Cornelis Hendricksen Van Vorst (1580 - 1638)

‹ Back to Van Vorst surname

Is your surname Van Vorst?

Research the Van Vorst family

Cornelis Hendricksen Van Vorst's Geni Profile

Records for Cornelis Van Vorst

125,738 Records

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Share

Related Projects

Birthplace: Nederlands
Death: Died in Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands
Managed by: Jay Rutan
Last Updated:

About Cornelis Hendricksen Van Vorst

Cornelius Hendricksen [Van Voorst] (1580-1638) was born in The Netherlands, probably in Utrecht. He wasn't named "Van Voorst" at birth, but it is used here for family line clarity. It is believed that he was sent to Italy to study woodcarving and that back in The Netherlands he established himself as an expert in wood and woodcarving. In 1610 Cornelius Hendricksen [Van Voorst] was among the rebels who plotted to take over the government at Utrecht, Netherlands. The plot was discovered and the plotters, including Cornelius Hendricksen [Van Voorst], were imprisoned and he was ultimately banished from The Netherlands. It is believed that he lived in Belgium for a number of years until a general amnesty in 1619 allowed him to return to The Netherlands. It is believed that he did return to The Netherlands, but the date of his return is not known. In the early 1600s Cornelius Hendricksen [Van Voorst] was married (wife's name unknown, reportedly appeared in a Belgium court in 1619) and they had 2 children/sons (birth dates listed are guesstimates). They may have been born in The Netherlands or in Belgium, but they were Dutch. On 28 April 1625 Cornelius Hendricksen [Van Voorst] sold his interest in his father's Netherlands estate. On 07 April 1626 Cornelius Hendricksen [Van Voorst] made this notarized agreement: "Cornelius Van Voorst, ebberwerker, having been engaged by the directors of the West India Company of the Amsterdam chamber to go to New Netherland, gives power of attorney to Herman Jacobsz van Snellenberch and Jacob Cosijns, also ebberwerckers and burgher of Utrecht, to collect some money due himself from certain persons living in France." It is believed that Cornelius Hendricksen [Van Voorst] and his family went to New Netherland soon after that as settlers for the Dutch West India Company and that Cornelius Hendricksen [Van Voorst] was likely, in addition to establishing a home and farming, engaged in comerce between New Netherland and The Netherlands. In this capacity he may have made trips back and forth between New Netherland and The Netherlands. In the early 1630s Cornelius Hendricksen [Van Voorst] was back in the Netherlands where he was hired by Michael Reyniersen Pauw who had received Pavonia (named for Pauw) as a New Netherland land grant on the west side of the Hudson River in 1630 providing he established a settlement of not fewer than fifty persons there in 4 years. It is believed that Cornelius Hendricksen [Van Voorst] was back in New Netherland by 1632 to oversee Pauw's interests (as his Chief Officer, the civil and judicial head of Pavonia) before Pauw had to sell this land back to the Dutch West India Company in 1633 for failure to meet the settlement requirements. Cornelius Hendricksen [Van Voorst] married for the second time at about this time and would have 2 more children (birth dates are guesstimates) with this wife. Cornelius Hendricksen [Van Voorst] stayed on to work as a superintendent in Pavonia for the Dutch West India Company and built a house (the second house in Pavonia) on Harsimus Cove in the area in Pavonia that became known as Harsimus or Ahasymus. His son, Ide Corneliusen [Van Voorst] is said to have been the first white child born and married in New Netherland. Cornelius Hendricksen [Van Voorst] was a farmer and raised cattle and engaged in trade (with the Indians, the Dutch across the river at New Amsterdam, the English; probably in beaver) and he developed his Ahasymus farm (leased from the Dutch West India Company) into the first bouwerie or plantation in the area. Cornelius Hendricksen [Van Voorst] "spoke French and Dutch and was probably a Walloon ... he was hot tempered and fond of French wine ... he became a man of considerable importance in New Netherland". On 25 June 1636 he was entertaining Dutch notables from New Amsterdam, including Director-General Van Twiller, to celebrate the stocking of his wine cellar. Cornelius Hendricksen [Van Voorst], as his guests were leaving, fired a pederero (cannon) in salute to them. Sparks landed on the thatched roof of his house and it burned to the ground and had to be replaced. Cornelius Hendricksen [Van Voorst] died during the summer of 1638 and "left the largest private estate of the time".

On 31 March 1639 Director-General Kieft leased to widow Vrouwtje Idese the Dutch West India Company Ahasymus bouwery where the Van Voorst's were living. It was a 20 year lease and would cost them a quarter of everything they produced. Also in about 1639 widow Vrouwtje Idese [Van Voorst] married second Jacob Stoffelsen. Vrouwtje Idese [Van Voorst Stoffelsen] died in April of 1641. The 15 April 1641 estate inventory showed this to be a well-to-do family. Bogardus and Tymen Jansen became guardians of the Van Voorst minor children. The Ahasymus lease was transferred to Jacob Stoffelsen. In 1657 widow Tryntje Jacobse [Van Winkle] married second Jacob Stoffelsen and moved her 6 Van Winkle children to live at Ahasymus. Jacob Stoffelsen died in 1667 and the Ahasymus lease transferred to widow Tryntje Jacobse [Van Winkle Stoffelsen] on 31 March 1668. In 1668 Tryntje Jacobse married third to Michiel Tadesen [Van Yderstyne] who died in 1670 and in 1671 she married fourth to Caspar Steynments. And they continued to live at Ahasymus which was then in the English province of New Jersey.

Son Ide Corneliusen Van Voorst (1634-1683) was born at Ahasymus, New Netherland (see above). As a child he was captured by Indians in the 1643 Indian raid at Pavonia (the Van Vorst house was burned again) and taken to Tappaen and was soon rescued by Captain DeVries. In 1652 he married Hilletje Janse Van Oldenburg (ancestry sought!) at the New Amsterdam Dutch Reformed Church and they lived at Ahasymus, New Netherland. Thier 6 children were born at Ahasymus. The first 5 children were baptized at the New Amsterdam Dutch Reformed Church and the 6th child was baptized at the Bergen Dutch Reformed Church and the "birth" dates on the Family Group page are actually their baptism dates. The children were married at the Bergen Dutch Reformed Church. Ide Corneliusen Van Voorst lived and farmed his whole life at Ahasymus and accumulated wealth and land and eventually owned almost all of the land originally granted to Michael Pauw known as Pavonia. He took refuge in New Amsterdam for a time in 1655 and again in 1659 during times of severe Indian hostilities at Pavonia, but soon returned to his home at Ahasymus. "He braved the dangers of border life, and exposed himself, his property and family to attacks by the savages."

Grandson Cornelius Idesen Van Voorst (1662-1753), son of Ide Corneliusen Van Voorst (1634-1683), married Fitje Gerritse Van Wagenen (1663-1734) in 1685 at the Bergen Dutch Reformed Church. They lived at Ahasymus, NJ and had 12 children there. The children were baptized at the Bergen Dutch Reformed Church.

Great Grandson Gerrit Corneliusen Van Voorst (1689-1785), son of Cornelius Idesen Van Voorst (1662-1753), moved to New Barbadoes Neck (also called Hackensack and near Acquackanonck) and married there in 1714 to Sara Walichse Van Winkle (born 1688) and they had 9 children there. Gerrit Corneliusen Van Voorst's will was dated 13 June 1764 and it was probated 15 June 1785.

Great Great Granddaughter Maritje Van Voorst (born about 1733), daughter of Gerrit Corneliusen Van Voorst (1689-1785), married Abraham Van Giesen (1728-1785) in 1751 at Second River Dutch Reformed Church. They lived and raised 6 children in New Jersey somewhere in the Second River or Third River or Acquackanonck area. They were baptized at Acquackanonck and the "birth" dates on the Family Group page are actually their baptism dates. During the Revolutionary War a Van Giesen family plantation on Third River was confiscated by the English from "Tory Van Giesen" who may have been Abraham Van Giesen (1728-1785). Abraham Van Giesen's will was dated 29 September 1785 and it was proved 24 October 1785.

Sources: History of the County of Hudson, NJ by C. H. Winfield, 1874; History of Passaic and Its Environs by W. W. Scott, 1922; Genealogical History of Hudson and Bergen Counties, New Jersey by C. B. Harvey, 1900; NYGBRecord v.56 no.3 July 1925 (Tryntje Jacobs and her 4 husbands); Dutch Reformed Church records from New Amsterdam, Bergen, and others; Payne-Joyce Genealogy (online)

-------------------- Van Vorst House 166-168 Fourth and Henderson Streets Harsimus Cove/Pavonia Van Vorst House

Until its demolition in 1967, the Van Vorst House on Fourth Street stood on a foundation reportedly dating back to 1647; it was regarded as the oldest standing house in Jersey City. The historic claim was investigated with a search for verifying documents at the time of Jersey City's tercentenary in 1960. The result was the conclusion that the house was on "the original foundation of Jersey City's first stone house" (Haff). The investigators were looking for "traces of a stone house built on the shores of the Hudson River in 1647 by Cornelis [sic] Van Vorst" (Haff). The import of the location of the property is that it would identify "the beginning of what was known as 'the settlement of van Vorst,' a forerunner of Jersey City" (Haff).

Their six-month "history detective" work was considered successful; the house on Fourth Street, built about 1885, was indeed constructed on the old foundation and was extant in 1960; a municipal redevelopment program in the old Van Vorst area caused its demolition seven years later. According to this writer, however, the stone house in question could not have been built by Cornelius Van Vorst as he died in 1638. It may have been constructed, however, by his widow's new husband Jacob Stoffelsen as the following story of the Cornelius Van Vorst and his descendants will detail.

Cornelius Van Vorst came to America from the town of Voorst in Holland, although it is noted that there was also a town of Vorst in Belgium. According to historian Charles H. Winfield, "The date of his arrival has been set down as 1636. This is probably an error" (Winfield 426). He claims there is evidence that Van Vorst arrived in 1634, went back to Holland in 1635, and returned to Pavonia prior to June 25, 1636, to work for Michael Pauw. Wouter Van Twiller was the Director General of New Netherland (1633-1638) at the time of his arrival.

Pauw was a Dutch patroon who remained in the Netherlands and entrusted Van Vorst as his superintendent to oversee his American property grant from the Dutch West India Company, business interests and potential tenants. The property consisted of large tracts of land at Hoboken, Ahasimus (later Harsimus), and Aressick (later Paulus Hook) that would become part of Jersey City. According to historian David F. Winkler's, Pauw's grant, "straddled the main delivery route for Indian pelts coming from the west into New Amsterdam and . . . Pauw's agent, Cornelis [sic] von Vorst had positioned himself to intercept the pelts for profit" (5). As a tenant on Pauw's property, Van Vorst became a farmer and cattle raiser and traded with the English colonies.

Winkler notes that Pauw, an absentee landlord, had conflicts with the directors of the colony that stood in the way of fulfilling the obligations of his grant agreement. He was thereby required to sell his land back to the Dutch West India Company for twenty-six thousand guilders.

Local historian Joan Lovero writes that Van Vorst ". . . who spoke French and Dutch and was probably a Walloon, as were many of the early colonists, . . . and though hot-tempered and fond of French wine, . . . became a man of considerable importance in New Netherland" (8-9). Van Vorst built a wooden frame house, ca. 1636, along the shoreline of the Hudson River at Pavonia. The Van Vorst house and that of Pauw at Communipaw were the first two permanent houses west of the Hudson River. Van Vorst remained on his farm, which developed into the first "bouwerie" or plantation known as Ahasimus or Harsimus Cove. He also served the Dutch West India Company as a chief officer or superintendent.

On June 16, 1636, the thatch roof of Van Vorst's cottage caught fire and destroyed the house. Van Vorst himself had fired a cannon on his property after an evening of entertaining guests to end the celebration, and the sparks ignited the roof. He replaced the home and died shortly thereafter in July of 1638. There seems to be no specification of either a stone house as the replacement home. The construction of a such a home in 1647 is also complicated by the difficulties for his widow and children in the 1640s.

Van Vorst had three children who were born in Holland; they were Hendrick, Jan, and Annetje. The name of his first wife is not known. He married Vrouwtje Ides (also spelled Vrontje) with whom he had a son Ide Van Vorst, who is said to be "the first white male child born and married in New Netherland" (Winfield 430). Ide's name is probably derived from his mother's surname. After the death of her husband, Vrouwtje Van Vorst took over the care of the Van Vorst property. According to Winfield, "she leased the farm at Ahasimus for a term of twenty years, agreeing to pay therefor one quarter of the produce, to build a new frame house, and keep those already built in repair--the Director agreeing to furnish the necessary brick for the chimney. She also hired from the Director-General three ewes and two ram yielding therefor one-half of the milk and of the increase" (426). She married Jacob Stoffelsen in 1639/1640, and he inherited her property; she died in 1641.

On February 25, 1643, Dutch Governor William Kieft ordered an attack on the local Indians at Pavonia, beginning hostilities at the settlement. In September the Indians retaliated; the Van Vorst house and property were in the vicinity of the warfare. The house was set ablaze, and Ide Van Vorst, then thirteen years of age, was kidnapped and taken to Tappan. Captain David Pieterz [also reported as John] De Vries of Staten Island, assisted by friendly Indians, ransomed Van Vorst and returned him to his family. His stepfather Jacob Stoffelsen had hired soldiers to protect the property. But on October 1, nine Indians chased Stoffelsen away, killed the soldiers, and burned the house with others in the area of Pavonia.

Another Indian raid in 1655 at Pavonia caused the family to abandon the house. Stoffelsen returned the following year and asked the New Amsterdam authorities if he could rebuild. A third house was constructed at what was now called Harsimus. It is said that Stoffelsen brought slaves to the Van Vorst farm. From a reported dispute between Stoffelsen and his stepson Ide Van Vorst over the taking of sheep for a dinner and the gift to Stoffelsen of a "a Negro," one learns that they shared a common flock of sheep on the Van Vorst property (Winfield 430).

On October 18, 1652, Ide Van Vorst married Hilletje Jans of Oldenburgh (Holstein). They had six children, including a son Cornelius Van Vorst, baptized on July 30, 1662. He married Fitje Gerritse Van Wagenen of Communipaw. Like other settlers at Ahasimus, Ide Van Vorst retreated from his home during Indian attack. In 1655, he briefly stayed at New Amsterdam to wait out the hostilities, and again in October 1659 he sailed away from the Van Vorst settlement to safety across the Hudson River.

Stoffelsen died between 1665 and 1675, and the Van Vorst property was in dispute among the heirs of the families involved. According to Winfield, "[Ide Van Vorst] continued to reside at Ahasimus as a farmer accumulating wealth, which was to enable him to become the owner of not an inconsiderable part of the domains of Pauw" (430).

During the Revolutionary War, a detachment of British Calvary was quartered at the Van Vorst house, and Lt. Colonel Cornelius "Faddy" Van Vorst (1728-1818) eventually inherited the house. He was the fifth generation of the Van Vorst family.

The Van Vorst family continued in the area as independent settlers. They occupied Pavonia from its founding to the incorporation of Bergen. The Van Vorst descendants were the major property owners of Paulus Hook at the time of the formation of the Associates of the Jersey Company in 1804. The last family member to live in the house was John Van Vorst in the 1850s. Later in the nineteenth century, the shoreline of Jersey City at present day Henderson Street was filled in. The land reclamation then placed the Van Vorst house, once on the banks of the Hudson River, three blocks or half a mile in from the coast. It was built on Fourth Street ca. 1885 on the foundation of the Van Vorst property.

During the Civil War, an eighth generation descendent of Cornelius Van Vorst, named for his ancestor, became the mayor of Jersey City (1860-1862).

In 1960, for Jersey City's tercentenary, a property search for the site and foundation of the Van Vorst house built in 1647 was conducted. This was not the house of the first Cornelius Van Vorst who died in 1638 but one of the homes built by Stoffelsen and/or Ide Van Vorst. It is the house that they called responsible for "the settlement of Van Vorst" (quoted in ). It was found only three blocks from the Hudson River on Fourth Street and west of Henderson Street. The study claimed the house at 166-168 Fourth Street was "built about 1885 on the foundation of the Van Vorst House" that was razed in 1967.

By the 1960s, the area of the Van Vorst homestead had developed with a meat packing company and apartments on either side. From the turn of the twentieth century, it had been used as a Turkish bath and its exterior walls were covered with red brick. It was described as a two-story, and partial three-story, house with gables and lookout windows. Additions, such as a front and back porch, were made to the house over the years. The owners were not able to salvage the deteriorating colonial structure, and it was razed in 1967 as part of the Henderson Street Urban Renewal Plan.

One may conclude that the site of the earliest residence of the Van Vorst family most likely was at Fourth and Henderson Street and that Cornelius Van Vorst left his footprint and legacy for the future Van Vorst district, but he was not responsible for the 1647 construction,

References:

Har vey, Cornelius B., ed. Genealogical History of Hudson and Bergen Counties, New Jersey. New York: The New Jersey Genealogical Publishing Co., 1900. Haff, Joseph O. "Jersey City Searches 6 Months to Find Remains of 1647 House." New York Times 7 July 1960. Lovero, Joan D. Hudson County: The Left Bank. Sun Valley. CA: American Historical Press, 1999. Savelle, Max and Darold D. Wax. A History of Colonial America. Hinsdale, Illinois: Dryden Press, 1973. Winfield, Charles H. History of the County of Hudson, New Jersey. New York: Kennard & Hay Printing Company, 1874. Winkler, David F. "Revisiting the Attack on Pavonia." New Jersey History. Fall/Winter 1998:3-15.

By: Carmela Karnoutsos Project Administrator: Patrick Shalhoub

___________________________________

Genealogical History Of Hudson And Bergen Counties New Jersey

EARLY SETTLERS OF HUDSON COUNTY

Originally published in 1900

Cornelius Burnham Harvey, Editor 

http://www.getnj.com/hudberg/hudberg5.shtml

Edited by GET NJ, COPYRIGHT 2003

A great majority of the pioneer settlers of Bergen and Hudson Counties were emigrants from Holland, or descendants of persons who had emigrated from that country and settled on Manhattan Island or Long Island. The rest were English, French, Germans, and Scandinavians. What brought these to the shores of America? What led them to settle in New Jersey? Who were they? The limits of this article will permit of only a brief reference to the two principal causes which impelled them to leave their native land, overcrowding of population in Holland and the desire to better their condition.

More than a century had elapsed since the Augustinian monk, Luther, had nailed his ninety-five theses on the church door at Wittenberg. That act had, at last, wakened into activity all the dormant forces of christendom. During the Middle Ages all learning and religion had been controlled by the Roman hierarchy. All that time the papacy had been a confederacy for the conservation of learning, against the barbarism and ignorance of the times; and so long as the pontiff retained the character of chief clerk of such a confederacy his power remained irresistible. But as soon as he abandoned the role of chief clerk in spiritual affairs, and assumed that of secular prince, the great revolution began. His former friends became his enemies. The British schoolmen led the way in the revolt, followed by Wickliff, Huss, Jeronie, and others. The breach kept widening, until all the countries of Western Europe started like giants out of their sleep at the first blast of Luther's trumpet. In Northern Europe the best half of the people embraced the Reformation. The spark which the monk had kindled lighted the torch of civilization, which was to illuminate the forests of the Hudson in America.

At no time since this terrible contest began had the Catholic monarchs of Europe been more persistently active and relentlessly cruel toward the believers in the new religion than at the beginning of emigration to New Netherland. The bloody conflict known as "The Thirty Years' War" was then raging with all its attendant horrors. Nevertheless, Holland, of all the circle of nations, had guaranteed safety to people of every religious belief, and enforced, within her own borders at least, respect for civil liberty. As a result she had become the harbor of refuge and the temporary home of thousands of the persecuted of almost every country; the Brownists from England, the Waldenses from Italy, the Labadists and Picards from France, the Walloons from Germany and Flanders, and many other Protestant sects, all flocked into Holland. Across her borders flowed a continual stream of refugees and outcasts. This influx of foreigners, augmented by the natural increase of her own people, caused Holland to suffer seriously from overcrowding, particularly in her large cities. A learned Hollander, writing at that time, said of the situation: "Inasmuch as the multitude of people, not only natives but foreigners, who are seeking a livelihood here, is very great, so that, where one stiver is to be earned, there are ten hands ready to seize it. Many are obliged, on this account, to go in search of other lands and residences, where they can obtain a living."

In the few years preceding 1621 several voyages of discovery and adventure had been made by the Dutch to New Netherland, but no colonies had been founded. Letters from these voyagers declared that New Netherland was a veritable paradise – a land "flowing with milk and Honey," traversed by numerous great and beautiful rivers, plentifully stocked with fish; great valleys and plains, covered with luxuriant verdure; extensive forests, teeming with fruits, game, and wild animals; and an exceedingly fertile and prolific soil. These and many similar letters aroused and stimulated many of the discontented and unemployed of Holland to emigrate to New Netherland with their families in the hope of being able to earn a handsome livelihood, strongly fancying that they could live in the New World in luxury and ease, while in the Old they would still have to earn their bread by the sweat of their brows.

In 1621 the "States-General" took steps looking toward relief from the situation, the gravity of which they now fully comprehended. On June 3 they granted a charter to "The Dutch West India Company" to organize and govern a colony in New Netherland; and in June, 1623-4, an expedition under Captain Cornelius Jacobsen Mey, of Amsterdam, carrying thirty families, most of whom were religious refugees, came over to New Amsterdam and began a settlement on the lower end of Manhattan Island. Mey, not liking the job of being director of the new colony, soon returned to Holland, leaving matters for a time in charge of William Verhulst, who was succeeded by Peter Minuit in 1626. This first colony was not a success. The colonists were "on the make." Aside from building a few rude bark huts and a fort, they busied themselves dickering with the savages for skins and furs. They tilled no ground, and for three years were non-supporting. On the 1 th of June, 1629, the "States-General" granted a bill of "Freedoms and Exemptions" to all such private persons as

would plant any colonies in any part of New Netherland (except the Island of Manhattan), granting to them the fee simple in any land they might be able to successfully improve. Special privileges were also granted to members of the West India Company. Whoever of its members should plant a colony of fifty persons should be a feudal lord, or Patroon," of a tract "sixteen miles in length, fronting on a navigable river and reaching eight miles back."

As yet only exploring parties bent on trade with the savages had traversed Bergen and Hudson Counties. No one had ventured to "take up" any lands there. But now, under the stimulus of the bill of "Freedoms and Exemptions," one Michael Pauw, then burgomaster of Amsterdam, was impelled, for speculative purposes no doubt, to obtain from the Director General of New Netherland, in 1630, grants of two large tracts, one called "Hoboken Hacking " (land of the tobacco pipe) and the other "Ahasimus." Both of these tracts were parts of what is now Jersey City. These grants bore date, spectively, July 13 and November 22, 1630. The grantee gave one place the name of "Pavonia." Pauw failed to comply with the conditions set forth in his deeds and was obliged, after three years of controversy with the West India Company, to convey his "plantations" back to that company. Michael Paulesen, an official of the company, was placed in charge of them as superintendent. It is said he built and occupied a hut at Paulus Hook early in 1633. If so, it was the first building, of any kind erected in either Bergen or Hudson County. Later in the same year the company built two more houses : one at Communipaw, afterward purchased by Jan Evertse Bout, the other at Ahasimns (now Jersey City, east of the Hill), afterward purchased by Cornelius Van Vorst. Jan Evertse Bout succeeded -Michael Paulesen as superintendent of the Pauw plantation, June 17, 1634, with headquarters at Communipaw, then the capital of Pavonia Colony. He was succeeded in June, 1636, by Cornelius Van Vorst, with headquarters at Ahasimus, where he kept "open house" and entertained the New Amsterdam officials in great style.

In 1641 one Myndert Myndertse, of Amsterdam, (bearing the ponderous title of "Van der Heer Nedderhorst,") obtained a grant of all the country behind (west of) Achter Dull (Newark Bay), and from thence north to Tappan, including part of what is now Bergen and Hudson Counties. Accompanied by a number of soldiers, Myndertse occupied his purchase, established a camp, and proceeded to civilize the Indians by military methods. It is needless to say that he failed.

He soon abandoned the perilous undertaking of founding a colony, returned to Holland, and the title to this grant was forfeited. Early in 1638 William Kieft became Director General of New Netherland, and on the first day of May following granted to Abraham Isaacsen Planck (Verplanck) a patent for Paulus Hook (now lower Jersey City).

There were now two "plantations" at Bergen, those of Planck and Van Vorst. Parts of these, however, had been leased to, and were then occupied by, Claes Jansen Van Purmerend, Dirck Straatmaker. Barent Jansen, Jan Cornelissen Buys, Jan Evertsen Carsbon, Michael Jansen, Jacob Stoffelsen, Aert Teunisen Van Putten, Egbert Woutersen, Garret Dirckse Blauw, and Cornelius Ariessen. Van Putten had also leased and located on a farm at Hoboken. All these, with their families and servants, constituted a thriving settlement. The existence of the settlement of Bergen was now imperiled by the acts of Governor Kieft, whose idea of government was based mainly upon the principle that the governor should get all he could out of the governed. His treatment of the Indians soon incited their distrust and hatred of the whites. The savages, for the first time, began to show symptoms of open hostility. Captain Jan Petersen de Vries, a distinguished navigator, who was then engaged in the difficult task of trying to found a colony at Tappan, sought every means in his power to conciliate the Indians, and to persuade Kieft that his treatment of them would result in bloodshed.

The crafty and selfish governor turned a deaf ear to all warnings and advice and continued to goad the Indians by cruel treatment and harsh methods of taxation. In 1643 an Indian – no doubt under stress of great provocation – shot and killed a member of the Van Vorst family. This first act of murder furnished a pretext for the whites and precipitated what is called "The Massacre of Pavonia," on the night of February 25, 1643, when Kieft, with a sergeant and eighty soldiers, armed and equipped for slaughter, crossed the Hudson, landed at Communipaw, attacked the Indians while they were asleep in their camp, and, without regard to age or sex, deliberately, and in the most horrible manner, butchered nearly a hundred of them. Stung by this outrage upon their neighbors and kinsmen, the northern tribes at once took the war path, attacked the settlement, burned the buildings, murdered the settlers, wiped the villages out of existence, and laid waste the country round about. Those of the settlers who were not killed outright fled across the river to New Amsterdam. Nor was peace restored between the savages and the whites until August, 1645, when the remaining owners and tenants of farms returned to the site of the old village, rebuilt their homes, and started anew.

Kieft having been driven from office, Petrus Stuyvesant was made Director General, July 28, 1646. Under his administration the settlement at Bergen was revived, grew rapidly, and prospered. Between his arrival and the year 1669 the following named persons purchased or leased lands, though all of them did not become actual residents:

Michael Pauw, Michael Paulesen, Jan Evertse Bout, Cornelius Van Vorst, Myndert Myndertsen Van der Heer Nedderhorst, Abraham Isaacsen Planck (Verplanck), Claes Jansen Van Purmerend (Cooper), Dirk Straatmaker, Barent Jansen, Jan Cornelissen Buys, John Evertsen Carsbon, Michael Jansen (Vreeland), Jacob Stoffelsen, Aert Teunisen Van Puttee, Egbert Woutersen, Garret Dircksen Blauw, Cornelius Ariesen, Jacob Jacobsen Roy, Francisco Van Angola (negro), Guilliaem Corneliesen, Dirk Sycan, Claes Carsten Norman, Jacob Walleugen (Van Winkel), James Luby, Lubbert Gerritsen, Gysbert Lubbertsen, John Garretsen Van Immen, Thomas Davison, Garret Pietersen, Jan Cornelissen Schoenmaker, Jan Cornelissen Crynnen, Casper Stimets, Peter Jansen, Hendrick Jans Van Schalckwyck, Nicholas Bayard, Nicholas Varlet, Herman Smeeman, Tielman Van Vleeck, Douwe Harmansen (T'allman), Claes Jansen Backer, Egbert Steenhuysen, Hartnen Edwards Paulus Pietersen, Allerd Anthony, John Vigne, Paulus Leendertsen, John Verbruggen, Balthazar Bayard, Samuel Edsall, and Aerent Laurens.All these persons received their deeds, or such titles as they had, from the Dutch, through the different Director Generals.

The English captured New Netherland from the Dutch in 1664, and; thereupon, Philip Carteret, by an appointment of the "Lords-Proprietors" of the Province of East New Jersey, became its first governor. The titles of the settlers of Bergen Were confirmed by Carteret and his council in 1668. In 1669, following his appointments governor, Carteret also granted other portions of the lands in Hudson County to the following named persons:

Maryn Adrianse, Peter Stuyvesant, Claes Petersen Cors, Severn Laurens, Hendrick Jansen Spier, Peter Jansen Slott, Barent Christianse, Mark Noble, Samuel Moore, Adrian Post, Guert Coerten, Frederick Phillipse, Thomas Frederick de Kuyper, Guert Geretsen (Van Wagenen), Peter Jacobsen, John Berry, Ide Cornelius Van Vorst, Hans Diedrick, Hendrick Van Ostum, Cornelius Ruyven."The town and corporation of Bergen," as appears by Carteret's charter, had an area of 11,500 acres. Up to the end of 1669 scarce one-third of this area had been patented to settlers. The balance, more than 8,000 acres, was used in common by the patentees, their heirs, devisees, and grantees, for nearly a century before it was finally divided and set off to those entitled to it. As is ever the case under similar circumstances, many of the patentees and their descendants and grantees encroached upon these common lands. "Tom, Dick, and Harry" pastured their cattle on them, made lavish use of the timber, and in various other ways committed waste with impunity. Many patentees caused surveys to be made, presumed to "take up," and used divers parts of the public domain "without any warrant, power, or authority for so doing, without the consent of the majority of the other patent owners," so that in the course of time it could not be known how much of these common lands had been taken up and appropriated. This state of things caused great confusion and numerous violent disputes between the settlers, who, in January, 1714, petitioned Governor Hunter for a new charter empowering them, in their corporate capacity, to convey or lease their common lands, in fee, for one, two, or three lives or for years.

Governor Hunter, in response to this petition, procured a new charter for the town and corporation, known as " The Queen Anne Charter." The power given by this charter had little or no effect in putting a stop to encroachments upon, and disputes between, the settlers about the common lands. Thus matters continued until 1643, when another effort was made by the settlers to protect their rights in the common lands. An agreement was made, dated June the 16th, of that year, providing for a survey of the common lands and a determination of how much of the same had been lawfully taken up, used, or claimed, and by whom. For some reason this agreement was not carried out, and matters continued to grow worse until December 7, 1763, when the settlers appealed to the legislature for re- lief. That body passed a bill, which was approved by Governor Franklin, appointing commissioners to survey, map, and divide the common lands of Bergen among the persons entitled thereto. These commissioners, seven in number, made the survey and division and filed their report and maps on the 2d day of March, 1765, in the secretary's office at Perth Amboy, copies of which report and maps are also filed in the offices of the clerks of both Hudson and Bergen Counties.

In the division made by the commissioners the common lands were apportioned among the patentees, hereinbefore named, and their descendants, as well as among the following named persons:

Michael de Mott, George de Mott, Gerebrand Claesen, Joseph Waldron, Dirk Van Vechten, James Collerd, Thomas Brown, Andries Seagaerd, Dirk Cadmus, Zackariah Sickels, Job Smith, Daniel Smith, Joseph Hawkins, John Halmeghs, Philip French, Ide Cornelius Sip, Herman Beeder, Nicholas Preyer, Sir Peter Warren, Anthony White, Michael Abraham Van Tuyl, Walter Clendenny, John Cummings, David Latourette, John Van Dolsen.Several other families, namely, those of Day, de Grauw, de Groot. Hessels, Hopper, Banta, Huysman, Van Giesen, Earle, Franzen, Morris, and Swaen, had become residents of the county without having lands granted them. It may therefore be safely said that the families above named constituted nearly all of the original settlers of Hudson County east of the Hackensack River. The westerly portion of the county was included in the purchase by Captain William Sandford from the Parish of St. Mary's in the Island of Barbadoes. Governor Carteret and council granted this tract to Sandford, July 4, 1668. It contained within its boundaries an area of 15,308 acres, extending from the point of union of the Hackensack and Passaic Rivers about seven miles northward along said rivers, to a spring now known as the Boiling Springs, or Sandford Spring, near Rutherford. This purchase was made by Sandford for himself and Major Nathaniel Kingsland, also from the Island of Barbadoes, and the same was subsequently divided between Sandford and Kingsland. Kingsland, who became the owner of the northern part (including part of the present Bergen County), resided at what is now known as "Kingsland Manor," south of Rutherford, in Bergen County, while Sandford, who became the owner of the southerly part, resided at what is now East Newark, in Hudson County. Much of this large section of territory remained vested in the respective descendants of Sandford and Kingsland for many years after their deaths.


Some of the original settlers of what is now Bergen County were descendants of those who have been mentioned as having settled Hudson County. Others came from Manhattan Island, Long Island, New Harlem, Yonkers, Albany, Esopus, Kingston, and other already established settlements, while still others came direct from Europe. The grant of section 1 to William Sandford, in 1668, as before stated, extended north as far as Boiling Springs near Rutherford. The northern half of this was released to Kingsland.

In 1702 Elias Boudinot, a French Huguenot, purchased a large tract from the Kingslands, described as butting on the Passaic River, in Bergen County. John and William Stagg, Bartholemew Feurst, Daniel Rutan, Jacob Van Ostrand, Cornelius Vanderhoff, Herpert Gerrebrants, John Varrick, David Provost, John Van Emburgh, Jacob Wallings (Van Winkle), and Henry Harding acquired title to portions of the tract in Bergen County, but the bulk of Kingsland's estate, at his death, passed by his will to his near relatives, who settled on it and retained it for many years.

In 1668 Captain (afterward Major) John Berry received from Governor Carteret a patent for section 2, being all the lands between the Hackensack and Saddle Rivers, for a distance of six miles north from Sandford's purchase, or nearly as far as Cherry Hill, on the New Jersey and New York Railroad. Berry settled and built his home mansion on the southerly part of this tract, and on his death, most of it passed to the ownership of his heirs. The northerly part he had conveyed in parcels at various times to his son, Richard Berry, his daughter, Hannah Noel, and Garret Van Dien, Laurence Laurensen Ackerman, Rev. Guilliaem Bertholf, David Thomas, Thomas Nicholson, Albert Albertsen (Terhune), Arie Albertsen (Terhune), Claes Jansen Romeyn, Dr. John Van Emburgh, Hendrick Hopper, Ryck Lydecker, Juriaen Lubbertsen (Westervelt), Herman Brass, Abraham Huysman, Isaac Vreeland, Nicholas Devoe, Walling Jacobsen (Van Winkle), Elinor Mellinot, Folkert Jansen (Van Nostrand), Thomas Staag, Alexander Alliare, Peter France, Nicholas Kipp, Corneliese Christiansen, John Christiansen, Charles Maclean, and Anthony Anthonys (a negro), each of whom settled on the portions purchased by them. The "Moonachie" section he sold to Rutt Van Horn, Nicasie Kipp, and Thomas France.

The Zabriskies, Voorheeses, Brinkerhoffs, Demarests, Coopers, Van Reipens, and Powlesses acquired interests in the tract at an early date. In 1668 Samuel Edsall and Nicholas Varlet bought from the native Indians section 3, comprising 1,872 acres of "waste land and meadow," bounded east by the Hudson River, west by the Hackensack River and Overpeck Creek, and south by the "Town and Corporation of Bergen." The extent of this tract was two and a half miles from north to south, and the north boundary, beginning at Aquepuck Creek below Fort Lee, on the Hudson, ran northwest to the Overpeck Creek near Leonia. Subsequently Carteret gave Edsall and Varlet a patent of this tract. Nicholas Varlet soon after sold his interest in it to Edsall, who, in 1671, conveyed the northerly part of it of it to Michael Smith (a son-in-law of Major John Berry). Smith, at his death, left it to his son and heir-at-law, Johannes Smith, who, in 1706, conveyed it to John Edsall, son and heir-at-law of Samuel Edsall, deceased, who settled on it and devised it to his children.

In 1676 Samuel Edsall, by deed of gift, transferred the westerly part of the remainder of the original tract to his sons-in-law, Benjamin Blagge, of London, and William Laurence, of Newtown, L. I., who divided it between them, Blagge taking the northerly part and Laurence the southerly part. On Blagge's death his widow and devisee conveyed it to Wessel Peterson, who, in 1690, conveyed it to David Danielsen, who settled on it. Laurence's part of it passed to his son, Thomas Laurence. He sold half of it, said to contain 550 acres, in 1730, to Matthew Brown, who, in 1737, sold it to Cornelius Brinkerhoff. Joseph Morris and Adriaen Hoagland must have got the balance of Laurence's half, as they were living on it in 1730, and the Brinkerhoffs were the first actual settlers.

Brinkerhoff's purchase incuded the present Borough of Ridgefield. The easterly part of the remainder of the original tract, which fronted on the Hudson River, was, on March 12, 1686, conveyed by Samuel Edsall to Jacob Milburn, who, with Jacob Leisler, then Governor of New York, was attainted of and executed for high treason, in 1691. Milburn's estate (which by his will, executed just before his death, he devised to his wife Mary), was, by operation of the attainder, forfeited; but parliament, by special act, restored the estate to his widow and sole devisee.

The widow (who at the time of her death was the wife of Abraham (governeur) left a will empowering her daughter Jacoba, as executrix, to sell her lands on the Hudson. The executrix conveyed the lands in separate parcels to Hendrick Banta, Arie de Groot, Peter de Groot, Michael Vreeland, William Day, John Day, Mary Edsall (alias Mary Banks), John Edsall, and John Christiansen, who mutually released each other and settled on the same. The tract between the high rocks and the Hudson River was claimed by John Christeen, of Newark, under a grant from Berkley and Carteret, prior to that of Edsall and Varlet. This land Christeen sold in 1760 to his daughter Naomi, wife of John Day, and it seems to have become vested eventually in the same persons to whom Mrs. Governeur's executrix conveyed it.

On June 10, 1669, Governor Carteret patented to Major John Berry section 4, comprising a tract of 1,500 acres, lying between the Hudson River and Overpeck Creek, extending one and one-half miles north from the Edsall and Varlet patent. Berry sold the north half of this tract to George Duncan, an English merchant in New York. James Duncan inherited it from his father. Richard Backer, John, Samuel, and Matthew Benson, Jacob Day, Michael Vreeland, Hendrick Banta, and Jacob Cowenhoven subsequently acquired and settled on portions of it. The south half of it Berry conveyed to his son-in-law, Thomas Noel, who, at his death, devised it to his son, Monteith Noel, and to his wife's son, Richard Hall. Monteith Noel died intestate and without issue. By the terms of his father's will the lands passed to Elizabeth Patterson and James Martin, the two infant children and only heirs of Richard Hall, then deceased. By order of the court it was sold to Robert and Ann Drummond in trust for the two Hall children. On April 4, 17 26, the trustees sold it to John Stevens and William Williamson, who soon after sold it to Samuel Moore an Englishman front the Island of Barbadoes. William Laurence, Cornelius Brinkerhoff, Walter Briggs, Thomas de Kay, and others eventually bought parts of it.

Sections 5, 6, and 8, containing 6,770 acres of wildland, were, in 1661, granted in one parcel, by Carteret and his council, to Philip Carteret. I t was described as being seven miles in length, north and south, and three miles in width from the Hudson River to Overpeck Creek. It adjoined Berry on the south and Bedlow on the north. Carteret failed to settle within the prescribed time and it was again granted, in 1669, to Robert Vanquillan, of Caen, France; James Bollen, an Englishman (then a resident of Ridley, Pennsylvania); and Claude Vallot, of Champagne, France. Vanquillan sold his interest to Carteret in 1670. These gentlemen, failing to make any settlement within six years, lost their titles by forfeiture and the tract remained a wilderness without an owner until 1698, when it was granted to Mary, widow of Jacob Milburn, who also failed to settle it. On December 10, 1702, the southerly portion of section 5, forty chains wide and said to contain 500 acres, was granted by the proprietors to Michael Hawdon, a native of Ireland, but then a resident of New York and engaged in land speculation. On July 16, 1676, Hawdon conveyed to George Willocks, of Kenay, Scotland, and the heirs of Andrew Johnston, deceased, of Leith, Scotland.

John Johnston, Andrew's heir-at-law, released to Willocks and Willocks sold to George Leslie, of Barbadoes, W. I., a strip on the south, next to the Berry tract, half a mile in width. Leslie, on November 5, 1733, sold the southerly half, this being a quarter of a mile in width and containing 330 acres, to Mattias Demott, of Bergen, who, it is said, settled on it. Garret Lydecker, then a resident of New York, acquired the title to the remainder of the Willocks and Johnston purchase and to the remainder of section 5, one mile in width, and containing 1,000 acres. This made Lydecker's farm one and one-quarter miles in width on the Hudson River and the same width on Overpeck Creek. It extended northward as far as Englewood. On his death, in 1754, Lydecker's lands, comprising section 5, passed by his will to his four sons, Ryck, Abraham, Cornelius, and Garret Lydecker, whose descendants still occupy portions of it.

John Lodts, or Loots, a native of Norwich, England, came to this country in 1694, and in the fall of 1695 married Hilletje Powless, widow of Lubbert Lubbertsen Westervelt, Jr., of Bergen (now Jersey City). He removed to Bergen County and purchased a large portion of section 6, adjoining Lydecker on the south, on which he settled. Upon his death his lands were inherited by his sons, John and Paulus Loots; his daughters, Tryntie, wife of Henry Wierts Banta, and Gessie, wife of Daniel Commegar. Roeloff Lubberts Westervelt, a brother of the first husband of Loots's wife, purchased a strip north of Loots in section 6, as did also Cornelius, Hendrick, Dirk, and Seba Banta, the sons of Epke Jacobs. The purchases were all made in 1695. The combined purchases of Loots, Westervelt, and the Bantas, according to references in old deeds, must have included all of section 6, which extended north nearly as far as Tenafly. Descendants of the de Motts, Demarests, and Romaines subsequently acquired parts of section 6.

The triangular lot, section 7, lying between the east and west branches of Overpeck Creek, was first patented by the East New Jersey proprietors, in 1688, to Samuel Emmett, of Boston. Without settling it, Emmett conveyed it, September 17, 1695, to Roloff Lubbertsen Westervelt. The Indians disputed Westervelt's title in 1705, and he was obliged to procure from them a release. This tract extended from the junction of the two branches of the Overpeck, at Englewood, northward to the head of the Tiena Kill Brook, a little south of Tenafly. The acquisition of section 7 by Westervelt gave him one of the largest farms on the Hudson. He settled on it and his descendants still occupy parts of it.

Section 8, containing 2,120 acres, extending from the Hudson River to the Tiena Kill, and one mile in width, was granted, April 27, 1688, to Colonel Jacobus Van Cortlandt, of New York, who, on April 10, 1738, conveyed it to Abram de Peyster, Margaret, his wife, John Chambers, Anna, his wife, and Peter Jay and Mary, his wife, all of New York City. The wives of these three men were the daughters of Van Cortlandt. They divided the tract, Mrs. Chambers taking the northerly third, Mrs. Jay the next third south, and Mrs. de Peyster the most southerly third. Mrs. de Peyster's third included the present village of Tenafly. Mrs. Chambers devised her share to her nephew, Sir James Jay, who, by his father's will, also got the latter's third. Sir James devised the north third to his son, Peter Jay, and the other third to his daughter, Mary O'Kill. The north or Chambers third was sold by the sheriff in 1820 to William Van Hook. Van Hook sold it in 1821 to Moses Field, who sold it to David O. Bell, in 1829. The three farms were then divided into lots and mapped, being known respectively as the Bell, O'Kill, and de Peyster tracts. This section was settled by the Van Buskirks, Bantas, Baldwins, Powlesses, Demarests, Westervelts, and other of the families already mentioned.

Section 9, adjoining No. 8 on the south, was patented by Carteret and his council to Isaac Bedlow, a Swede, June 20, 1669. It was also one mile in width, and extended westerly from the Hudson River to the Tiena Kill Brook. Its extent northward was to a point near Demarest, N. J., and it contained 2,120 acres. Bedlow had an Indian deed for this tract as early as 1661. He held it until 1728, when he sold it to Colonel Jacobus Van Cortlandt, of New York. Captain John Huyler, Johannes Rolofse Westervelt, Samuel Peters Demarest, Barent Jacobs Cole, and Peter Mathews Bogert became the owners and settlers on this section, and their descendants still occupy it.

Another section, No. 10, one mile wide, adjoining and extending north from the Bedlow tract, was granted by Carteret, July 30, 1669, to Balthazer de Hart. De Hart's heirs sold it March 5, 1701, to Bernardus Vervalen, Gideon. Vervalen, and Rynier Vervalen. Under a grant from the Colony of New York it was claimed by Captain Lancaster Symes, of London, who, prior to 1711, had sold parts of it to Casparus Mabie, Jacob Hertie, and others. Eventually, however, Bernardus Vervalen, by a grant from Queen Anne in 1709, and a release from Symes and his grantees in 1717, acquired the title to the whole tract and conveyed portions of it to Matthew M. Bogert, Peter M. Bogert, Cornelius Harmensen Tallman, Dowa Harmensen Tallman, Isaac Johns Meyer, Martin Powless, and Walter Parsells, who settled it. The remainder of the tract descended or was conveyed to Bernardus Vervalen's heirs, who also became settlers. Vervalen's sons were Isaac, Daniel, John, Frederick, Abraham, Jacobus, Bernardus, Gideon, and Cornelius. His daughters Alida, Cornelia, and Hester married, respectively, Hubartus Gerretsen Blawvelt, Peter Van Schuyven, and Jacob Cole.

Until 1772 the Colony of New York claimed that this tract was within its boundaries and so treated it.

The "L" shaped section, No. 11, adjoining this last tract on the north, contained 1,300 acres, and was also claimed to be within Symes's patent from the New York Colony. It remained wild and unoccupied until April 28, 1710, when Symes and his wife conveyed it to two brothers, Barent and Resolvert Naugle. It was an irregular shaped tract, extending, on the north side, from Hudson's River to the Tiena Kill. On the west it was narrow, but on the east end it extended from the de Hart tract northerly beyond the present south boundary of New York. The Naugle brothers divided it between them in June, 1748, Parent taking the north half and Resolvert the south half. The sons of Barent and Resolvert Naugle and their sons-in-law, Nicholas Demarest, Arie Auryansen, Tennis Van Houten, Roloff Van Houten, John W. Ferdon, and Roloff Stevens, together with William Ferdon, Daniel de Clark, John Parcells, and Peter Quidore, settled this tract.

The section No. 12, the next tract north of the Naugle tract, containing; 3,410 acres, extended northerly into the Colony of New York, and was granted by Governor Dongan, of New York, in 1687, to Dr. George Lockhart, a London physician. The title passed from Dr. Lockhart to his half-brother, Colonel William Merritt, whose heirs sold it to John Corbett, an English sea, captain, in 1703, who, at his death, devised it to his only child, Mary, wife of Henry Ludlow, of New York. The Ludlows sold it to the following persons, who settled it: Wilhelmus and John W. Ferdon, Hendrick (Ueisener (Gisner), his sons John and Nicholas Gisner, Matthias Concklin, Jacob Concklin, John Reyken (Riker), Abram Abrams Haring, Tennis Van Houten, Johannes Hyberts Blativvelt, John J. Naugle, John Sneden, Cornelius Smith, .Jonathan Lawrence, Nicholas Ackerman, William Campbell, and Jacob Van Weart, who settled that part lying within the present County of Bergen. The "Tappan patent," section 13, consisting of several thousand acres lying west of the Lockhart patent, was purchased from the Indians in 1681, and in 1687 patented by rGovernor Dongan, of New York, to Daniel de Clark, Peter Jansen Haring, Cosine Haring, Garret Steinmets, John de Vries (Van Dolsen), Jr., Claes Mannel, John Straatmaker, Staats de Groot, Lanibert Arianse (Smith), Arianse Lamberts (Smith), Cornelius Lainberts (Smith), Hyberts Gerrits (Blawvelt), Johannes Gerrits (Blawvelt), and Ide Cornelius Van Vorst, the Indian purchasers. In 1704 it was surveyed and mapped and a part of it partitioned between the last named persons and their heirs and assigns. A final division was made of the balance in 1720. The persons named in the two divisions, in addition to the above sixteen original purchasers, were Manuel Claesen, Lewis Claeson, Elizabeth Claeson (children of Claes Manuel, deceased), Barbara de Grout (widow of Staats de Groot, deceased), Garret Hyberts Blawvelt, Maritie Hyberts Blawvelt, and Dirke Hyberts Blawvelt (children of Huyberts Gerretse Blawvelt, deceased), Abram Johns Haring, Jacob Mattyce Flearboom, Cornelius Jansen Haring, Antje Meyer, John Harmensen Tallman, Henry Van Campen, Isaac Gerrets Blawvelt, Jacobus John de Vries (Van Dolsen), Abram Jansen Haring, Ryniere Ryserick, Laurence Reed, Daniel Blawvelt, Joseph Blawvelt, Jacob Blawvelt, Tunis, Roeloff, and Nicholas Van Houten, John Van Dolsen, John and Cornelius Eckerson, Jurie (Aaron) Tomassen, Gysbert Bogert, William de Graw, John Ward, Jacob Cole, Jacobus de Clark, Jr., Jeremiah Borroughs, Abram and France Van Salee, Jacob King, Conrad Hertie, and Myndert Myndertsen Hogencamp. Of these, all except the Claesens, Reed, Ward, Borroughs, and King became settlers on portions of it.

Early in 1669 Oratani, the great chief of the Indian tribes of the Hackensack Valley, in consideration of her services as interpreter between his people and the whites, presented to Mrs. Sarah Kierstead, of New York, a deed of the southerly part of section 14, containing 2,260 acres, described as " A neck of land between Hackensack River and Overpeck Creek, beginning at the north line thereof of Hackensack River at a swale brook that runs about twenty rods into the woods, thence to cross over upon a direct east and west line to Overpeck Creekk." The tract extended north as far as Nordhoff on the Overpeck, and to a point above Bogota on the Hackensack. Mrs. Kierstead was the eldest daughter of the celebrated Anneke Jans and the wife of Dr. Hans Kierstead, at that time New York's leading physician, with a residence on the corner of Pearl and Whitehall Streets. Dr. Kierstead died in 1660, leaving Sarah, his widow, and eight children. She afterward married Captain Elbert Elbertson (Stoothoff), of Flatlands, L. I., one of the purchasers of section 29. Upon his death she married for her third husband Cornelius Van Borsum, whom she also survived. She died in 1693. On June 24, 1669, Governor Carteret issued a patent to Mrs. Kierstead containing a condi- tion that the grantee should settle it within three years.

On January 6, 1676, Tantaqua, Carquetiein, Wechlauipaepeau, Hamougham, Hanagious, Anesaschere, and Poughquickquaise, sachems representing the Hackensack tribes, with the consent of Governor Philip Carteret, deeded to Laureuse Andriesen Van Buskich and company "a parcel of land commonly called by the name of New Hackensack, bounded on Old Hackensack, and from thence to a small kill adjoining to the great Indian field, called the Indian Castle' northward forward." Old Hackensack was the name given to the Demarest patents, which are mentioned later on, and the "Indian castle" was a little south of Palisades Park, opposite the mouth of Overpeck Creek. The description given in the grant covers, or was intended to cover, sections 14, 15, and 16, and indicates that Mrs. Kierstead either lost her title by failing to comply with the condition in her deed or conveyed her interest in section 14 to Laurence Andriesen and company.

During the year 1669 Governor Carteret patented sections 15, 16, 17, 18, and 19, each containing 2,000 acres, as follows: section 15, to Robert Van Quillian; section 16, to James Bollen; section 17, to Matthias Nichols; section 18, to William Pardon; and section 19, to Major John Berry. Each of these five patents contained a condition that the patentee should settle on his patent a certain number of families within six years. The grantees failed to comply with the conditions, and the patents were declared forfeited. Sections 14, 15, and 16 were afterward, in 1676, granted by the Indians to Laurence Andriesen (Van Buskirk) and company, the "company" consisting of John Corneliesen (Bogert), Martin Powleseu (Powles), Hendrick Joursen (Brinkerhoff), Roloff Lubbertsen WVesterfield (Westervelt), and John Loots, or Lodts. The patents (two or more) of Governor Carteret for the last mentioned sections designated them as " parts of New Hackensack." The lands described ex tended south from the Demarest patents at a point between High wood and Tenafly and were bounded west by IIackensack River and east by Overpeck Creek. Lady Elizabeth Carteret confirmed the patents on April 10, 1682. A large part of these patented lands was allotted to the patentees. Other portions of them were sold to Nicholas Lozier, Peter Vandelinda, and John, Peter, and Lawrence, the sons of Lawrence Andriesen (Van Buskirk), the latter of whom had the largest interest in them. The balance was sold or released by the patentees November 20, 1686, to Rolof Vandelinda, Albert Zabriskie, Dirk Epke (Banta), Lawrence Lavrencen (Van Buskirk), Cornelius Christianse, and Gerret Gellis Mandeville, who subsequently made a division between them. The subsequent owners and settlers in section 14 seem to have been John Zabriskie, Joost Zabriskie, Jacobus Hendricks Brinkerhoff, Jacob Van Wagoner, Samuel Demarest, Wiert Epke Banta, Hendrick Epke Banta, Garret Diedricks, Jacob Banta, Johannes Terhune, and Christiaen Zabriskie, as appears by a release which they executed June 19, 1763, of a tract which is declared to be a part of the Sarah Kierstead patent.

After the forfeiture of the titles to sections 17, 18, and 19, James Bollen claimed them under an alleged patent procured by him in 1672. Berry also claimed section 18, and the subsequent patentees of these three tracts were finally compelled to procure releases from both Bollen and Berry.

David Demarest, Sr., purchased from the Indians, June 8, 1677, (by estimation,) about 5,000 acres, including sections 17,18,19, and 20, and lands north of them, but received patents for only sections 18 and 19. Upon his death, in 1693, his lands were divided between his sons John, Samuel, and David, Jr., his nephew, John Durie, and his numerous grandchildren. His granddaughters married, respectively, Jacobus Slott (Slote), Peter Slott (Slote), Abram Canon, Thomas Ileyer, John Stewart, Abram Brower, James Christie, Peter Lubbertsen (Westervelt), Andries Jans Van Orden, Wiert Epke (Banta), Andries Lawrencen (Van Buskirk), Rynier Van Houten, Stephen Albertsen Terhune, Cornelius Epke Banta, Samuel Helms, Cornelius Van Horn, Jr., Peter Durie, Christian Debaun, Johannes Juriansen Westervelt, Jacobus Peack, and Benjamin Van Buskirk. All these, except Canon, Heyer, and Stewart, settled on portions of the original grant. Demarest's land was sometimes known as " Schraalenburgh " and sometimes as " Old Hackensack." Section No. 20 was settled by Samuel Demarest (son of David Demarest, Sr.), Jacobus Peack, Adolph Brower, Carel Debaun, John Van Schuyven, John Durie, Cornelius Jansen Haring, Cornelius Cornelissen Van Horn, John Hertie, and Abram Davids Demarest. Some of the grants were made by Governor Gawen Laurie and some by Peter Sonmans, representing the East New Jersey proprietors. The intermediate owners were Jurie Maris (Morris) and Ruloff and Hendrick Vandelinda, who, however, did not locate on any of the section, which was known as the North West Hook."

The first attempt to settle lands west of the Saddle River was made in 1681, when a patent was issued by Governor Carteret and his council to Jacob Cortelyou, Hendrick Smock, Rutgert Joosten, and others, for 3,525 acres of section 29, adjoining the Saddle River on the east and south, partly on the Passaic River and partly on a brook, on the west. This patent was declared forfeited for non-settlement. The second attempt was made seven years later (March 25, 1687), when section 18, containing 5,320 acres, described as lying between the Passaic and Saddle Rivers,-" beginning at the meeting of the said rivers and running northerly along the Passaic River, its several turns, reduced to a straight line,. four miles and thirty-six chains to a white oak tree marked on four sides at the Bound Brook, thence from the Bound Brook north east by a great Rock of Stone, eighty four chains, thence north east along the line of the Indian purchase, one hundred and eight chains, thence along Saddle River southwesterly to the place where it began. Being in length, reduced to a straight line, six miles and a half,"-was patented by the proprietors to nine persons, to wit: Colonel Richard Townley, of Elizabethtown, N. J.; Captain Elbert Elbertsen (Stoothoff), of Flatlands, L. I. ; Jaques (James) Cortelyou, of New Utrecht, L. I.; Richard Stillwell, of Staten Island, N. Y.; William Nicholls, of the City of New York; Catharine IHoagland, of Flatlands, L. I.; Peter Jacobus Marius (Morris), of the City of New York; and Roloff Joosten (Van Brunt) and Hendrick Matthiesen, of New Utrecht, L. I. The survivors of these persons, and the heirs of those deceased, partitioned the tract, May 16, 1692, and thereafter sold it to settlers as follows : Joshua Bos (Bush), Thomas Jurianse (Van Reipen). John Van Horn, John Post, Halmagh Van Houten, Garret Jurianse (Van Reipen), Garret Garretson (Van Wagoner), Garret Garretson (Van Wagoner), Jr., John Garretson (Van Wagoner), Peter Garretson (Van Wagoner), Dirck Barentsen, Thomas Fredericksen, Warner Burger, Abram Van Varrick, Laurence Toers, Peter Jacobsen Morris, David Laurencen Ackerman, Dirk Van Zyle, Hendrick Vandelinda, Jacob Marinus, Thomas F. and Andries F. Cadmus, and John Billfield. This section is sometimes called in deeds " Acquackannock " and sometimes " Slotterdam," and comprised the greater part of the present Township of Saddle River. The "Rock" referred to is supposed to have been what is now Glen Rock.

A portion of section 22 (adjoining Major Berry) was patented by Lady Elizabeth Carteret, in 1682, to Jaques (James) Laroux and Anthony Hendricksen. The same near Lady Carteret patented to Cornelius Mattys 420 acres adjoining Laroux on the north and 424 acres to Albert Zabriskie, adjoinin Mattvs on the north. Zabriskie seems to have acquired the title to the Mattys and Laroux purchases, and all the land west of himself, Laronx, and Mattys, as far as Sprout Brook.

North of Zabriskie. in section 22, lay lands natented to Claps Jansen Romeyn, fronting east on the Hackensack and extending to Sprout Brook. Romeyn conveyed parts of these to his sons, John, Albert, Daniel, and Claps Romeyn, and to David Ackerman, John Zabriskie. Peter Laroe, and Henry Van Giesen, husbands of his daughters Gerrebrecht, Elizabeth, Lydia, and Sarah, respectively. Jurian Westervelt, Isaac Van Giesen, Panlus Vanderbeck, and John Berdan each purchased farms from Romeyn, in this section, all bounding east on the Hackensack. Section 24 comprised the Kinderkamack patents, granted by Governor Gawen Laurie to David Demarest, Sr., his son John, his son-in-law John Durie, and Peter Franconier. The latter gold his portion to John Demarest, who a few years later conveyed it to Cornelius Claes Cooper. The Demarests, Duries, Coopers, and Van Wagoners were the principal settlers in this section. The Indian sachems who signed the grants in this vicinity were Mamche, Sackamaker, Coorang, Rawatones, and Towackhaek.

Section 21, known as the Paramus patent, containing 11,067 acres, was bought by Albert Zabriskie in 1662. Zabriskie's title to this tract was not confirmed by grants from the proprietors during his lifetime, but his son Jacob procured a release from Peter Sonnians, agent of the proprietors, May 13, 1731. In 1675 the sachems of the tribes of Northern New Jersey became indebted to Albert Zabriskie for a considerable sum, to secure the payment of which they verbally promised to convey to Zabriskie a large tract in Rockland County known as Narranshawe." The promise to convey was not, however, followed by the execution of a deed from the Indians, and in due course of tune a new set of sachems sold and conveyed the "Narranshawe" tract to other persons. These sachems were probably ignorant of the promises which their predecessors had made to Zabriskie. The latter demanded a fulfillment of the Indian promise and a deed from the sachems of lands in Bergen County N. J., equal in area and value to the " Narranshawe " tract. On June 1, 1772, Orachanap, Metachenak, Coorang, and Memerisconqua, then sachems of the tribes of Northern New Jersey, executed to Zabrikie a deed for 2,100 acres of land in Bergen County, described as bounded West by the Saddle River, North and East by Claes Jansen Romeyn, and South by Albert Zabriskie." This large tract, constituting parts of 21 and 23, was known as the New Paramus patent, but is frequently referred to as "Wieremus," and sometimes as "Paramus Highlands." Zabriskie procured grants from the proprietors of this last tract, which, added to his previous grant, made him one of the largest landholders among the original settlers. One-half of the tract last mentioned Zabriskie conveyed March 20, 1708, to Thomas Van Buskirk, of New Hackensack, who settled on it, and whose descendants still occupy portions of it. John George Achenbach, a German emigrant, together, with persons named Baldwin, Ackerman, and Conklin, settled on parts of it. Zabriskie's children and grandchildren settled in this section as well as in section 23. His sons were Jacob, John, Joost, Christian, and Henry.

Section 23, besides Zabriskie's 2,100-acre grant, included several patents granted at various times to Claes Jansen Romeyn and Jacob Zabriskie, son of Albert, who cut it up into farms and parceled it out to their children. Romeyn's children have already been named. Jacob Zabriskie's sons were Albert, Peter, Stephen, and Jacob, and his sons-in-law were Anthony Lozier, Peter Lozier, John Ackerman, and Sylvester Earle. These with families named Duersen, Stagg, Hopper, Bogert, Terhune, Meyer, Van Gelder, Trapagen, Verway, Tibout, Conklin, Volker, Banta, Vanderbeck, Van Blarcom, and Laroe settled in these several Paramus tracts.

Section 25, known as the " Old Hook Tract," consisting of 1,300 acres, was purchased from the Indians, April 24, 1702, by Jaques (James) La Roux and John Alyea. This tract was part of the share of Peter Sonmans, one of the proprietors of East New Jersey. On December 1, 1727, Nicholas Le Sieur (Lozier) purchased a one-third interest in it. The three owners then made a division of the tract between them, and on June 23, of the same year, Sonmans was induced to confirm the Indian gaunt by a deed in which the grantees named are Jaques (James) La Roux, Peter Alyea (son of John Alyea), Nicholas Lozier, Hendrick La Roux, and Samuel L-a Roux I sons of Jaques (James) Laroux). The tract was settled by the last named persons and their numerous sons and sons-in-law. Peter Van Buskirk, Andrew Hopper, Peter Debaun, Jacob Debaun, Richard Cooper, Daniel Duryea, and Jacob Cough purchased parts of it. Families named Bogert, Blawvelt, Vandelinda, Ackerman, Rutan, Demarest, Perry, and Quackenbush also became settlers on parts of the tract.

The southwest part of section 28 was called "Wierinius" and fell within a patent granted to Samuel Bayard, in 1703. The title passed from Bayard's heirs, by purchase, to Roloff Vandelinda, who died in New York in 1708. By his will he devised these lands to his son, Hendrick Vandelinda. The area of land devised to Hendrick is not given, but it was large, and by several deeds from Peter Sonmans, as agent of the proprietors, lie afterward acquired several other tracts in the vicinity. His lands were, as the deeds state, bounded on the south partly by Zabriskie and Romeyn and partly by the Musquampsont Brook, a branch of the Pascack River. He sold it in parcels to Rolof Vandelinda, Rev. Benjamin Vandelinda (pastor of Paramus Church), Frederick Wortendyke (the first settler at Pascack), Cornelius Haring, John and Albert Van Orden, Jacob Zabriskie, John Bogert, Rev. Bernard Van Duersen, Jacob Arents, John Durye, Daniel Haring, Carel Debaun, Abraham Post, David Hopper, Abram La Roux, Abraham Van Horne, and Rev. Samuel Verbryck (pastor of Tappan Church). The two " dominies " conveyed parts of their purchases to Garret and David Eckerson, John Forshee (Fiseur), Garet Haring, William Holdrum, Frederick Van Reiper, and Michael and John Ryer. West and north of the above Cornelius Mattys, William Sandford Van Emburgh, John Guest, Peter and Andrew Van Buskirk, Cornelius Epke Banta, James Johnston, and John Stagg secured patents from the proprietors. The locality of Arent's, Mattys's, and Van Emburgh's purchases was called "Awashawaughs's" plantation.

Nearly all of the above purchases and settlements were made between 1728 and 1732.

The lands comprising section 26, between the Hackensack River and the Pascack River, were within that part of the Honan and Hawdon patent which was purchased by John McEvers and Lancaster Symes, and at the division between McEvers and Symes it fell to McEvers. About 1,800 acres of this he sold to Dirk Cadmus, Garret Hybertsen Blawvelt, Jacob Flierboom, John Blawvelt, Abram Blawvelt, John Berry, Carel Debaun, Thomas Clark, Jonathan Rose, and Colonel Cooper. Owing to the long dispute between the Colonies of New York and New Jersey over the location of the boundary line between them but very few of the conveyances of lands in sections 26, 27, and 28 were ever recorded, and it is therefore next to impossible to locate all of the original settlers of these sections. It is known, however, from old gravestones and other sources that, besides those above mentioned, families named Demarest, Post, Merseles, Meyers, Storms, Mabie, Haring, Bogert, Banta, Holdrum, Cooper, Eckerson, Van Houten, Peack, Van Reiper, Westervelt, Hopper, Campbell, Zabriskie, Van Emburgh, and Peterson were among the earliest settlers of section 24.

Section 30 appears to have first been settled by the Ackermans. Garret Ackerman bought of the proprietors 478 acres butting on the Saddle River as early as 1712. David Ackerman and Andries Hopper purchased large tracts adjoining Garret on the south, while on the north of them were the purchases of Peter Van Buskirk and John Verway, in 1724, and William Sandford Van Emburgh and John Guest, in 1729.

On December 10, 1709, Peter Sonmans, styling himself "Sole Agent, Superintendent, General Attorney, and Recorder General" of the rest of the proprietors, conveyed to seven persons, to wit : John Auboineau (3-24), Elias Boudinot (3-24), Peter Franconier (7-24), Lucas Kierstead (2-24), John Barberie (3-24), Thomas Bayaux (2-24)2 Andrew Fresneau (2-24), and Peter Board (2-24), a tract between the Saddle and Ramapo Rivers, afterward known as the Ramapo patent. An- boineau, Boudinot, Barberie, Franconier, and Bayaux were Frenchmen. Kierstead was a Dutchman and Board was an Englishman. This tract contained 42,500 acres and was eight and nine-tenths miles in length from the head of Saddle River southerly to the junction of the Hohokus Brook with the Saddle River, from which point its boundary ran N. 67° W. 150 chains to a. great rock or stone called Painackapuka (now (lien Rock), thence N. 63° W. seven and twenty-nine-fortieths miles to the Raniapo River, thence N. 13°W. 7 7 chains to the top of the Ramapo mountains, thence along the top of the said mountains about nine and a half wiles, and thence southeasterly to the beginning. This included all of the present Township of Ridgewood, nearly all of Franklin and Hohokus Townships, and part of Orvil. William Bond surveyed and mapped it in 1709. The map is filed in the clerk's office at Hackensack.

On February 4, 1742, Franconier conveyed his interest to Theodore Valleau and David Stout, who, on August 10, 1752, conveyed to Madalene Valleau, daughter of William Franconier. In the same year the proprietors discovered, or affected to discover, that Sonmans's conveyance of December 10, 1709, to Auboineau and company was invalid, and forthwith took steps to regain the title. On March 29, 1753, John and William Burnett and Cortlandt Skinner, pursuant to a warrant of the proprietors, induced Madalene Valleau to execute a release to the proprietors of all her interest in the original 42,000 acres, upon receipt of a deed from the proprietors to her of 900 acres at Campgaw. This 900 acres, located in section 30, Mrs. Valleau afterward sold in parcels to Dirk and John Tiesbots (Tiebout), John Pullisfelt (Pullis), John Billfield, Isaac Bogert, William Winter, Barent Van Horn, and Harman Nax, who settled on it. Between 1699 and 1753 several grants had been made of portions of this 42,000 acres-some by the proprietors or their representatives, and some by the grantees of Soninans, under the deed of December 10, 1709. Thomas Hart, of Enfield, Middlesex County, England, procured a patent for several thousand acres in the locality called Preakness, then in Bergen County, but now in Passaic County. By his will in 1704 lie devised an undivided part of this tract to his sister, Patience Ashfield, and the other part to one Mercy Benthall.

Patience Ashfield's will, made in 1708, made Joseph Heale executor with power to sell. Thereupon Heale with Mercy Benthall and Richard Ashfield, heir of Patience Ashfield, sold their patented lands in parcels, the earliest purchasers being Anthony Beem, Conrad Lyn, Abram Lyn, Derrick Day, Peter Post, Cornelius and John Blinkerhoff,

On December 10, 1709, Peter Sonmans, styling himself "Sole Agent, Superintendent, General Attorney, and Recorder General" of the rest of the proprietors, conveyed to seven persons, to wit : John Auboineau (3-24), Elias Boudinot (3-24), Peter Franconier (7-24), Lucas Kierstead (2-24), John Barberie (3-24), Thomas Bayaux (2-24)2 Andrew Fresneau (2-24), and Peter Board (2-24), a tract between the Saddle and Ramapo Rivers, afterward known as the Ramapo patent. An- boineau, Boudinot, Barberie, Franconier, and Bayaux were Frenchmen. Kierstead was a Dutchman and Board was an Englishman. This tract contained 42,500 acres and was eight and nine-tenths miles in length from the head of Saddle River southerly to the junction of the Hohokus Brook with the Saddle River, from which point its boundary ran N. 67° W. 150 chains to a. great rock or stone called Painackapuka (now (lien Rock), thence N. 63° W. seven and twenty-nine-fortieths miles to the Raniapo River, thence N. 13°W. 7 7 chains to the top of the Ramapo mountains, thence along the top of the said mountains about nine and a half wiles, and thence southeasterly to the beginning. This included all of the present Township of Ridgewood, nearly all of Franklin and Hohokus Townships, and part of Orvil. William Bond surveyed and mapped it in 1709. The map is filed in the clerk's office at Hackensack.

On February 4, 1742, Franconier conveyed his interest to Theodore Valleau and David Stout, who, on August 10, 1752, conveyed to Madalene Valleau, daughter of William Franconier. In the same year the proprietors discovered, or affected to discover, that Sonmans's conveyance of December 10, 1709, to Auboineau and company was invalid, and forthwith took steps to regain the title. On March 29, 1753, John and William Burnett and Cortlandt Skinner, pursuant to a warrant of the proprietors, induced Madalene Valleau to execute a release to the proprietors of all her interest in the original 42,000 acres, upon receipt of a deed from the proprietors to her of 900 acres at Campgaw. This 900 acres, located in section 30, Mrs. Valleau afterward sold in parcels to Dirk and John Tiesbots (Tiebout), John Pullisfelt (Pullis), John Billfield, Isaac Bogert, William Winter, Barent Van Horn, and Harman Nax, who settled on it. Between 1699 and 1753 several grants had been made of portions of this 42,000 acres-some by the proprietors or their representatives, and some by the grantees of Soninans, under the deed of December 10, 1709. Thomas Hart, of Enfield, Middlesex County, England, procured a patent for several thousand acres in the locality called Preakness, then in Bergen County, but now in Passaic County. By his will in 1704 lie devised an undivided part of this tract to his sister, Patience Ashfield, and the other part to one Mercy Benthall.

Patience Ashfield's will, made in 1708, made Joseph Heale executor with power to sell. Thereupon Heale with Mercy Benthall and Richard Ashfield, heir of Patience Ashfield, sold their patented lands in parcels, the earliest purchasers being Anthony Beem, Conrad Lyn, Abram Lyn, Derrick Day, Peter Post, Cornelius and John Blinkerhoff, Jacob Arents, Philip Schuyler, George Ry erson, Rip Van Dam, John de Reimer, John Berdan, and Cornelius Jans Doremus, who, with the exception of Van Dam, were the principal settlers in that locality. The lands were in section 31.

Andrew Johnston, Edward Vaughn, William Skinner, and George Leslie, all Scotchmen, received a patent for about 1,000 acres in the same locality, which was sold, among others, to John Berdan, John Bogert, Gysbert Van Blarcom, and Abram Garretsen (Van Wagoner).

In 1699 George Willocks and Andrew Johnston procured a patent for several thousand acres, consisting of tracts in various localities, west of Saddle River at Preakness, The Ponds, Paramus, etc. These lands were mostly in section 31, and were sold, among others, to John Laurence Ackerman, Jacobus Laurence Ackerman, Jacobus Kipp, John Romaine, Jacob Kipp, Tennis Hennion, David Hennion, Edo Merseles. Martin Ryerson, John Bogert, Jacob Outwater, Nicholas Slingerland, John Le Toere, John Berdan, Samuel Van Saun, Ruloff Romaine, George Vreeland, Stephen Camp, and Zekiel Harris.

What was, and is still, known as the Totowa section was purchased by Anthony Brockholst and company. On Brockholst's death it passed to his son Henry, who sold it, among others, to David Marinus, Gerrebrecht Van Houten, Halmagh Van Houten, Bastian Van Giesen, Abram Godwin, and Martin Ryerson, in 17 68. These lands were in section 31.

George F. Ryerson procured a patent for a considerable tract in 1748, adjoining north and east on the Preakness patent, which he sold to persons having similar names to Urie Westervelt, John Stagg, John Romaine (Romeyn), and others. These were in section 31.

Peter Franconier and others had sold several parcels, in the meantime, on the west side of Saddle River, in section 30. Garret Van Dieu. Peter Johns Van Blarcom, and Dr. John Van Emburgh had procured from them the land between the Saddle River and Hohokus Brook, for some distance northward, and Major Isaac Kingsland, Peter Johns Van Blarcom, Hendrick Hopper, and Garret Van Dyke owned extensive tracts west of Hohokus Brook. John and William Van Voorhys, John Rutaii, and John Berdan had procured grants and were located at what is now Wyckoff, where later families named Van Horn, Halstead, Ackerman, Winter, Van Blarcom, Stur, Folly, and others located.

By reason of these many prior titles the proprietors, after they had acquired the release from Magdalene Valleau, in 1753, found them- selves face to face with the exceedingly difficult task of dealing with numbers of settlers who had supposed their land titles were without flaw. The proprietors undertook this task, getting some settlers to take leases, – thereby admitting the title of the proprietors, – purchasing from some, and compromising with others. Many of the settlers would make no settlement, the courts were appealed to, and a bitter controversy ensued, which was not entirely settled until 1790. In 1767 the whole 42,000 acre tract was surveyed and mapped by George Ryerson, Jonathan Hampton, and Benjamin Morgan. The original map, a piece of sheepskin four feet square, is in the surveyor general's office at Perth Amboy, N. J. It is badly worn, and much of the writing is obliterated therefrom by time and use. After the map was filed the lots were, from time to time, leased or sold to actual settlers

In 1789 John Stevens, James Parker, and Walter Rutherford obtained a grant of 5,000 acres of the Ramapo patent, made up of many tracts located in different places. The following persons purchased from Stevens and company and from the proprietors and became settlers on the Ramapo patent or on lands south of it: Albert H. Zabriskie, John Fell, Albert A. Terhune, Baron Steuben, Cornelius Har- ing, Jacob de Baun, Abraham Van Voorhis, John D. Ackerman, John Doremus, Nicholas Hopper, David Bertholf, Henry Van Allen (the latter at The Ponds), Abraham Laroe, John Christie, Benjamin Westervelt, James Traphagen, Andrew Hopper, John Stevens, Andrew Van Orden (the last two at New Foundland), Matthias Stuart, Garret Hopper, John Moore, James Crouter, John Ramsey, Jacobus Van Buskirk, John Zabriskie, Conrad Wannamaker, Derrick Wannamaker, Henry Smith (the last named at New Foundland), Peter Haring, Abram Stevens, Rolof Westervelt, Ryer Ryerson (The Ponds), Gerret Garretson, Tennis Van Zyle, Andrew Van Allen, Edward Jeffers, Cornelius de Graw, Richard de Graw, John Neafie, Derrick Tise, Isaac Conklin, David Simons. Daniel Rutan, Christiaen, Henry, and Peter Wannamaker, Douglas Caines, Adolph Sivert, Solomon Peterson, Conrad Massinger, William Jenkins, John Meyer, John Winter, John Straat, Joseph Wood, and Peter Sturr, and also families named Fitch, Chapped, Oldis, Courter, Camp, Fountain, Folly, Fox, Osborn, Parker, Bamper, Dater, Frederick, Youmans, Mowerson, Packer, Quacken- bush, Bush, Vanderhoff, Van Dine, Van Houten, Terhune, Bogert, John Arie Ackerman, and John Labagh.

On November 11, 1695, the proprietors granted to Anthony Brockholst, Arent Schuyler, and Colonel Nicholas Bayard section 32, 4,000 acres of land, on the east side of Pequannock and Passaic Rivers, one and a half miles wide, and running northerly from near Little Falls, up the Passaic River, along the Pompton River four and a half miles. This was then in Bergen County, now in Passaic. Both Schuyler and Brockholst located on the tract on the east bank of the Pompton River a little south of Pompton Lake. The purchase was made for mining purposes, but the grantees conveyed the greatest part of it December 17, 1701, to George Ryerson, John Meet, Samuel Berry, David Mandeville, and Hendrick Mandeville. They settled on por- tions of it and sold other portions to Elias Smith, Michael Vanderbeck, Thomas Juriansen (Van Reiper), Peter Van Zyle, Gerebrecht Gerrebrants, John Westervelt, Michael Hearty (Hartie), Casparus Schuyler, Dirk Van Reiper, Steven Bogert, Cornelius Van Horn, Garret Bertholf, Michael Demott, and Rolof Jacobs.

In 1764 Oliver Delaney, Henry Cuyper, Jr., and Walter Rutherford, representing the proprietors, sold to Peter Hasenclaver what are known as the Ringwood and Long Pond tracts, in the northwest part of Bergen County, containing about 12,000 acres. This is now in Passaic County. The lands were first patented to and occupied by Cornelius Board, James Board, Joseph Board, John Ogden, David Ogden, Sr., David Ogden, Jr., Uzal Ogden, Samuel Governeur, Thomas Ward, John Morris, David Stevens, and Andrew Bell.

It would require too much space to give the names of all those who purchased or settled on the Ramapo, Pequannock, Totowa, Preakness, and other patents of lands west of the Saddle River. The reader will note that nearly all the surnames given of settlers west of the Saddle River are the same as of those settling east of that river, thus indicating that the Ramapo patent and the lands south of it were settled principally by the descendants of those who settled the older parts of Bergen and Hudson Counties. It would therefore be a repetition of names to describe in detail the numerous sub-divisions of the Ramapo and other tracts.

view all

Cornelis Hendricksen Van Vorst's Timeline

1580
1580
Nederlands
1607
June 13, 1607
Age 27
Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands
1614
1614
Age 34
Belgium
1629
1629
Age 49
Amsterdam, Montgomery, NY
1634
1634
Age 54
New Netherlands
1635
1635
Age 55
Ahasymus, New Netherland, NJ
1638
July 9, 1638
Age 58
Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands