Winifred Bond (Leigh)
|Birthplace:||Stoneleigh, Warwickshire, England, (Present UK)|
|Death:||Died in Kings Walden, Hertfordshire, England, (Present UK)|
Daughter of Sir Thomas Leigh, Lord Mayor of London and Alice Leigh
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Winifred Bond (Leigh)
About Winifred Bond (Leigh)
- 'A general and heraldic dictionary of the peerages of England, Ireland, and ... By John Burke
- A general and heraldic dictionary of the peerages of England, Ireland, and ... By John Burke
- Pg. 310
- ROGER LEIGH, of Wellington, in Shropshire and Rushall, in the county of Stafford. This gentleman had issue, . . . .
- And a younger son,
- THOMAS LEIGH, who was brought up under Sir Rowland Hill, a rich merchant of London, and Lord Mayor of that city; by whom, for his knowledge and industry, he was made his factor beyond sea; and in that trust deporting himself with the highest integrity, Sir Rowland bestowed upon him the hand of his favourite niece, Alice, daughter of John Barker, alias Coverall, of Wolverton, in the county of Salop, by Elizabeth, his wife, daughter of Thomas Hill, and upon the issue of the marriage he entailed the greater part of his estate. Thomas Leigh subsequently served the office of Sheriff of London, and was Lord Mayor at the death of Queen Mary. He was knighted during his mayoralty, and dying in 1571, was buried in Mercer's Chapel, London, with this epitaph upon is tomb: . . . .
- His widow lived at Stoneleigh to a very advanced age, having seen her chiildren's children to the fourth generation. She died in 1603, and was buried at Stoneleigh, where she had founded an hospital for five poor men, and five poor women, all of them to be unmarried persons, and nominated after her decease by Sir Thomas Leigh, her son, and his heirs for ever. Sir Thomas Leigh had issue by this lady,
- ROWLAND, who was largely provided for at Longborough, in Gloucestershire, by Sir Rowland Hill, his godfather. He m. first Margery, daughter of Thomas Lawe, of London, vintner, and secondly, __, daughter of Sir Richard Berkeley, Knt., of Stoke-Gifford, in Gloucestershire.
- Richard, died s. p.
- THOMAS, of whom presently.
- William (Sir), of Newnham-Regis, in Warwickshire, who m. Frances, daughter of Sir James Harrington, of Exton, in Rutlandshire, and left a son, . . . .
- Mary, m. first, to Robert Andrews, of London and secondly, to __ Cobb.
- Alice, m. to Thomas Connye, of Lincolnshire.
- Katherine, m. Edward Barber, of Somersetshire, Serjeant at Law.
- ' Winifred, m. Sir George Bond, Lord Mayor of London.
- The second surviving son,
- THOMAS LEIGH, was knighted by Queen Elizabeth, and created a baronet, upon the institution of that order, 29th June, 1611. Sir Thomas m. Catherine, fourth daughter of Sir John Spencer, Knt., of Wormleighton, in the county of Warwick, and had issue,
- 'The Visitation of the county of Warwick in the year 1619. Taken by William Camden, Clarenceaux king of arms (1877)
- Rich. Leigh of Walington in Com. Salop yonger son of John Leigh of Ridg 2 sone to Sr Peirs Leigh of ye Lime in Chesh.
- Roger Leighe of Walington.
- Will'm Leighe of Walington. m. Dau. of Trafford.
- children of Will'm Leighe of Walington & Dau. of Trafford
- 1. Will'm Leigh Usher to K. H. 8. m. Elizb. d. & hey. or Sr John Harper of Rushell Kt. 2. Sr Tho. Leigh Kt. Maior of London ye 1 of Quene Elizb. m. Alice Da. of John Barker Al's Couerall of Camo' in Shropsh. 3. Roger Leigh Usher to Qu. Mary ob. s.p.
- children of Sr Tho. Leigh Kt. & Alice Barker
- 1. Raph 2 sonne ob. s. p. 2. Kath. ux. Edward Barber Sergiant at Lawe. '3. Winifred ux. Georg Bond of London'. 4. Sr Tho. Leigh of Stnley in Com. Warw. Kt. & Baronet 3 sonne. m. Kath. Da. of Sr John Spencer of Wol'uton. 5. Alice ux. Tho. Conney of Leicestsh. 6. Mary 1 mar. to Nicho. Cobb. 2 to Ric. Andrewes. 7. Sr Wm Leigh of Kings Newnam in Com. War. Kt. m. Fran. Da. of Sr James Harington of Exton Kt. 8. Sr Rowland Leigh Kt. 1 sonne. m1. Margery Da. of Tho. Lowe of London. m2. Da. of Sr Rich. Barkeley, Kt.
- Roger Leighe of Walington.
ACCORDING TO OTHER SOURCES THE SON THOMAS MARRIED CATHERINE SPENCER AND HAD ALICE WIFE OF ROBERT DUDLEY, THE THOMAS WHO DIED 1671 HUSBAND OF MARY EGERTON WAS THE SON OF SIR JOHN LEIGH & URSULA HODDESDON, THEY DID NOT HAVE A DAU. ALICE, THERE MAY BE OTHER ERRORS.
- 'Dictionary of national biography, Volume 32 edited by Sir Leslie Stephen, Sir Sidney Lee
- Dictionary of national biography, Volume 32 edited by Sir Leslie Stephen, Sir Sidney Lee
- Pg. 437
- LEIGH or LEE, SIR THOMAS (1504?-1571), lord mayor of London, son of Roger Leigh of Wellington in Shropshire, was born about 1504 or 1505. He was descended from an ancient family settled before the conquest at High Leigh in Cheshire. Leigh was apprenticed to Sir Thomas Seymer . . .
- Pg. 438
- After his marriage in 1536 Leigh began to turn his attention to . . .
- . . . He died on 17 Nov 1571, and was buried in Mercers' Chapel under a handsome monument erected by his widow, which . . .
- Leigh married, shortly before 13 March 1536 (State Papers, Henry VIII, viii. 14, x.192), Alice Barker, alias Coverdale, of Wolverton, who seems to have resided at Calais, and was niece of Alderman Sir Rowland Hill [q. v.], whose fortune, including the manor of King's Newnham, she inherited. She survived her husband, and lived to a great age, having seen her children's children to the fourth generation. She died in 1603 (BURKE, Peerage, 54th edit. p.832). . .
- Rowland, his eldest son, was the ancestor of the present Baron Leigh of Stoneleigh (creation of 1839), and others of his descendants married into the families of Lord Chandos of Sudeley, the Duke of Chandos, Lord Saye and Sele, &c. . . .
- His second son, Sir Thomas Leigh (d.1671), was created, 1 July 1643, by Charles I Baron Leigh of Stoneleigh, Warwickshire; . . . He married Mary, daughter of Sir Thomas Egerton; one of their children, Alice, became Duchess Dudley . . . The barony of Leigh of the first creation became extinct on the death of Edward, fifth lord Leigh, in 1786.
- Francis Leigh [q. v.], grandson of his third son, Sir William Leigh, became Earl of Chichester, and among his descendants was the great Earl of Chatham.
- ' Leigh's youngest daughter, Winifred, married William Hale, whose son married a daughter of Sir Henry Garraway [q.v.] From the issue of this marriage were descended Viscount Melbourne, Viscountess Palmerston, and Earl Cowper, and, in another line, the great Duke of Marlborough, the Duke of Leeds, and the Duke of Berwick (ib.p.184).
Winifred Bond (Leigh)'s Timeline
Stoneleigh, Warwickshire, England, (Present UK)
Probably London, Middlesex, England, (Present UK)
Watton-at-Stone, Hertfordshire, England
Bridgewater, Somerset, , England
Of Ogbourne, St. George, Wiltshire, England
Lancaster, Lancashire, , England
Standish, Gloucestershire, , England
Buckland, Somerset, , England
Yart, Near Taunton, Somerset, England
Buckland, Somerset, England, (Present UK)