About Zaccheus Q Gould
- 'The family of Zaccheus Gould of Topsfield By Benjamin Apthorp Gould
- ' During the past summer the family name of Phebe, the wife of Zaccheus Gould, was unexpectedly discovered, and consequently the error of the surmise regarding the "Grandfather Deacon," alluded to by the second John Gould, as mentioned on p. 26 of this volume. Phebe was a daughter of Thomas and Martha Deacon of the Corner Hall in Hemel Hempstead. A slab in the floor of the vaulted chamber of the church of that parish, marks the burial place of her unmarried brother, Thomas, Bachelor of Arts, whom it commemorates by a curious inscription.
- 38. RICHARD4 GOLD, of Bovingdon and Stoke Mandeville* (Bucks), son of Thomas and Alice, born about 1530. Wife Jane, widow of ____ Weeden.
- In his will, dated Stoke Mandeville 1558 Dec. 4, and proved Oct. 10, he desires to be buried at Bovingdon, mentions wife Jane, sons Henry and Richard, daughters Alice and Jane Weeden. Witnessed by Thomas Gold and others. The will is somewhat decayed, and a portion of it is destroyed.
- Children :
- 48. HENRY, of Chalfont St. Peter, d. 1605; wife Alice
- 49. RICHARD
- The will of his widow Jane, dated Stoke Mandeville 1559 June 26 and proved 1560 March 29, makes bequests to her son William and three daughter's, not named. She was probably a second wife of Richard, and not the mother of his children.
- 49. RICHARD5 GOULD, born about 1553, son of Richard of Stoke Mandeville, is recorded as of Bovingdon, in the parish register of Chesham, co. Bucks, in 1604 ; there deceased.
- Children :
- 60. RICHARD, b. about 1578, d. 1629, married Mary
- 61. JEREMY, " 1581, d. 1654?, married 1604 Priscilla Grover
- 62. JOHN, b. about 1584, d. 1650, married Judith
- ' 63. ZACCHEUS, b. 1589, d. 1668, married Phebe
- ' 63. ZACCHEUS6 GOULD, of Hemel Hempstead and later of Great Missenden, co. Bucks, where he was assessed in 1629. Born 1589 according to his own deposition; died 1668. Wife Phebe died at Topsfield 1663. His baptism probably recorded in the lost registers of Bovingdon.
- Children :
- 101. PHEBE, bapt. at Hemel Hempstead 1620 Sept. 27
- 102. MARY, " " " " 1621 Dec. 19
- 103. MARTHA," " " 1623 June 15
- 104. PRISCILLA, probably born at Great Missenden
- 105. JOHN, b. 1635 June 21, probably at Great Missenden
- 'The ancestry and posterity of Zaccheus Gould of Topsfield. A condensed abstract of the family records (1872)
- RICHARD GOULD, of Stoke Mandeville, who was born as early as 1530, and married (perhaps as his second wife), Jane, widow of Weden. By her he had two sons, Richard and Henry.
- RICHARD GOULD, of Bovingdon, born about 1553, was the elder of these sons, and his descendants appear to have been prominent among the early settlers of New England. He was father of
- 1. Jeremy, who married Priscilla Grover, came to Rhode Island, and after his wife's death returned to England, leaving behind him three sons, the eldest of whom, Daniel, married in 1651 Wait CoggesJiall, and became the ancestor of the large and highly respectable family of Goulds of Rhode Island.
- 2. John, of the " Corner Hall," in Hemel Hempsted, and of King's Langley, — possibly also himself a colonist of New England. His youngest son, Zaccheus, died in New England unmarried, and letters of administration on his estate were granted to his elder sister, Elizabeth, in England. Other children of John also came over.
- ' 3. Zaccheus, our ancestor, who was born in 1589 and died in 1670 at Topsfield. The stones may still be seen in the Topsfield cemetery which probably mark the places of burial for himself and his wife Phebe. In company with Messrs. Zaccheus Gould, his descendant of the sixth generation, and Samuel Todd, his descendant in the seventh, I exhumed these stones, hoping to find some inscription, but without success. Henry Gould-, younger brother of the last named Richard, was born about 1555. His posterity appear to have remained in England, residing mostly in Buckinghamshire, at least for the next three generations.
- FIRST GENERATION.
- ' 1. ZACCHEUS GOULD, born about 1589, resided at Hemel Hempsted and Great Missenden, in England, came to New England about 1638, established himself finally at Topsfield, and died there ab. 1670. By his wife Phebe, who died 1663, Sept. 20, he had the following children : —
- 2. Phebe, bapt. at Hemel Hempsted, 1620, Sept. 27, m. Dea. Thomas Perkins of Topsfield. She was living in 1681.
- 3. Mary, bapt. at Hemel Hempsted 1621, Dec. 19; m. John Redington of Topsfield.
- 4. Martha, bapt. at Hemel Hempsted, 1623, June 15 ; m. John Newmarch of Ipswich; died 1699.
- 5. Priscilla, m. John Wildes (b. 1620) ; d. 1663, April 16.
- 6. John, b. 1635, June 10-21;, m. 1660, Oct. 12, Sarah Baker; d. 1709-10, Jan. 26.
- 'A Genealogy Of The Wives Of The American Presidents And Their First Two ... By Craig Hart
- Pg. 69
- Thomas Perkins, b. April 28, 1622, Hillmorton, England; d. May 7, 1686, m. Phoebe Gould, b. 1620, England.
- Pg. 70
- John Wilde,* b. 1620, England; d. May 14, 1705, Topsfield, Mass., m. Priscilla Gould, b. 1620, England; d. Topsfield, Mass.2
- Pg. 71
- ' Zaccheus Gould,* b. 1589, Hemel, England; d. November 13, 1668, Topsfield, Mass., m. Phebe Deacon, b. April 3, 1597, Hemel, England; d. September 20, 1663, Topsfield, England2,5
- ' Zaccheus Gould,* m. Phebe Deacon* (Refer to Zaccheus Gould earlier in G-9 to Gontinue their lines.)2,5
- Pg. 72
- Richard Gould,* b. 1553, Bovington, England; d. 1604, Chesham, England, m. Elizabeth Young,* b. England; d. England2,5
- Thomas Deacon,* b. 1573, Corner Hall, England, m. Martha Field,* b. February 15, 1579, Hemel, England2,5
"Zaccheus came to New England around 1638. His brother Jeremy who settled in Rhode Island in 1638 and a number of other relatives preceded him.
"Zaccheus first settled in Weymouth, Mass. where he bought land from his brother, Jeremy, in 1639.
"From 1639 to 1644, Zaccheus lived in Lynn, Mass. where he owned a mill on the Saugus River. He also leased 300 acres of Salem land from John Humphrey. The lease went into effect on September 29, 1640 and the farm was called "Plain Farm".
"By 1644, Zaccheus was living in Ipswich, in the section now occupied by Topsfield.
"Zaccheus died between March 30, 1688 and November 13, 1688. He was buried on land near the town meeting house. At the time of his death, he was one of the largest landholders in the area, having amassed 3000 acres in the area, which was then Rowley Village and later Boxford."
- 'Zaccheus Gould
- 'M, b. 1589, d. after 30 March 1668
- Father Richard Gould d. c 1568
- ' Zaccheus Gould was born in 1589 at Bovington, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, England. He married Phebe Deacon, daughter of Thomas Deacon and Martha Field, circa 1618 at of Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, England. Zaccheus Gould died after 30 March 1668 at Topsfield, Essex, MA.
- 'Family Phebe Deacon b. 3 Apr 1597, d. 1663
- ◦Phebe Gould+ b. 1620
- ◦John Gould+ b. 21 Jun 1635, d. 26 Jan 1710
Zaccheus Q Gould's Timeline
Bovington, Hemel, Henstead, Hertfordshire, England
September 27, 1620
Great Missenden, Buckingham, England
September 27, 1620
Hemel, Hempstead, Hertfordshire, England
December 19, 1621
Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Braintree, Norfolk, MA, USA
June 15, 1623
Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, England
June 21, 1635
Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire, England, United Kingdom