Carl Oscar Vilhelm Gustafsson's Top 9 Matches
About Carl Oscar Vilhelm Gustafsson Asplund
- Name: Mr Carl Oscar Vilhelm Gustafsson Asplund
- Born: Sunday 7th May 1871
- Age: 40 years
- Last Residence: in Alseda Småland Sweden
- Occupation: General Labourer
- 3rd Class passenger
- First Embarked: Southampton on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 347077 , £31 7s 9d
- Destination: Worcester Massachusetts United States
- Died in the sinking.
- Body recovered by: Mackay-Bennett (No. 142)
- Buried: Old Swedish Cemetery Worcester Massachusetts United States
Mr Carl Oscar Vilhelm Gustafsson Asplund, 40, was born on 7 May 1871 the son of Kristina Adlene Samuelson of Repperda, Gustafsgård, Ädelfors, Jönköping.
Carl Asplund, a farmer from Alseda village, Småland, Sweden, was married to Selma Augusta Emilia Johansson.
Carl and Selma Asplund had both lived in USA for some time, they got married there on 9 May (1896 ?). They returned to Sweden with their children Filip Oscar, Clarence Gustaf Hugo, Carl Edgar and his twin Lillian Gertrud.
Another son Edvin Rojj Felix was born in Alseda village in 1909. Their son Filip was by then very keen to move back to USA. Finally it was decided that all the family should emigrate once again to Worcester, Massachusettts.
The family boarded the Titanic at Southampton, they were travelling from Alseda to 151 Vernon St. Worcester Massachusetts.
When the accident occured Carl put all of their important papers including the cash in his pockets. Selma and the children Lilian & Felix were pushed into lifeboat 15 but the rest of the family were lost. Carl's body was later found (#142). Neither money nor other papers of value were found on the body. He was buried in the Swedish cemetery in Worcester, Massachusetts.
N0. 142. - MALE. - ESTIMATED AGE, 35. - HAIR & MOUSTACHE, FAIR. CLOTHING - Brown coat and vest; striped trousers; black boots.
EFFECTS - Gold watch; two memo books; gold chain and locket; brooch marked "F. of A."; keys; knife; plain gold ring.
NO MARKS ON BODY OR CLOTHING.
THIRD CLASS (7 TICKETS). - NAME - CARL ASPLUND.
Neither Selma nor Carl's mother appear to have claimed compensation, but the Mansion House Fund paid 2699.52 Kr (£148) on 8 March 1913 to Selma and 875.52 Kr (£48) to Carl's mother.
- Record of Bodies and Effects: Passengers and Crew, S.S. Titanic (Public Archives of Nova Scotia) (#142)
- Mansion House Titanic Relief Fund Booklets and Minute Books
- Claes-Göran Wetterholm (1988, 1996, 1999) Titanic. Prisma, Stockholm. ISBN 91 518 3644 0
- Claes-Göran Wetterholm, Sweden
- Leif Snellman, Finland
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Master Edvin Rojj Felix Asplund
- Mrs Selma Augusta Emilia Asplund
- Master Carl Edgar Asplund
- Master Filip Oscar Asplund
- Master Clarence Gustaf Hugo Asplund
- Miss Lillian Gertrud Asplund
Carl Oscar Vilhelm Gustafsson Asplund's Timeline
May 7, 1871
December 12, 1898
September 17, 1902
October 21, 1906
October 21, 1906
March 19, 1909
April 15, 1912
TITANIC at sea
Worcester, Worcester, MA, USA