William W., min. in 1707 ; educated at Univ. of Edinburgh; min. of the Scots Church, Founder's Hall, London; elected Principal of the Univ. of Edinburgh 1737, receiving at the same time a call to be min. of New Greyfriars ; trans, and adm. 20th June 1745. He supported the measures of the popular party in the Church, and dissented 15th May 1751, from a resolution of the General Assembly, censuring the Presb. of Linlithgow for not proceeding in the settlement of Torphichen as appointed by the preceding Assembly. He died 12th May 1753. He marr.
(1) 1st Dec. 1724, Margaret (died 27th Feb. 1746), daugh. of Thomas Halyburton, Professor of Divinity, St Andrews, and had issue—
- William Thomas of Foxhall, died 3rd Dec. 1799
- a son, died Jan. 1739
- Ann, died in 1819, aged 82
- Janet (marr. Mr Maxwell, merchant, Dundee)
- Margaret (marr. 27th Oct. 1766, James Macdowall, merchant, Edinburgh)
- Cordelia (marr. 6th Jan. 1724, John Moncrieff of Rumgay, M.D.)
(2) 17th March 1747, Frances, daugh. of James Deans of Woodhouselee. His widow marr. in 1754, John Scott of Stewartfield, and subsequently John Strother Ker of Littledean."
SOURCE: Fasti ecclesiae scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the reformation, Vol. I, page 140