Zoa (Zoe, Zoie)'s Top Matches
About Zoa (Zoe, Zoie) Rhodd (Bruno)
Alexander and Zoa Rhodd. Rhodd was an ogema and founder of the city of Maud, Oklahoma and Zoa was a chasgied, which is like an herbal doctor and mid-wife.
Mother Rodd- Niece of Shignebeck, Swan-Creek/Black-River bands. Live on upper St Clair reserve near Port Huron, paddlling from Sarnia to Port Huron. Adept at herbs, medicines and craft healings. Cured Wahngohezheget. Died in 1870 at over 100. children Antoine and Charlotte.(Dupre). In AAmjiwnaang. "Shignebeck [born c.1720; died c.1830 at the age of 107], Ojibwa chief, brother of Chief Annamakance, father of three sons including Ogotig and Onsha, and a daughter, Old Mother Rodd, who died in 1870; son of Chief Kioscance (Goodspeed: 23)." He (Henry Wobomie Cottrell 1777 died 1852 married Midday Woman (Mother Rodd) Midday Woman was born in 1766. She was the daughter of Pe Tauch Ne Nouck. She married Alexander Rodd (Sheshe pe ance) before 1812. Midday-Woman died in 1870 in Sarnia, Kent County, Ontario, (Sarnia Indian Reservation) at 104 years of age. Her body was interred in Sarnia, Kent County, Ontario. (Sarnia Indian Cemetery)
JAN 31 Ten questions about Thumb Indians Connell: Ten questions about Thumb Indians
http://www.thetimesherald.com/article/20091025/OPINION02/910250308/1014/OPINION/Connell-Ten-questions-about-Thumb-Indians?odyssey=nav%7Chead How much do you know about Native American history in the Thumb? Without further ado, let's play 10 questions: 1. What became of the Huron, the confederacy that loaned its name to Lake Huron and Port Huron? a. The Huron were all but destroyed in a genocidal war. b. Introduced diseases such as measles and smallpox claimed two-thirds of the population. c. The Huron merged with the Tobacco nation to form the Wyandot. d. All of the above. 2. The 1807 Treaty of Detroit reserved 1,287 acres on the south bank of the Black River in what is now Port Huron for the Ojibwe (Chippewa). What made the reservation unique? a. It had the longest known American Indian place name. b. It was the site of the infamous Dulhut Massacre of 1816. c. The warrior-prince Tecumseh took shelter there during the War of 1812. d. It was later sold for the equivalent of $24 worth of trinkets and whiskey. 3. How many Indian burial mounds were identified in what is now Port Huron? a. None. b. One, located in what is now Palmer Park. c. At least 20. d. Fifty or more. 4. What St. Clair County township is named for a local Indian chief? a. Greenwood. b. Kenockee. c. Mussey. d. Riley. 5. What became of the Swan Creek band, whose reservation was on the north shore of Anchor Bay? a. A cholera epidemic swept through the reservation in 1818, and the survivors fled to Saginaw. b. In 1827, band members moved to Walpole Island. c. In 1830, the federal government transported the band to Kansas. d. The Indians gradually were absorbed into the larger community of Ira and Clay townships. 6. Where did Capac get its name? a. It's a palindrome taken from a Lewis Carroll poem. b. It honors a legendary South American chief.b. It was the name of an Odawa warrior who trapped wolves near Mill Creek. c. It pays tribute to a Powhatan chief who was Pocahontas' half brother. d. It's the name of a once-popular gambling game. 9. When were the only known Indian rock carvings in Michigan rediscovered? a. Workers found them in 1932 while quarrying sandstone for the Tuscola County Courthouse in Caro. b. The Great Fire of 1881 burned off undergrowth, exposing the carvings. c. In 1877, loggers found the carvings near a portage route connecting the Black and Cass rivers. d. None of the above. 10. Mother Rodd, who kept a camp about a half mile west of what is now the Seaway Terminal, was celebrated for what reason? a. Living to the reputed age of 118. b. Pole vaulting across the St. Clair River. c. Treating illnesses with native plants. d. All of the above. The Answers 1-d. The Huron confederacy flourished before the arrival of Christian missionaries. In the 1630s, infectious diseases such as measles and smallpox killed perhaps two-thirds of the population. By 1640, only about 12,000 Huron were left, and most of them would die before 1650 in a brutal war between the Huron and the Iroquois. The survivors merged with refugees from the Tobacco nation (or Petun) to form the Wyandot. 2-a. In 1911, Frederick Webb Hodge, an anthropologist with the Smithsonian Institution, published "Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico." It included a comprehensive list of Indian place names. The longest of these is Mekadewagamitigweyawininiwak, an Ojibwe word meaning "People of the Blackwater River." It was the name of the reservation in what is now Port Huron. At 28 letters, it matches the length of antidisestablishmentarianism, the longest non-technical, noncoined word in English. 3-c. Henry Gillman included a map of the Port Huron burial mounds in an 1872 report to the Peabody Museum of Harvard University. He later reprinted the map in an 1877 monograph, "The Mound-Builders and Platycnemism in Michigan." Gillman undertook archaeological digs at several mounds, including a particularly large one on the south bank of the Black River just west of the Grand Trunk railroad bridge. The construction of a road (now known as Water Street) had destroyed a sizable portion of the mound before Gillman first saw it. His map identifies 20 other mounds clustered on the lakeshore between Lighthouse and Lakeside beaches or on the banks of McNeil's Creek, which emptied into the St. Clair River near where the Blue Water Bridge would be built. The old creek bed forms the sled-riding hill in Palmer Park. The creek was cut off from its headwaters (Howe-Brandymore Drain) when the canal was dug to flush out the fetid Black River with fresh water from Lake Huron. The burial mounds, which more accurately could be described as terraces, typically were 15 to 25 feet high, 50 or so feet wide and about 100 feet long. Gillman suspected many mounds had been destroyed before his research. "Indian tradition says these mounds were built in ancient times, by a people of whom they know nothing, and for whom they have no name," he wrote. 4-d. John Riley, leader of the 200-member Blackwater band, owned a two-room house on the Ojibwe reservation near where the Times Herald building now stands. He later opened a store near the Belle River in Riley Township, which carries his name. His parents were the beautiful Me-naw-cam-e-goqua, an Ojibwe maiden whose name can be found in the 1819 Treaty of Saginaw, and James Van Slyck Ryley (or Riley), a frontiersman who later returned to New York State where he married and started another family. He served as a judge and also was the longtime postmaster of Schenectady. In the 1819 treaty, Riley and his two brothers received 640-acre parcels in what is now Bay City. Their father visited them in 1836 and advised his sons not to sell their property for less than $30,000. Connecticut native Laura Wheaton Farrand, a former principal of a girl's academy in Detroit and founder of the Port Huron Ladies Library Association, used the casual racism of the 19th century in her description of Chief Riley as "a half breed, a man of commanding appearance, quite courtly in manner, with very good features, almost white, considerably educated, and spoke English very well." Riley sold his store in 1836 and moved to Ontario, where he died near the Thames River in 1842. c. It's the Ojibwe word for cranberry bog.Farrand, by the way, was the second wife of Port Huron attorney and pine baron Bethuel Clinton Farrand, who briefly owned the house on the Fort Gratiot army post that would become famous as Thomas Edison's boyhood home. 5-c. In 1830, the federal government sent boats to carry members of the Swan Creek band on the first leg of a journey to a new reservation in Kansas. A Potawatomi chief, Francois Maconce, led the band known as the Wapisiwisibiwininiwak, or Swan Creek men. 6-b. Judge Dewitt Walker drew up plans for a village in 1857 and named it in honor of Manco Capac, the legendary founder of the Inca dynasty in Peru. While dozens of Michigan communities carry Native American names, Capac may be the only one named for a South American Indian. 7-a. Algonac is one of numerous faux Indian names conjured up by Henry Rowe Schoolcraft, a prominent Indian agent whose writings inspired Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's epic poem, "The Song of Hiawatha." Schoolcraft came up with Algonac by blending "Algon" from the word Algonquin with "ac," a suffix meaning land or place. Algonac thus means "land of the Algonquin." Other faux names created by Schoolcraft include Alcona, Allegan, Alpena, Arenac, Iosco, Kalkaska, Leelanau, Oscoda and Tuscola. He also made up Itasca, the name of the lake where the Mississippi River rises. 8-a. Father Chrysostom Adrian Verwyst, a Catholic missionary and expert on the Ojibwe language, said Kenockee means "long-legged." William Lee Jenks repeated this claim nearly a century ago when he published "History of St. Clair County." Not everyone is so sure. Virgil Vogel, author of "Indian Names in Michigan," suggests Kenockee may come from kinoje, the Ojibwe word for pike or pickerel. Vogel also says the meaning of the name should be classed as unsolved. 9-b. The Sanilac Petroglyphs, which are part of a 240-acre state historic park in Greenleaf Township, contain the only known Indian rock carvings in Michigan. Several historians say the Great Fire of 1881 exposed the carvings on a sandstone outcropping near the forks of the Cass River in the northwestern corner of Sanilac County. Not everyone agrees. Gerry Prich of the Bad Axe Historical Society says white settlers in the Thumb knew of the carvings in the 1830s. He also reports an Indian village was located near the petroglyphs before the area was logged in the 1870s. Indians and voyageurs did portage their canoes between the Cass and Black rivers, which provided an inland alternative for the journey between Saginaw Bay and the St. Clair River. 10-d. Fact and fiction blend in tales of Mother Rodd, one of the best known Indians of the Port Huron-Sarnia area. She was a granddaughter of Maskeash (Falling Snow), one of the Ojibwe chiefs who signed the Treaty of Detroit in 1807. She married Alexander Rodd, a French-Ojibwe frontiersman who was ambushed and slain by Indians from Saginaw. The couple had four sons -- Thunder, Black Kerchief, Serpent and Running Brook. An oil painting of Mother Rodd hung for many years in the state Capitol at Lansing. It was a gift of D.B. Harrington, who learned to speak Ojibwe as a young man and who became arguably the most influential figure in early Port Huron. Mother Rodd sold brooms, baskets and other handicrafts. She also was renowned for her knowledge of native plants and natural cures. She walked everywhere, and leaned on a tall staff when she did. In 1870, when she died in Sarnia, various reports put her age at 104, 113 and 118. Old Mother Rodd joined Paul Bunyan, John Henry and others who inspired the tall tales that became part of the American fabric of the 19th century. Children would listen in astonishment to elders who claimed they had seen her use her walking stick to pole vault across the St. Clair River.
Her headstone says she was born 1840.
Back row: JB is Joseph Bruno born oct 1872 (son of John Baptist)
CW is Charlotte Wamego (daughter of JB beside her)
JB Jr I think is John Anthony Bruno born jul 1867
Aunt Belle D Bruno born abt 1885 (daughter of John Baptist)
Moses Bruno born 7 jun 1874 (son of John Baptist)
Middle row: Aunt Zoe born 20 apr 1843 (sister to John Baptist and daugther of Anthony Bruno and Julia)
Aunt Ellen Vieux wife of Joseph Bruno
Alec B son of joseph and ellen born 1912
Julia B born 1910 (daughter of joseph and ellen )
Mother? i am not sure who it is.
Grandma? not sure who this is either.
Lizabeth bruno, Aunty Mae’s baby, not sure where she fits
Great Grandma Bruno is Mary Rhodd (wife of John Baptist Bruno)
Great Grandpa Bruno is John Bruno (son of Anthony Bruno and Julia)
Front Row: Belles boy George, is George Lehman, Belle is the daughter of John Bruno and Mary Rhodd.
Louis Bruno is son of Joseph O and Ellen Vieux born 1907
John or Jacob, not sure which one this is, I think it might be Jacob bruno son of Joseph O and Ellen Vieux, born 1904. He is definatly older than louis.
Luther Bruno, born 1907 as well.
After Anthony and Julia had 3 children, Anthony married Lydia Elizabeth Palmer. You will see photo’s above of John and Zoe but I have not found one of the third child Julia. If you have a photo please let me know.
This entry was posted on Friday, February 13th, 2004 at 5:55 pm and is filed under Bruno. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Zoa (Zoe, Zoie) Rhodd's Timeline
April 20, 1843
November 22, 1880
March 6, 1936
Sacred Heart, OK, USA