About Hammab Hassad
Mr Hammad Hassab, 27, was born in Cairo, Egypt. His brother Said lived at Mena House, Cairo. He had been employed by wealthy New Yorker Henry Sleeper Harper as a dragoman (guide or interpreter). He boarded the Titanic at Cherbourg. His ticket number was PC 17572 (Harper).
Hammad Hassab, was supposedly quite a handsome man, but nobody would go near him. He was unmarried. Mr Harper had decided to bring him along on the Titanic more as a joke than because he any longer required his services. They were rescued by the Carpathia in lifeboat 3.
He sent a Marconigramm, which was transmitted on 18 April 1912 at 5.20 am, to his brother :
Said Hassat Mena House Cairo, Egypt All safe Hammad
Name: Mr Hammad Hassab
- Age: 27 years
- Last Residence: in Cairo Egypt
- Occupation: Servant to Mrs Myna Harper
- 1st Class passenger
- First Embarked: Cherbourg on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 17572 , £76 14s 7d
- Cabin No.: D49
- Rescued (boat 3)
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912