Karl Alfred Backström
|Also Known As:||"From: Kejtala - Strömfors (Ruotsinpyhtää) near Lovisa - Southern Finland."|
|Death:||Died in TITANIC at sea|
|Cause of death:||Died in the sinking. Body Not Recovered|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Karl Alfred Backström
About Karl Alfred Backström
- Name: Mr Karl Alfred Backström
- Born: Wednesday 14th January 1880
- Age: 32 years
- Last Residence: in Kejtala Finland
- Occupation: General Labourer
- 3rd Class passenger
- First Embarked: Southampton on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 3101278 , £15 17s
- Destination: New York City New York United States
- Died in the sinking.
- Body Not Recovered
Mr Karl Alfred Backström, 32, was born on January 14, 1880. He worked as a carpenter and lived in Kejtala, Strömfors (Ruotsinpyhtää), near Lovisa, Southern Finland.
Karl had been in the USA previously, but returned about 1911 and married Mathilda Gustafsson. However, the followng year he got an offer as foreman for some construction work in USA and he and Mathilda decided to go. He wanted to work with people he knew and persuaded her brothers Johan Birger Gustafsson and Anders Vilhelm Gustafsson to accompany them. Mathilda was 6 months pregnant when they started. They travelled from Hangö to Hull on the Polaris and boarded the Titanic at Southampton, their tickets cost 618 Finnish Marks (£25.7s).
Karl, Johan and Anders were lost in the sinking and Maria decided to go back to Finland, where she arrived on 9th May 1912. She later received £325 in damages for her loss.
Karl Alfred's body was never found.
- Claes-Göran Wetterholm (1988, 1996, 1999) Titanic. Prisma, Stockholm. ISBN 91 518 3644 0
- Leif Snellman, Finland
- Claes-Göran Wetterholm, Sweden
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Mrs Maria Mathilda Backström
Karl Alfred Backström's Timeline
January 14, 1880
April 15, 1912
TITANIC at sea