About Augusta Maria Vanderplancke
Gestorven aan boord van de Titanic
Ticket nummer 345764
Sources: Contract Ticket List, White Star Line 1912 (National Archives, New York)
- Name: Mr Manuel Gonçalves Estanislau
- Born: Sunday 21st June 1874
- Age: 37 years
- Occupation: General Labourer
- 3rd Class passenger
- First Embarked: Southampton on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 3101306 , £7 1s
- Died in the sinking.
- Body Not Recovered
Manuel Gonçalves Estanislau, 38, agricultural labourer, was born on 21 June 1874 in Ladeira e Lamaceiros, Arco da Calheta, Calheta, Madeira Island, the son of Joaquim Gonçalves Estanislau and Maria de Jesus.
He was married on 9 February 1899 in Arco da Calheta to Maria Augusta da Encarnação, aged 23, born in Ledo e Vinhático, Arco da Calheta, Madeira Island, the daughter of Filipe de Freitas and of Maria Augusta de Aguiar. They had five children: Maria, Evangelina, Manuel, Conceição and Francisco.
Manuel decided to emigrate to the United States of America in order to send money home to help raise his five children. Manuel was granted passport number 580 on 30 March 1912 by the Civil Government of Funchal. His destination was New York. He travelled from Madeira Island to England, and boarded the Titanic at Southampton as a third class passenger (ticket number SOTON/O.Q. 3101306, £7 1s), together with his friends Domingos Fernandes Coelho and José Neto Jardim. Manuel died in the sinking. His body, if recovered, was never identified.
Mrs Estanislau received the news of her husband's death by telegram. She did not remarry, raised the children alone and died in the 1950s. All their children are now deceased (the last, Conceição, died around 1996, aged 90). Nowadays, the Estanislau family lives in Madeira Island (where Maria, Manuel and Francisco remained) and Brazil (where Evangelina and Conceição emigrated to).
- Christening Certificate
- Marriage Certificate
- Passport Grant
- Contract Ticket List, White Star Line 1912 (National Archives, New York; NRAN-21-SDNYCIVCAS-55)
- Marriages, births, deaths and injuries that have occurred on board during the voyage (PRO London, BT 100/259-260)
- Arquivo Distrital do Funchal
- Maria Aldora Estanislau, Portugal
- José Luis, Portugal
- Filipe Prista Lucas, Portugal
Augusta Maria Vanderplancke's Timeline
April 15, 1912
Noord Atlantische Oceaan