Georges Youssef Touma
|Death:||Died in United States|
|Cause of death:||Cerebral Vascular Accident (Stroke)|
Son of Darwis Touma and Hanna Youssef Touma
|Occupation:||Grocery Store Owner and Real Estate|
|Managed by:||Laura Louise Miller|
About Georges Youssef Touma
- Name: Master Georges Youssef ("George Thomas") Touma
- Born: Tuesday 9th February 1904
- Age: 8 years
- Last Residence: in Tibnin Lebanon
- 3rd Class passenger
- First Embarked: Cherbourg on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 2650 , £15 4s 11d
- Destination: Dowagiac Michigan United States
- Rescued (boat C)
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
- Died: Monday 9th December 1991
- Cause of Death: Cerebral Vascular Accident (Stroke)
- Buried: Crestwood Memorial Gardens Grand Blanc Michigan United States
Master Georges Youssef, 7, was born on 9 February 1904 in Tibnin, Syria (Lebanon) the son of Darwish Touma and Anna Razi (Rassey).
He boarded the Titanic at Cherbourg with his mother and sister Maria. They were travelling to Dowagiac to join his father Darwis who had previously settled there.
The family travelled as third class passengers and were rescued in Collapsible C.
George had a grocery and real estate business and also served as the first mayor of Burton after that city was incorporated.
George often reflected how he and his older sister used several vacant staterooms on the Titanic as their playrooms during the voyage. During his retirement years, Mr Thomas often spoke about his experiences on the Titanic. Although confined to a wheelchair, he attended a reunion of survivors in 1982 in Philadelphia. He lived alternately between his home in Michigan, and a winter home near Phoenix, Arizona.
He died 9th December 1991, at the age of 87.
- Dowagiac Daily News, May 3, 1912, Article
- State of Michigan Department of Public Health Certificate of Death
- Flint Journal, December 11, 1991, Obituary
- Contract Ticket List, White Star Line 1912 (National Archives, New York; NRAN-21-SDNYCIVCAS-55)
- South Bend Tribune, 13 February, 1998, Titanic Recollections
- David Bronson, USA
- Michael A. Findlay, USA
- Phillip Gowan, USA
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Mrs Hanna Youssef Touma
- Miss Maria Youssef ("Mary Thomas") Touma
Georges Youssef Touma's Timeline
April 1, 1870
St Lawrence, NY, USA
February 9, 1904
Michigan, United States
December 9, 1991